Home

Limited Run Games wish list

Udvarnoky

Seeing as they've done Monkey Island, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, and Sam & Max*, it's clear that LRG is willing to put their licensing agreement with Lucasfilm to more use than re-releasing Star Wars games. Assuming the love for the boutique IP continues and considering LRG seems to emphasize console titles, what games from the LucasArts catalog do you most hope to get a novelty re-release?

As I've probably made clear several times, the NES version of Maniac Mansion is at the top of my list. A reprint of the N64 version of Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine (which was a Blockbuster-exclusive cartridge) would be a pretty cool idea as well. What's your pitch?

*Okay, admittedly Save the World is not a LucasArts game, but still.

day of the tentacle - pins from all the characters , a cool t-shirt that say "my friends got the save the world from a purple tentacle and all i got was the shirt "  , a cool blanket or a little statue of the mummy that won the game  .

Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis- a real life and activate with light Atlantis horn statue with beads to activate it and a necklace too ,

a scary mask ,  mini disk of Atlantis,

and dig- NASA PATCHES , ONE GREEN ORB OF LIFE  ,

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, SGTflippy said:

day of the tentacle - pins from all the characters

You mean like these? (Laverne and Hoagie will follow soon)

Z7Va3Is.png

I think the Indy games would offer the best chance for proper merch. A leather-bound grail diary, an actual grail-replica, the knight's shield rubbing (for LC), Nur-Ab-Sal necklace, horned statue, orichalcum sugar beads (mmh), stone disc replicas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

What I'd really like to see are exact replicas of the old LucasArts boxes, packed with the same items and disks. I'd want them to be exactly identical to the originals, down to each millimetres of their dimensions, the printing and colour processes used and even, dare I say, the smell of the damn things. No extras, no changes. Just the same lovely boxes, all new and shrink wrapped. I'd take a second mortgage for that.

• Like 5

• 4 months later...
On 8/13/2021 at 8:19 PM, Elle said:

What I'd really like to see are exact replicas of the old LucasArts boxes, packed with the same items and disks. I'd want them to be exactly identical to the originals, down to each millimetres of their dimensions, the printing and colour processes used and even, dare I say, the smell of the damn things. No extras, no changes. Just the same lovely boxes, all new and shrink wrapped. I'd take a second mortgage for that.

If you're prepared to take out a second mortgage, you could buy a pristine edition from the 90s on eBay! :) But yes, why isn't this a thing? It would (mostly) kill the inflated collector market. I'd also love exact pristine boxed copies of LucasArts classics... I wonder why nobody has done that before? (Ie. Not create limited special editions, but just plain replicas.)

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

The two-part boxes were last used for Full Throttle, I believe (in landscape format in that case). The DIG, CMI, Grim Fandango, and EMI didn't have them. However, in the US at least, they went all the way back to Zak McKracken and some of the re-releases of Maniac Mansion.

Did the UK releases of those games always use single-part boxes that opened from the top? Interesting.

Edited by ATMcashpoint

8 hours ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

Interesting, I've never seen those folded boxes in the UK. Even with later games like CMI and GF. The BA box felt like a compromise because it's probably not possible to make them exactly the way they used to. 

I doubt that's the reason, since Thimbleweed Park got a proper, glued big box. But even then, the classic folded boxes were much more straight and at least able to stand upright on their own, while the Broken Age box keeps tipping over.

And yeah, I think Europe kept getting glued two part boxes throughout the releases. Although it's a bit weird that a period through the 90s only had those thin flap-top boxes (CMI, Grim, Jedi Knight and all those SW Episode 1 tie-ins), while EfMI and even the Mysteries of the Sith expansion for JK went back to a two-part box.

Edited by Laserschwert

8 hours ago, ATMcashpoint said:

The two-part boxes were last used for Full Throttle, I believe (in landscape format in that case). The DIG, CMI, Grim Fandango, and EMI didn't have them. However, in the US at least, they went all the way back to Zak McKracken and some of the re-releases of Maniac Mansion.

Did the UK releases of those games always use single-part boxes that opened from the top? Interesting.

No, I seem to remember having nice, heavy duty two part boxes at least up until CMI. I wonder if I still have my GF somewhere. 

Edit: Yep, UK box seen here:

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by ThunderPeel2001
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...

Great news, everybody! The powers that be have been monitoring this thread in order to gauge what longtime fans of the studio would be most interested in, and now, all our wishes are being granted.

...Nah, I'm just joshin' ya. They're doing The Force Unleashed.

• Haha 3

• 11 months later...

Well…since this thread was made we’ve seen or will soon see the LRG treatment applied to Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, Sam & Max Hit the Road, Loom, Return to Monkey Island, Maniac Mansion – including the NES version, thus fulfilling this thread’s inaugural wish – and now Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders.

I don’t know how long LRG’s arrangement with Lucasfilm is good for, but it’s starting to look like they might actually get through the whole SCUMM catalog at this rate. Will unabridged grail diaries feel the warmth of a printer again? Will you risk foreclosure for the chance to own a cheap replica of an orichalcum bead? Will your retirement be further preempted by individual Monkey Island releases? We’ll just have to see how the year plays out.

When Maniac Mansion was announced, we thought the time was right to reach out to Limited Run and try to get answers on some of these questions. Though they were up for a second interview, Disney put the kibosh on it. I guess our questions were just too hot, but you can judge for yourself in our forever unpublished stub article we lashed together as a head start when we had taken it for granted we were getting answers back. Of course, the real casualty of all this is the Photoshop’d soup kitchen header art I was in negotiations with Remi to deliver. RIP.

• Like 1

That's an excellent set of questions, but I think too many of those would have been answered with either "we can't talk about that" or "we don't know". FYI, I did offer them to clean up the T-shirt artwork for the Maniac Mansion release, but ultimately it wasn't picked. I sent them my WIP to decide (cleanup on the right, still missing some shading here and there):

dWFVLR8.jpeg

Edited by Laserschwert
  • Like 1
  • Chef's Kiss 1