Home

Psychonauts 2

Udvarnoky

A bit surprising that we didn't already have a thread for this, as alongside the Sam & Max stuff this is the Mojo release of 2021. But better late than never!

A release date is surely imminent, and in my case potential disappointment when the PC requirements come in. But hey! A new Psychonauts game is not something any one lifetime sees many of. I am jazzed.

I’m a bit sad it’s not launching with a proper PS5 version, as I was lucky enough to get one but there’s a shortage of stuff to give it a run for its money. 

I understand that the Xbox Series X is getting a new-gen version, which makes sense given Double Fine’s new ownership. I hope it doesn’t take long for that cut to make its way to the PS5.

It's also worth noting that "short-term" can mean an awful lot of things when you're talking about a game with such an exceptionally lengthy development cycle. The original game took five years to make. Now the sequel has reached six. That's a long time for anyone to work on a single project, especially depending on their role. Zak McClendon spent over three years on Psychonauts 2 before he departed, for example, and for all we know he left simply because his work was complete.

I seem to remember that Wolpaw was an employee at Double Fine? One of the first? I'm sure there's account by him talking about the sewage overflowing and how it was too much for him. But I may be misremembering. 

Either way, he's back at Valve as of Jan 2019.

https://www.denofgeek.com/games/half-life-portal-writer-erik-wolpaw-returns-valve/

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

• 3 weeks later...

The goodies, such as the digital soundtrack and digital art book? That's all I can see on the Fig page right now. I can't recall why I didn't back this on fig when it was live.

Are there other rewards I don't know about?

Edit: Oh, you're probably talking about Psychonauts 1...

Edited by Scummbuddy

No, I meant Psychonauts 2. I remember a Raz statue being part of the goodies, and a physical art book, boxed copy of the game, soundtrack etc. etc.

I did back Broken Age back in the day, and I was really glad I did! But I never got Psychonauts 1 because I didn't have a Playstation 2 of XBox back in the day, so I only discovered it on Playstation 4 when it came out. That's why I didn't back part 2.

So... anyone know what kind of physical editions of the game will be available through retail? I can only find stores with temporary box-art in their pre-orders, but I'm kinda hoping there will be a neat special edition of some sorts, for us people who were too late to back.

• 1 month later...

Psychonauts 2 wil be out in less than a week, (Yay!) and I’m really looking forward to it!

I’m pretty bummed though that there won’t be a physical edition available right from the start and I’ll have to get it… *shudders*… digitally… 😔

It’s very disappointing that, as a fan of Double Fine who missed out on the kickstarter, it won’t be released physically, at least until (probably) Limited Run will announce it. Which leaves me with the option to play it on release and not have a physical edition, or wait for a physical edition and not being able to play it for quite some time (dodging spoilers al across the interwebs along the way), or to double dip!

(Also I’m a Playstation gamer, who’s home computer is a Mac, so a Microsoft Gaming account really isn’t for me.)

I miss the good ol’ big box pc days.

I still fondly remember installing my PC version of Psychonauts with five, count 'em five, CDs. That nonsense was exclusive to the U.S., I guess because some smart-alecks showed Majesco a study that claimed a significant number of domestic consumers didn't yet have a DVD-ROM drive. I find it highly dubious that anybody with the specs to run that game in 2005 didn't almost by definition have a DVD-ROM, but I enioyed the unintentional throwback to the diskette days all the same.

• Like 2