Home

Psychonauts 2

Udvarnoky

I had no idea. My brain went to Wing Commander IV rather than Phantasmagoria, but it's the same deal. Imagine still thinking it was a good idea to ship a game on multiple CD-ROMs nearly ten years after my favourite FMV-fest.

At least with those old school games you got a sense of achievement as you advanced through the CD-ROMs. Except when you had to swap back to disc 1 because you died. I'm curious to know too - did the FMV get streamed from the CDs, or was it all installed? It was installed, right? It must have been installed. Right?

1 hour ago, Huz said:

I'm curious to know too - did the FMV get streamed from the CDs, or was it all installed? It was installed, right? It must have been installed. Right?

By the magic of 90’s knowhow, I distill upon thee the answer:

They were streamed from… THE CD’S!!!

(cue epic lightning)

No hard drive was to big enough for more than 4 gigs of movies for one game.

8 hours ago, Huz said:

I had no idea. My brain went to Wing Commander IV rather than Phantasmagoria, but it's the same deal. Imagine still thinking it was a good idea to ship a game on multiple CD-ROMs nearly ten years after my favourite FMV-fest.

At least with those old school games you got a sense of achievement as you advanced through the CD-ROMs. Except when you had to swap back to disc 1 because you died. I'm curious to know too - did the FMV get streamed from the CDs, or was it all installed? It was installed, right? It must have been installed. Right?

I think wciv came with a dvd, actually being one of the first (if not first) games on dvd.

Whoa whoa whoa. I was asking about this insane CD-ROM version of Psychonauts. Wing Commander IV barely installed the executables, never mind anything else, and I spent way too much money on the DVD version back in the day. It was a sneak peek at what it would be like to be @elTee.

Edited by Huz
  • Like 1

The DVD version of WCIV was only available as a bundle with a Creative DVD-ROM drive that also came with an MPEG-2 decoder card to play back DVD video because CPUs were too slow do that back then. The game was tied to that card, but there have been fan-made patches that integrated a software decoder.

For the record, the U.S. version of Psychonauts did not require you to swap discs after installation. That would have been outrageous, leaving me with no choice but to mail a letter so mean that Tim would still be recovering from it.

letter.png

I think the game might have required you to keep Disc One in the drive while playing, but if so that was for asinine copy-protection reasons rather than anything needing to be read off it.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Agree with Benzo. It's just an incredibly satisfying experience, the kind 2021 needs.

The post-game game is also surprisingly full of new content -- it's a lot of fun being able to explore the environments with a completely different eye on them.

• Like 1

It's true. It's incredibly polished. And just what I needed in 2021. I want them to go back and add that level of polish to Psychonauts 1 now! 

One thing: Is it just me, or where the levels generally a bit less... mindbending than Psychonauts 1? I can't really remember a moment where my brain was spun upside down by the world suddenly shifting perspective. Or have as wide a range of environments: From being Goggalor or being inside a board game with someone who thinks they're Napoleon? Just me?

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

The controls of the first one feel a bit janky at first, but you get used to it. I recommend playing part one first, it's such a unique game, it'd be a shame if you missed it.

If you don't want to, the sequel does let you catch up with the story, but without all the mind bending loveliness of the original.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2021 at 6:33 PM, Scummbuddy said:

New merch released today. Shirt, poster, and a neato spinning pin.

The pin is cool, but I was hoping for a little more. The first Psychonauts game had a lot of merch (mini figures, posters, badges, t-shirts, vinyl, etc) and I thought with the sequel being a little bit more mainstream we would get even more stuff. I'm pretty sure more is coming

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...