Home

Indiana Jones 5

Udvarnoky

I agree and understand the sentiment. I was merely using the news article you posted as a way to state my appreciation for the possibility of a new character. Then again, if I was Disney I'd spin this off and call it something else. Perhaps this is why they haven't yet released the film's title, I wonder.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lagomorph01 said:

I don’t care if the follow up is male or female, I just don’t like a movie as a vessel to pass the torch. Just make a good movie, not a way to milk the franchise for another 30 years.

I feel you're being a bit sensitive to this. We have no idea what their plans are, and more importantly we have no idea what any new film might be like. Honestly it just sounds as though her character has worked really well in the new Indy and they're thinking of a spin-off just for her. If that spin-off is great, then what's the issue? I don't care where characters come from, or if they're part of a franchise. Marvel have made 20+ very enjoyable movies. Are they "milking a franchise" or are they making good films? 

Just look at The Matrix 4. Nobody was particularly excited until they saw the trailer. A good film is a good film. Let's just judge whatever comes on its own merit. Plus Phoebe Waller Bridge is amazing.

Maybe I'm a bit more sceptical than you. It's kind of an ongoing irritation to me that Hollywood is just milking franchises dry to the bone. The magic of Hollywood to me is that new ideas were being tested and the most wonderful things came out of them. These days it just seems that they're trying to keep every cashcow from the 70's, 80's and 90's alive, while the ideas have long lost their freshness.

Disney is one of the worst offenders of this, in my opinion. I haven't been enthousiastic about Star Wars since the prequels came out, but somehow Disney managed to make the franchise even more fragmented and illogical, with zero respect for the original vision or characters. I get that the Marvel universe is awesome to some people, (at least they're doing something fresh with those franchises,) but even that formula is starting to get stale and unfollowable.

In short, I'm very sceptical of a new Indiana Jones film in general (especially without Spielberg and Lucas at the helm), and news of CGI de-aging and preparing characters for a spin-off are only making me feel more uneasy.

And Thunderpeel, you're right. I'm very sensitive about Indy. He's my #1 hero from when I was younger. I just don't want to see him dragged through the mud (again.) I'd rather have them let sleeping dogs lie.

• 4 weeks later...

i am looking at the pictures and i begin to be very sad , its like they could do the 4 movie the fate of atlantis and to end it , why to bring to the 4 and  5 movies  the soviet , bring the true enemy of indy the Nazis .

but i am going to see it because i am fan of indy

I know almost nothing about the new movie but they can’t really use the Nazis unless it’s in flashbacks can they?

The original movies were set not long before the end of WW2, and Crystal Skull was set in the 50s — long after the Nazis were a thing of the past. This movie is presumably set even more recently, i.e. 60s or 70s? So Nazis are off the table really.

I guess they could contrive some top secret Nazi group that lives on, but it really wouldn’t have the same gravitas as the actual German war machine at the height of its power dedicating resources to the supernatural.

With regard to the involvements of Nazis...

SPOILERS

The evidence points to the storyline taking place in the "present" of 1969, but that there will be a prologue sequence set during WWII. One thought is that Mads Mikkelsen plays an ex-Nazi who could be introduced in that prologue.

Well, at this point I'll be happy just to hear they've got the thing safely in the can. It's been a long, bumpy ride, and I think there's still a substantial amount of shooting to get through. At least Ford's looking good and the locations seem like a welcome return to globe-trotting after an installment of soundstage-trotting.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I just can't bring myself to getting excited yet. The trailer will surely push me over the edge (I know KOTCS's trailer did), but 4 missed the mark on so many aspects, even after the promise of going absolutely old-school with it. Granted, the switch to Mangold could provide enough new ideas to result in a great movie, but I'll stay sceptical until seeing it.

What I AM excited about to no end is the prospect of one last John Williams soundtrack. The last soundtrack of his career, and it will be Indy. How amazing is that?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Udvarnoky said:

Shame there won't be one more Struzan poster to go with it.

That's really sad. And he's absolutely adamant in mentioning his retirement whenever it's brought up. In theory it could mean that it's just a marketing ploy to have them reveal "one last Struzan" poster next year, but that's probably too optimistic.

6 hours ago, Laserschwert said:

I just can't bring myself to getting excited yet. The trailer will surely push me over the edge (I know KOTCS's trailer did), but 4 missed the mark on so many aspects, even after the promise of going absolutely old-school with it. Granted, the switch to Mangold could provide enough new ideas to result in a great movie, but I'll stay sceptical until seeing it.

I’m not sold on it either. Frankly I would have preferred Indy to stay with the original trilogy. Those movies are all awesome in their own right. Spielberg, Lucas and Ford were the right people at the right time, lightning in a bottle. You can’t just replicate something like that (although that doesn’t stop Hollywood from trying).
Also Harrison Ford is pushing 80, I question how believable he’ll be jumping, falling and kicking and punching all over the place, (and I shudder at the thought of a CGI de-aged Ford.)

Maybe I sound like an old grouch, but Indy’s my favourite hero of all time. I’d hate to see them ruïn him (arguably a second time).

6 hours ago, Laserschwert said:

What I AM excited about to no end is the prospect of one last John Williams soundtrack. The last soundtrack of his career, and it will be Indy. How amazing is that?

Is it his last soundtrack before retiring? That IS awesome! I hope it’ll be as epic as Last Crusade and that the editing won’t be too fast, so he’ll really have time to create something beautiful in it’s own right!

2 hours ago, Lagomorph01 said:

Is it his last soundtrack before retiring?

Yeah, Indy 5 and Spielberg's "The Fabelmans", and the latter seems to be already finished. Obviously he won't stop composing, as he's always said he'd do that until he drops dead, but no full fledged Hollywood soundtrack with tight deadlines.

Edited by Laserschwert
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Laserschwert said:

That's really sad. And he's absolutely adamant in mentioning his retirement whenever it's brought up. In theory it could mean that it's just a marketing ploy to have them reveal "one last Struzan" poster next year, but that's probably too optimistic.

The director has courted Struzan publicly, via twitter, so I still won't rule it out completely.

Then again, it was the Cringedumb of the Rectal Dull poster that broke Sallah's camel's back in 2008. According to "The Art of Drew Struzan", it was literally the poster that forced him into retirement.

It would be neat to have this "end of an era" bonus too. The last Indiana Jones with the last John Williams soundtrack and the last Drew Struzan poster. But you can't have everything, I guess.

• 3 months later...