Home

Indiana Jones 5

Udvarnoky

12 minutes ago, Marius said:

I do like the fridge though, it‘s so outrageous it makes me happy they went for it. I especially liked the end image, Indy looking at the mushroom cloud. Talking about realism bores me to death.

People who hate on the fridge are 100% wrong. It is stupid but it's good. Its the actual fun part of that scene. People hating on (and fixating on, and memeifying) that fridge scene was actually one of the tangible moments where I realized my taste was fracturing from a bunch of people I knew, and where I felt like memes were starting to overpower peoples actual personal opinions. This is to say: that is an early moment I realized I was getting old.

(I think that is a bad movie, though, to be clear!)

• Like 2

The fridge scene is just as improbable as the jumping out of a plane in a lifeboat… and I love it! I also really like the image of that tired, grizzly Indiana Jones running through the pastel tinted , happy 50’s neighbourhood!

I actually think the beginning of the movie is pretty decent, even though it has it’s flaws. It’s the end when it really get’s sloppy.

I do have the tendency to skip this one when I do a rewatch of every Indy movie. I think that says enough.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Marius said:

Oh man, so: I enjoyed Crystal Skull a lot back then. But I remember liking it because I didn‘t want to dislike it. I defended it mostly because hating on it bummed me out.

I should watch it again, it‘s been ages.

I do like the fridge though, it‘s so outrageous it makes me happy they went for it. I especially liked the end image, Indy looking at the mushroom cloud. Talking about realism bores me to death.

I did something similar. Then I got called out on it. Then this happened. 

https://mixnmojo.com/features/sitefeatures/Excerpts-from-the-Slack-Indiana-Jones-and-the-Kingdom-of-the-Crystal-Skull

8 hours ago, Marius said:

Oh man, so: I enjoyed Crystal Skull a lot back then. But I remember liking it because I didn‘t want to dislike it. I defended it mostly because hating on it bummed me out.

I should watch it again, it‘s been ages.

Crystal Skull is definitely flawed, but it's problems are mainly to do with a lacklustre villain and muddled plot, rather than the fridge or Shia Labouf. Plus I think most people balked at the adding of aliens... Indy had always been about mysticism to most people. Adding a new supernatural element felt wrong (even though from the beginning Lucas wanted to do a haunted house story with Indy, and probably always had these other elements in mind -- the three previous films used religion for the supernatural elements, and it seemed to fit well).

Anyway, I think Temple of Doom is an objectively poor movie that gets forgiven by those who grew up watching it. It sails along on Spielberg's direction and Ford's charisma (plus nostalgia from the audience), and not much else. Whether it's an uneven as Skull, I don't know, but it's close if you ask me.

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

13 minutes ago, Udvarnoky said:

They're close, huh?

temple-doom-movie-screencaps.com-12402.j

crystal-skull-movie-screencaps.com-13471

My prescription probably just needs adjustment.

404 🤷‍♂️

And in Crystal Skull's defence, a lot of the complaints were misunderstandings from the audience:

• Yes, they did build model homes, along with furniture and appliances and blow them up with atomic bombs (to see how the average American home would withstand a blast).

• Yes, Capuchin monkeys do sometimes have a similar hairstyle to Mutt's 50s look. (That's why the monkeys help him...)

• Yes, certain breeds of ants have been known to climb on top of each other to reach things higher than them.

And none of their representations are any less realistic than the banquet in Temple of Doom... it's all dialled up to 11.

Another thing that bugs people (including me) is how the film LOOKS... Lucas shot on location but then wanted to try a new technique: Augmenting the location with CGI. The result ended up looking weird and fake :(

8 minutes ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

Another thing that bugs people (including me) is how the film LOOKS...:(

How it looks is the furthest thing from a negligible point for a movie. The idea that it's ugly is a matter of taste (mine, for example), but I think the aesthetic does real damage to the movie's sense of immersion. It's not like these adventures have ever been about verisimilitude, but they've at least felt like they took place on Planet Earth, in physical, tactile environments where gravity might actually have an influence. The smeary, self-conscious look is distancing, and without immediacy, you can't have stakes or peril. That's just an upfront, totally gratuitous liability before you consider the shortcomings of the writing.

But I will fully admit that for the imaginary sect of people that were disappointed by the movie on the basis that they didn't believe ants could climb on top of each other, you've set the record straight. ;

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Udvarnoky said:

How it looks is the furthest thing from a negligible point for a movie. The idea that it's ugly is a matter of taste (mine, for example), but I think the aesthetic does real damage to the movie's sense of immersion. It's not like these adventures have ever been about verisimilitude, but they've at least felt like they took place on Planet Earth, in physical, tactile environments where gravity might actually have an influence. The smeary, self-conscious look is distancing, and without immediacy, you can't have stakes or peril.

I agree, it's huge problem for the movie. I literally said it bugged me in the sentence you were replying to... 

8 minutes ago, Udvarnoky said:

But I will fully admit that for the imaginary sect of people that were disappointed by the movie on the basis that they didn't believe ants could climb on top of each other, you've set the record straight. ;

All of those examples were actual fanboi rantings on the internet (and podcasts) I heard from the time of the movie's release. (You really think I'd just pick something so random as that?)

3 hours ago, Lagomorph01 said:

I think it went downhill after the Russian camp. And the first half hour wasn’t that superb… I didn’t feel a thing when “ol’ buddy, ol’ pal” Mac betrayed Indy. Totally useless beginning of a totally useless arc.

This is so true. It was the most unbelievably hollow moment in the movie, and the point I where I realised it really wasn't working. Cate Blanchet's character was also astonishingly uninteresting.

3 hours ago, Staple Remover said:

The worst Indiana Jones was the tv series. I hated that Crystal Skull referenced it (riding with Pancho Villa) and made it canon. 

I loved that show as a kid, and rewatched it when it was put out on DVD and was amazed at how much of a flat nothing it was. It didn't help that they all got re-edited from short frame stories told out of order into boring hours-long movies with no breaks, but I don't think preserving the original format would have really saved anything either.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BillyCheers said:

Not thaaaat much worse than (*holdingmybreath*) Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull:guybrush:

We harassed that title, but really the oddity was Last Crusade in terms of shortness. The others tend to use "NOUN OF THE OTHER NOUN" format. (Raiders cheats because it doesn't use Indy's name at the front.)

I was unkind to Crystal when it released, but I'm kinder to it now.

EDIT: I maintain that TEMPLE OF DOOM IS THE ABSOLUTE WORST.

Edited by BaronGrackle
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, BaronGrackle said:

EDIT: I maintain that TEMPLE OF DOOM IS THE ABSOLUTE WORST.

@BaronGrackle are you saying you don't appreciate Temple of Doom's repeated frying-pan-on-head subtle mentions of "fortune and glory," Willie's non-stop hysterics, and the "foreign people eat bugs and brains!" dinner scene? ¬ ¬

I'm with you. 

Crystal Skull has grown on me over the years, I think I was mostly bitter with it because (for obvious reasons) there was no Marcus or Henry Jones, Snr. Having rewatched it, it's a lot of fun -- I just don't like how they handled Marion, with her casual "LOL HRU Indy?" at what should be a terrifying Russian base camp in the middle of the jungle and her subsequent LOLZ in the final act that make it all seem like a big joke.

I really hope they don't kill her off in a one-sentence mention and picture in Indy 5, let the guy enjoy marriage...

Edited by Captain Mystery
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, BaronGrackle said:

We harassed that title, but really the oddity was Last Crusade in terms of shortness.

Not if you think in terms of syllables. "Temple Of Doom" is 4, "Last Crusade" is 3, "Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull" is 7, same as the other two put together! It's even longer on its own than "Raiders Of The Lost Ark"!
Also, it just doesn't flow as well.

Temple of Doom is still a lot of fun... but it's also surprisingly boring. There's next to no story: Indy goes to a random palace in the absolute middle of nowhere and happens to find bad guys hiding in the basement. It's a bit weird.

But the high points are still high: The opening sequence. The mine cart chase. The rope bridge still looks incredibly impressive (and scary). There's just very little in between :(

Raiders is still amazing, and Last Crusade has plenty of fun, wit and action to recommend it. (Spielberg correctly sensed the film was missing an action beat and added the motorcycle chase... if that sequence had been on par with the jeep convoy in Raiders, then I think Last Crusade could have possibly equalled that movie.)

But the interplay between Connery and Ford remains priceless. 

• Like 2

I love Last Crusade! I just feel it leans a bit too much into comedy territory. Spielberg felt Temple of Doom got a bit too dark, that’s why he was careful to not make the same “mistake” with Last Crusade. The choice definitely worksto me it just feels a bit too light and controlled because of it. Like Spielberg was holding himself in. Great movie though and a very worthy sequel.

I’m also not a fan of the return of the themes and desert backdrop from Raiders. What I like about Temple of Doom is that it’s the same Indy with a totally different mcguffin in a totally different environment… and what an environment! The rope bridge is probably the most exciting climax of any of the movies!