Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

Well, this is an out of the blue surprise! I remember the "drop everything I'm doing" moment I had when Tales was announced in 2009. This felt the same.

I've had lingering feelings for a while that something may be going on (i.e. cryptic tweets from the team of "yeah, it'd be great to do more" etc) and not to mention the occasional prophetic dream I had that always felt real when I was in it! But I've always dismissed the possibility of a new game given how many years have passed, since this is by far the longest hiatus the series has had, etc. But it looks like something was able to be worked out! Hopefully soon we'll get some answers on if this is completely Ron's game or if other hands are involved.

It really seems like we're getting the best of all worlds in regards to the team as well. Land, McConnell and Bajakian being onboard means that we're likely going to get another soundtrack with the production values of Curse and Escape. That alone is reason enough to be excited. No disrespect to Tales, as it had a lot of fantastic compositions in it, but the synthesised instruments didn't always do justice to them. (I also wish Land/McConnell and Bajakian could've had a bigger hand in the SE soundtracks too for the sake of consistency, but I was still very happy with what we got!) A new Monkey Island OST with them, however, means it has the potential to reach the level of Curse and Escape's soundtracks. Not to mention, a new recording of the main theme? Escape simply re-used Curse's theme, so after 25 years, we'll finally have a new version... :o

Thrilled that Dom is back, and Denny Delk is a welcome surprise too given how many years have passed, but one that I would never suggest recasting. Would love to know who, if anybody else, they manage to get back from the other games too (British Elaine, Herman Toothrot, MI1-3 Stan, etc.) . The big question mark, in my opinion, is Earl Boen. His performance as LeChuck across the whole series is utterly perfect (and upon replaying the series over the Christmas holidays, I've made the decision that he's one of the most perfectly cast voices I've ever heard in a game) but in reality, the guy is 80 years old and has been retired for a while now. His most recent voiceover credit, according to Wikipedia, was 2017. So based on that, maybe there's a slim chance, but I wouldn't be shocked if LeChuck was recast for this game, or even if Boen decided to decline to return. Which is completely understandable, of course, given his age, but at the same time, something really would be missing if we didn't have him. I really hope they've worked out a good solution in terms of the voice of LeChuck.

The art style is different, yet familiar, yet retro, yet modern, yet good! It's 2D, which I feel like people would flip out if it wasn't(!) and seems to have a more immersive feeling in the sense that the background moves, the elements are on different planes, etc. Something I wish the Special Editions could've taken more advantage of at times. Very curious to see how the rest of the games visuals shape up and how the main characters might look in this new art style.

That's all I have to say for now! Sorry, but this called for a rant!

• Like 1

Some interesting things to ponder:

If it starts from the end of MI2, will we get to see Dinky again? Given the title, will we get to see Monkey Island again? And if the website is to be believed, will we get to see Melee and LeChuck's Ghost Ship again?

Personally I'm not over the moon about the new art style (albeit from the limited glimpses we've seen of it). I know I'm biased because I LOVE Purcell's and Chan's work (I have a Purcell print hanging in my hallway). The two shots we've seen remind me of the first Special Edition, so that's triggering some trauma by itself. However looking at Rex Crowle's portfolio makes me worry less: His work is great! Definitely got his own style. And I'm already warming to the look in the trailer, so maybe it's all going to be OK!

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

The best new of this year by far. The 14 year old in me is jumping for joy right now 4 hours later.  I'm 46 now but I still love this game and this Monkey 🐒 🙈 🙊 Island 🏝  series .

I'm going to play the classics until this game is out 😁🍺👍🍀

• Like 1

By pure stroke of luck, I managed to catch a rumour that this might be happening on a Facebook group about a year ago. Never in my wildest dreams did I think it would turn out to be real (though I saved the screenshots just in case; the post was removed eventually) or that Ron was involved, but here we are!  

awdawdwd.PNG

Capture.PNG

Edited by OzzieMonkey
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, OzzieMonkey said:

By pure stroke of luck, I managed to catch a rumour that this might be happening on a Facebook group about a year ago. Never in my wildest dreams did I think it would turn out to be real (though I saved the screenshots just in case; the post was removed eventually) or that Ron was involved, but here we are!  

I wanted to like this post, but the like function is broken. Nice find!

20 minutes ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

I wanted to like this post, but the like function is broken. Nice find!

No it’s not… (source: I liked it just now)

also woooo more monkey island!!!!

• Like 1

So Ron's said that Curse is still canon and they've been careful to make sure nothing is contradicted by this game...so what's the deal with Murray? I can think of two possible outcomes; he's used as a narrator (ironic since Denny Delk narrated the Special Editions) OR you're not playing as Guybrush when you run into him. Maybe you play as Elaine for a portion of the game and you cross paths with Murray at that point. Also, if Curse is still canon, does that mean we can't have Stan show up? Or will they be making sure he gets locked inside a coffin AGAIN on Blood Island (also without him and Guybrush meeting)? The only other way I can see this all working out is if somehow this game takes place both immediately after Monkey Island 2 AND post-Tales...that'd be one ballsy move. 

The art style looks like an evolution from MI2, which was already leaning towards a stylistic vibe over the more 'realistic' SOMI. I know Ron wasn't such a fan of the more realistic close ups etc. I personally always liked them, and the pixel art kind of let your own imagination run wild as to what it all really looked like.

I guess my one hope is that they keep that "light horror with an edge" vibe of MI2 - like that LeChuck was actually kind of scary. Some of his designs over the years with short stubby legs always felt like they undercut the character.

But I'm looking forward to seeing more of everything. It's so great that so many of the original team are back!

• Like 1

I thought we'd never get another Monkey Island game, let alone one overseen by Ron, let alone one with music composed by the Monkey 2 dream team. Amazing news and it's coming this year.

I enjoyed Knights and Bikes and kept daydreaming about Monkey Island in that art style whilst playing it, so Rex Crowle as art director is ideal. (And now I'm daydreaming about customising Guybrush's pirate garb like you get to do with the girls' bikes in Knights and Bikes.)

Also thrilled that Dave Grossman is on board, and found this really sweet:

• Like 1

Hugely excited about this, and I can’t wait to see more! A lot of really talented people are involved with this game, both veterans and newcomers.

I have a slight worry about the art style and animations of the game, based on the teaser and the website. It has that digital vector animation look that often comes across as impersonal and cheap, almost like a mobile game. The Special Editions had the same issue, especially SMI. 

I’m sure the game will be great regardless, and I’m hoping further footage will prove me wrong, and that the game will look as stunning as the first three Monkey Island games did in their time!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OzzieMonkey said:

So Ron's said that Curse is still canon and they've been careful to make sure nothing is contradicted by this game...

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I found that very disappointing. I was hoping that Ron could do his sequel without having to worry about the baggage established in the spin-off games (that's what I call Curse, Escape and Tales), which don't reflect his vision.

5 hours ago, OzzieMonkey said:

So Ron's said that Curse is still canon and they've been careful to make sure nothing is contradicted by this game...

I'm not too worried about this. I'm sure he'll find a creative way to make this work. He wouldn't choose this way of narration if he didn't have an idea behind it.

56 minutes ago, Bagge said:

I have a slight worry about the art style and animations of the game, based on the teaser and the website. It has that digital vector animation look that often comes across as impersonal and cheap, almost like a mobile game. The Special Editions had the same issue, especially SMI.

I'm not too worried about this either. While I would prefer hand-drawn frame by frame animation, I understand that that would go way over budget.

I'm not put off by the art style of the teaser, because even though it has that flash animation feel (which I generally don't like), its clear that there's a creative art style behind it. The first Special Edition just looked like it was done by LucasArts interns without any good supervision.

I watched all the moments with Guybrush and Murray from CMI and I think you could just about wing it that they’ve met before. (In a Star Wars — “he killed your father, no wait, I meant he IS your father” / “I built C3P0 but now I don’t remember him” kind of way.)

But as others have said, we might get to play as Elaine this time around (makes a kind of sense given Ron’s affinity for the character and the way MI2 ended — she might have to drag Guybrush out of the Big Whoop curse as part of the story). So she could bump into Murray (who presumably has a body at some point? Hell, we could maybe even meet him as a human before he becomes an undead pirate.)

If Ron has gone the “post MI2, pre MI3” route, there’s just SO much fun they could have. 

Of course it’s a shame there’s no input from Schafer. And my dream would still be Peter Chan and Steve Purcell on art duties. But this is still so very exciting. 

One thing everyone forgets: The last time Grossman and Gilbert worked on a Monkey Island game together was Tales!

And actually I’m surprised Gilbert hasn’t given him co-credit this time around. Maybe he’s got a really strong vision for what he wants to do. 

And I hope to fuck Gilbert has gotten the “a non ending is a great ending” thing out of his system. It ruined Thimbleweed Park. 

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

8 minutes ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

I watched all the moments with Guybrush and Murray from CMI and I think you could just about wing it that they’ve met before. (In a Star Wars — “he killed your father, no wait, I meant he IS your father” / “I built C3P0 but now I don’t remember him” kind of way.)

You make a good point, I mean Guybrush seems to have almost forgotten the Voodoo Lady between 1 and 2 as well as 2 and 3. 

But as others have said, we might get to play as Elaine this time around (makes a kind of sense given Ron’s affinity for the character and the way MI2 ended — she might have to drag Guybrush out of the Big Whoop curse as part of the story). So she could bump into Murray (who presumably has a body at some point? Hell, we could maybe even meet him as a human before he becomes an undead pirate.) 

Yeah, It wouldn't surprise me if we start the game off as Elaine standing over the blown up X marks the spot on Dinky Island. Sounds like a pretty good way to build suspense about what's happening with Guybrush before we finally catch up with him. 

If Ron has gone the “post MI2, pre MI3” route, there’s just SO much fun they could have. 

Ok, I'm gonna just go for a big swing theory here. This series is known for Voodoo magic and Big Whoop has been described as the secret to another world. What if...we get a mix of post Tales continuation and a conclusion to Ron's story through dimension hopping and time travel. Maybe Murray is the key to that, hopping from the post-Curse canon to the end of MI2 to bridge the gaps. Maybe that's all too much and too contrived/lore-heavy for this series, idk. Depends on how it's done. Either way, I have faith in Ron.