Home

Psychonauts 2

Udvarnoky

• 3 months later...

I was at the "Too Many Games" comics and games convention this past weekend and got to meet Richard Horvitz, the voice of none other than Zim of Invader Zim. Oh, and the voice of Raz of Psychonauts. Just thought I'd share that he was extremely friendly to the fans that came out to see him and doesn't mind doing Raz's hand-brain pose. ;)

BVFzU5E.jpg

iX1nO5y.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting that IAm8Bit is also stating that:

"This marks not only the first time Psychonauts has been printed on disc for Xbox One, but it also marks the first time a backwards compatible Xbox game has had a disc release for Xbox One… EVVVVERRRRR!!"

Neat-o!

• Like 1

I pledged at a level where I get a "PC Physical Copy Of Psychonauts 2"... I'd love to think it's this special edition, but I doubt it. I wish I'd pledged more, though. I didn't expect to adore Psychonauts 2 as much as I did. (Would love to have been a brain in the jar -- but no idea how much that Reward was!)

7 hours ago, Thrik said:

According to the news post…

Yep, I saw that, but I think there was a separate "Collector's Edition" physical release on another reward tier, which will relate to this one I bet! I can't even check on Fig because all details of rewards tiers have been deleted :(

On 7/8/2022 at 10:55 PM, ThunderPeel2001 said:

Does anyone have a breakdown of all the rewards and tiers? I'm interested now. I remember there was a $10,000 one where you got to go camping with the Double Fine team :)

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/psychonauts-2/rewards

There was. I went on that trip and from what I remember I think there were like... 2 guests who had actually paid for the tier, then a couple more who won a contest to go along, and then a couple of us got invited to go along.

It's the sort of thing that could have been pretty awkward, done wrongly, but literally the whole of the studio showed up and everyone was just so welcoming and generous with their time. And you could feel just by being there how much their making efforts to be a diverse and welcoming studio had done for their whole vibe. Everyone just genuinely was enjoying each other's company but also being super welcoming to any new person who crossed their path.

I had someone I knew who was reasonably local to it drive me down to the campground and they were going to just drop me off and leave me to it, but instead they ended up staying a few hours, played some board games, tie dyed a shirt with us just because they thought it would be nice to let them hang out a bit before leaving, it was that lovely kind of comfortable, big-hearted thing that I think really defines what DF is as a group of people.

Edited by KestrelPi
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

How amazing! Were you just invited? That’s very cool. 

They had a couple of spare spaces so Spaff asked if anyone on the old forum/Discord mod team wanted to come along. In the end, 2 of us did. I ended up staying in SF for about a week after, and got a sneaky little peek at a bunch of stuff.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, it’s great! I had so much fun with it. Haven’t played the post-game content yet, I’m kind of saving it for a rainy day. But the whole story was fun, platforming was constantly engaging, and it looked great. Can’t believe we got a Psychonauts 2 and it was great. 

I loved it, but not as much as Psychonauts 1. Part 1 just seems to flow more naturally, maybe because the classic themes of the summercamp and insane asylum are more easily defined for these kinds of levels.

All and all they did some really interesting things with part 2, like the combining and corrupting of inner worlds, and it's definitely a worthy sequel in which a lot of love was poured. I particularly loved the Feast of the Senses (for the style) and Bob's Bottles (for the storytelling).

The way I've come to think about 2 in relation to 1 is that I think it's an overall better game than 1.

The highs aren't quite as high as 1 - I don't think the comedy and its sense of imagination ever truly reaches the heights of, say, the Milkman part, but also I think the overall experience is much better and the writing is so much more considered, the themes it deals in are so much better realised, and the platforming and combat is much stronger. And as much as I like P1's hub area, I prefer P2's.

If psychonauts 1 is always at least 'fine' and sometimes absolutely amazing, psychonauts 2 is always at least great and sometimes 'really great'

• Like 1

I loved, loved, loved Psychonauts 2. It was the game the world needed after all those lockdowns, but it also just absolutely fantastic in its own right. DoubleFine's games tend to have a little bit of (forgivable) jank, but this was such an incredibly slick experience from beginning to end. Absolutely gorgeous.

I've said it before, but I'd love to the see the original remastered with the same level of fidelity... because it was beautiful.

It's a crime that it didn't snag a single BAFTA, too.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I wish they'd release the two games on disc on PS4/Xbox for something more reasonable than $120. I realise that price tag is also for the bells and whistles included, but I don't care about those. I'm not even sure I could justify Psychonauts 2's physical release for $70.