Home

ScummVM versus native interpreters

Udvarnoky

6 hours ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

Thanks for your work on this! And for your comments about reporting bugs. It used to be very disheartening when you’d report them, so I gave up back in the day. It does seem much better these days though. 

Question: Are the enhancements enabled by default? (I hope so!)

We have been pretty much active on SCUMM lately thanks to the fact that the number of maintainers for this engine has grown up to four/five concurrent devs, so please send your bug reports and don't be scared to do so!

Yes, the enhancements are on by default! :)

Edited by AndywinXp
  • Like 2
  • Chef's Kiss 1

• 1 month later...

Let's bring back this thread with an update on my end:

https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/pull/4033 This pull request adds support for the original GUI and menu for COMI.

I encourage those of you who are able to compile builds and have some spare time to test this and see if it works fine 🙂

After these changes are merged, my project is to proceed backwards from SCUMM v7 down to whichever version I can reasonably arrive to (so probably not v0 or v1).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Chef's Kiss 3

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Udvarnoky said:

That DREAMM has apparently kicked off some sort of accuracy arms race in @AndywinXp's head is really the best possible outcome.

Thanks, I really appreciate that! 🙏

Yes! DREAMM, other than being a blessing in itself, is definitely the one spark which started this new "accuracy wave". 😛 So big thanks to Aaron for that!

But I'd like to point out that it's never just me: in these recent times a lot of people (old and new) have an active part within the SCUMM team (and some of them are here! @dwa@Torbjörn Andersson).

We've had (and still have) a lot of things going on, the implementation of old video modes, countless accuracy fixes for even the most small and almost unnoticeable things, the enhancements!!!, and so on. I'd say it's very exciting to be a SCUMM maintainer these days 😄

• Like 6
  • Chef's Kiss 2

• 3 months later...

An update, ScummVM now has the original GUI (on by default) for every single LucasArts SCUMM game (apart from strange versions like LOOM TG16 since nobody knows anything in the team about PC Engine disassembly...)!

If you want to use the ScummVM menu for saving and loading in those games whose menu only provides one saveslot (looking at you MANIAC v1...), just use the good old CTRL-F5 combination.

Also, this!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Chef's Kiss 3

• 2 months later...
On 12/9/2022 at 10:35 PM, AndywinXp said:

An update, ScummVM now has the original GUI (on by default) for every single LucasArts SCUMM game (apart from strange versions like LOOM TG16 since nobody knows anything in the team about PC Engine disassembly...)!

If you want to use the ScummVM menu for saving and loading in those games whose menu only provides one saveslot (looking at you MANIAC v1...), just use the good old CTRL-F5 combination.

Also, this!

…and ScummVM 2.7.0 has now been released with this really nice feature! And shaders for that retro CRT look too!

And as a sign that we still very much care for the various SCUMM games, have a look at its entry below 😜

https://downloads.scummvm.org/frs/scummvm/2.7.0/ReleaseNotes.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Chef's Kiss 1

Oh fun! I was never 100% happy with the upscaling filters on ScummVM, so it'll be neat to try the new shaders. 1:1 pixel art scaling was always nice for the older games, but the later games that attempted smooth linework will definitely benefit from some CRT blur.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, beatmopzz said:

I mentioned it in a #monkey-meetings chat on Discord a couple months ago and was told by Sev that it was a bug and I should file a bug report. Which I duly did, only to have it closed a couple days later because it was a duplicate of a (still-open) bug ticket that was already a year old at that point.

Hi! Which bug was that?