Home

Indiana Jones 5

Udvarnoky

I really liked the needle drop. All the 60s period decor seems really well done. They’re going for all the banal parts and hitting it well. Indy’s living room looks perfect for where he presumably is in his life. 

On 4/7/2023 at 2:48 PM, Jake said:

Man that poster would look much better with some version of the original logo. 

"Disney left us with a whole lot of creative freedom, but decided on the logo design for us". Sounds familiar ... 😇

MQZYdx8.png

I'm actually undecided on this. They use the font, they have the sort of cheesy gradient that suggests the flames. It's just that they don't use overlapping letters and the clunky shadows we're all used to so much.

In any case, I appreciate that what we have here is a traditionally painted poster. For the most part at least – artist Tony Stella works in much the same way that Drew Struzan was forced to work in for Crystal Skull (an experience that directly led him to retire). These are a number of individual traditional paintings chopped up and pasted together digitally. 

I never really liked those posters that try to put in a gazillion characters, and don't really show what the movie is about. The poster kind of stepped into both these traps. And Disney really doesn't need to worry about spoilers any longer. We have a pretty clear picture of what the dial of destiny does at this point.

I love the strong red splash with its orange and grey accents. I love how for once Disney doesn't do photorealism and goes for the strong abstraction. I love how basically one sixth of the entire illustration is Indy's whip, painted with just a few brush strokes. It's so iconic, there's no need for more.

Last week I fell into the trap of reading some of the more deplorable 'news' about the movie, and it was so full of forced negativity and in some cases pathetic theories sold as utter truth ("This youtuber who's wrong all the time heard this rumor but won't tell us where so let's write a 700 word article about that"). And I thought, damn, I need the mojo forum back now.

• Like 3

Some new stills:

full20230424160248.jpg

full20230424160255.jpg

I'm a little troubled by the waxen look given to the characters in the first one. Ford in particular looks like the mortician didn't have the grace to wait for him to die before getting on with it. I'm guessing that's an actual screenshot from the movie. Comparing it to a production still makes you wish they'd let those "tools" collect rust.

full20221222135903.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/24/2023 at 10:26 PM, Udvarnoky said:

I'm a little troubled by the waxen look given to the characters in the first one. Ford in particular looks like the mortician didn't have the grace to wait for him to die before getting on with it.

Maybe Harrison is just trying out some new facial expressions ... ? :indy:

Might just be an oddly selected shot. The second foto has the ancient and scruffy Indy I want and I'm pretty sure that's the whims Disney will be catering to.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Scummbuddy said:

Oof. IGN eviscerates the new Indy movie for bad CGI de-aging, boring and hard to follow action scenes, and not having character qualms come to a head and drive the plot but just be checkmarks to their character. 

https://www.ign.com/articles/indiana-jones-and-the-dial-of-destiny-review

it cant be that bad from the 4 movie , right??  right?......

and i think we are the fans need to see the movie to decide if it good or not.

9 hours ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

Because Fate of Atlantis actually has a Reveal hidden contents story. There, I said it!

It's definitely a Bauhaus kind of story. Form follows function, and the function is the mad puzzle action! Revealing where Atlantis really is and getting there is the fun of it. It's still my favorite LucasArts adventure game, even though I had to wade through 12 Amiga discs back in the day. Come to think of it, most LucasArts games don't really have a particularly good story. One day we'll make a "Describe the story of a LucasArts game in five sentences so that newbies would never ever touch the game" thread. I think I'd make a pretty great TSoMI entry.

Making a movie out of the Fate of Atlantis story would have been a disaster. A proper reboot in game form however, I'd be behind that 100%. If Dial of Destiny bombs hard, I guess the announced Bethesda Indiana Jones game will be quietly cancelled (after it's been put on hold, all hands on deck for the belated Starfield) and all hopes to ever get an orchestrated FoA soundtrack are out the window. 😔

But, uhm, it's still seven days until Dial of Destiny releases, so I guess the myriad of youtube 'reviews' are mostly from people who have not even seen it. I'm keeping up some desperate hope like Jake. But it'll be difficult finding anybody willing to even watch it with me in theatres. Most people I know who were into the franchise once will not even give it a chance.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Vainamoinen said:

One day we'll make a "Describe the story of a LucasArts game in five sentences so that newbies would never ever touch the game" thread. I think I'd make a pretty great TSoMI entry.

Go ahead! :D

Also, I should probably replay Fate Of Atlantis some time. It definitely shines as a game. For a movie, it would have to be adapted differently, I'm sure. However, if they could somehow make THREE movies about the action, puzzle and Sophia paths... 🤔🤔🤔

1 hour ago, Gins said:

Also, I should probably replay Fate Of Atlantis some time. It definitely shines as a game. For a movie, it would have to be adapted differently, I'm sure. However, if they could somehow make THREE movies about the action, puzzle and Sophia paths... 🤔🤔🤔

Audience vote. Most popular branch gets played in the cinema at each showing. Guaranteed repeat business, with at least some customers rewatching the same film multiple times against their will. A flawless business idea with no downsides - I'm taking this to Dragon's Den.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Huz said:

Audience vote. Most popular branch gets played in the cinema at each showing. Guaranteed repeat business, with at least some customers rewatching the same film multiple times against their will. A flawless business idea with no downsides - I'm taking this to Dragon's Den.

A delightfully devilish business idea!

Indiana Jones and the Dragon's Den actually sounds like a fun movie itself.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2023 at 9:08 PM, Vainamoinen said:

Come to think of it, most LucasArts games don't really have a particularly good story. One day we'll make a "Describe the story of a LucasArts game in five sentences so that newbies would never ever touch the game" thread. I think I'd make a pretty great TSoMI entry.

Not a bad idea, and I agree that most LucasArts games don't have that great of a story... but there are some wonderful exceptions: Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, Day of the Tentacle and arguably Secret of Monkey Island. (All Tim Schafer "joints", I note in hindsight.) Tales had a pretty good story, too.

Fate of Atlantis, however, I felt is pretty ropey on actual story, as I noticed when replaying it recently.  Would love to hear what story beats are so great from fans?

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

I will take the bait laid out in this thread and say that “actually when you think about it many classic lucasarts games don’t have good stories,” is a deranged take. I won’t reply to any replies to this post. 

• Like 2
  • Chef's Kiss 1

1 hour ago, Jake said:

I will take the bait laid out in this thread and say that “actually when you think about it many classic lucasarts games don’t have good stories,” is a deranged take. I won’t reply to any replies to this post. 

I will second this down to I won’t reply to any replies to this post.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1