Home

Colour pallet for monkey island one / two?

mmnmm

I'm interested, simply for my own satisfaction, in making a very simple web-based drawing program.

And I'd like to use the colour pallet used in either monkey island one or monkey island two.

I understand these used VGA or sometimes EGA (and perhaps another?). And I can find the wikipedia pages for such.

Does someone know if the games had a modified colour pallet? Or can I just use, for example, this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_Graphics_Array#/media/File:VGA_palette_with_black_borders.svg to replicate the colours used in the monkey island games?

Thank you kindly!

The EGA games use the fixed 16 colour EGA palette you can find on Wikipedia. VGA allows you to select a palette of 256 colours from an 18-bit palette. The games use different palettes for each background so there's no single VGA palette.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/1/2021 at 3:51 PM, s-island said:

The EGA games use the fixed 16 colour EGA palette you can find on Wikipedia. VGA allows you to select a palette of 256 colours from an 18-bit palette. The games use different palettes for each background so there's no single VGA palette.

Thanks a lot. This is fairly new to me so I appreciate the info.

I think I've been used to the VGA version

monkey_002.png

Rather than EGA

monkey_003.png

Loom did some excellent stuff with EGA

loom_78fpv2.png

I think I'll play around with EGA's16 colour pallets from 64 possible colours. It may make for an interesting experiment. Cheers dude.