Home

Guybrush beach walk

J-C

I'm working on an engine for 2D adventure games in the style of MI. I started a few weeks ago, so everything is early days. Here's a demo video: Guybrush beach walk

https://github.com/beaumanvienna/gfxRenderEngine

The code is cross-platform. Currently, there are some scripts to build libraries that are Linux-specific. Should be easy to get this running under Windows, too...

Please leave a like on the Github page. If you like to contribute, you can open a ticket there to get in touch.

:-D

• Like 1

Would you like to join the project? I could use help from a 2nd programmer for a multitude of reasons... 

I have another project going on called Marley, an emulator bundle, where a GUI designer and pixel art artist help out. This is actually why I'm writing the game engine in the 1st place, to bring more life into its frontend and make the front-end appear more game-like. https://github.com/beaumanvienna/marley#readme

You can also reach out here: https://discord.gg/fYPKPU4DpM

There would be smaller or bigger tasks, depending on what you prefer...

Ha. A decent interface for emulators was going to be my second project. Crazy.

I can't believe you're making a 2D game engine just to use as an interface :)

Realistically I don't know how much time (or talent for that matter) I could contribute. I am but a lowly PHP web developer with an incredibly intense job and vague aspirations. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/19/2021 at 1:21 AM, Rum Rogers said:

May I suggest going fully Object-Oriented? I don't think I've seen a single class in your code, it's basically almost pure C.

Yes, the render engine from my original post is fully object-oriented. The engine has a render-API-agnostic interface for backends (see engine/renderer). It also has an easy-to-use application side (see application/). I started to port over functions from Marley.

Here's an update for the engine (showing already the Marley logo). The GUI is back online, there is tile map support, and it now runs under Window as well 🕵️‍♂️

https://streamable.com/gky6db

• Like 1

Nice, hadn't checked out the render engine code, which is much better for my taste. 

+1 for using ImGui too, keep it up man!

For the record, here's a very old demo room I've recreated from MI2 I'd exported from my crappy JS engine back in 2014. Luckily my JS days are over and I'm mainly all about C++ now, still I keep fond memories of the engine, which featured code generation, path finding, scrolling & more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/18/2021 at 3:10 PM, Rum Rogers said:

Nice, hadn't checked out the render engine code, which is much better for my taste. 

+1 for using ImGui too, keep it up man!

For the record, here's a very old demo room I've recreated from MI2 I'd exported from my crappy JS engine back in 2014. Luckily my JS days are over and I'm mainly all about C++ now, still I keep fond memories of the engine, which featured code generation, path finding, scrolling & more.

Hi Rum Rogers, The demo room looks awesome! Would you like to join the Engine / Marley projects? We could use a 2nd C++ programmer. There is already a tester /pixel art designer / game programmer next to me as a coder. You could start by adding the demo room 🙂 Path finding would also be great. Are you more on Windows or Linux? The Engine could use some support on the Windows side... 

On 7/20/2021 at 5:37 AM, J-C said:

Hi Rum Rogers, The demo room looks awesome! Would you like to join the Engine / Marley projects? We could use a 2nd C++ programmer. There is already a tester /pixel art designer / game programmer next to me as a coder. You could start by adding the demo room 🙂 Path finding would also be great. Are you more on Windows or Linux? The Engine could use some support on the Windows side... 

Hey J-C, sounds like fun! I really miss having a side project like that, the only thing I'm uncertain of is the time I can actually dedicate to the project due to work commitments :)Path finding is what I'm currently implementing for the game I'm working on, though, so it's very fresh in my mind at the moment! Please do feel free to PM me if you're still interested in part-time efforts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1