Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

20 minutes ago, Lagomorph01 said:

Noooo!! I absolutely LOVE Jim Cummings, but I just know his voice so well that I’d be completely put off by it. I’d hate to hear LeChuck and be able to hear “oh, this sounds like his Pete”, or “here he’s going into Monterey Jack territory” or “this has a touch of Tigger”.

What I love about Earl Boen is that he wasn’t a very familiar voice actor to begin with. Jim Cummings voiced almost all of my youth!

Good point, Cummings was in a lot of mainstream movies/TV series to the point where his potential LeChuck voice could lean towards any of his familiar set,  but at least in terms of the acting itself, he’d unquestionably do a great job.

Boen had acted a lot before MI, but Terminator aside, I think he largely stayed away from franchises. So yes, he was a lot less recognisable in the role because of that. He’s such an underrated talent.

Edited by fentongames
  • Like 1

Tony Jay would’ve been a great choice, though maybe a bit too recognisable as well. Maybe if he hid it behind a pirate accent. He did have the same vocal deepness and nuances that Earl Boen has, so it might’ve worked.

I’d still prefer someone like a classicaly trained stage actor with a deep voice and not too many voice acting roles to his name. Someone no one on the forums could name, but would absolutely nail it!

5 hours ago, vandands said:

I only hope Ron & Dave doesn't get into the whole metaverse bonanza to start merging characters/plot points from Curse or other entries :( It would be an easy solution with LeChuck's magic and all...

I'm a little concerned about things becoming meta, too. Time will tell. I hope we get some more news tomorrow... screenshots... more interviews... something!

Anyone know how long it was from Thimbleweed Park's voice sessions to release?

7 hours ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

I'm a little concerned about things becoming meta, too. Time will tell. I hope we get some more news tomorrow... screenshots... more interviews... something!

Anyone know how long it was from Thimbleweed Park's voice sessions to release?

I wouldn't be surprised if we get a lot more new info at Pax East which is at the end of the week.

According to the blog, Thimbleweed Park was doing voiceover in January and came out at the end of March. Of course, that game involved several different voice actors recording the same lines because you were playing multiple characters, so we might actually be closer to release if we assume that Guybrush still gets the most lines. Then again, we also don't know how big the game is (I'm hoping it's a decent size, we already know of 4 locations: The Carnival, Melee Island, Monkey Island and a new island where it snows) , so there are a few things to factor in there. I hope it comes out soon though, I'm dying to play it!

Edited by OzzieMonkey
  • Like 2

The fact that they aren't showing Guybrush yet gets me nervous like they are worried about a backlash.

But going by the characters in the screenshot its clear they are going for a high def version of the mi2 sprites. The dotted eyes and blocky faces. 

I'm preparing myself for a Guybrush with dotted eyes and angular head etc. I just hope he doesn't have the long neck and palm tree back hair like in the original sketch.

No offence to the artist, they are very talented. I know its just a sketch but i hope the final look is a bit more detailed.

Also can we finally have a Guybrush with darker hair and half grown facial hair? I really want something different from the curse of monkey island look.

20220418_135822.png

5897ac1f1e93bb162e97bad944f86d21.jpg

M1wJkym.jpg

Edited by Toymafia1988
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Toymafia1988 said:

The fact that they aren't showing Guybrush yet gets me nervous like they are worried about a backlash.

But going by the characters in the screenshot its clear they are going for a high def version of the mi2 sprites. The dotted eyes and blocky faces. 

I'm preparing myself for a Guybrush with dotted eyes and angular head etc. I just hope he doesn't have the long neck and palm tree back hair like in the original sketch.

No offence to the artist, they are very talented. I know its just a sketch but i hope the final look is a bit more detailed.

I'm sure it has more to do with building a hype than being worried about a backlash. That's the usual way games and movies are introduced. First you give a tease, revealing nothing of importance, then as the release date nears you slowly start to reveal things that are more relevant to the plot.

Of course some people will like the new art style, others will hate it, others will start to hate it but learn to love it and vice versa.

Anyway, in the interview with adventuregamers, Ron had this to say about the art style:

Would you say that the art style you ended up with evolved from that first idea [Rex Crowle] had?

Ron: It’s more than an evolution. We didn’t end up going with that style, but I just found it a striking image, and one of the things that I was looking for in the art for this game was to do something that hadn’t really been done before.

So don't worry, I'm sure Guybrush won't look the way he does in that sketch.

Edited by Lagomorph01
  • Like 1

On 4/17/2022 at 4:07 PM, vandands said:

I only hope Ron & Dave doesn't get into the whole metaverse bonanza to start merging characters/plot points from Curse or other entries :( It would be an easy solution with LeChuck's magic and all...

I hope it won't turn into Terminator Genisys either (if you saw that film then you know what I mean) but when it comes to adhering to canon I don't view that as super important. There are already examples of MI not caring about that too much and I don't think any of the inconsistencies really affected the stories on a whole. For example Herman getting retconned into being Grandpa Marley sure didn't feel right but it's also very much a case of "who cares?"

Retcons can be handled well too if the refit just works and makes sense. I don't know how Murray is going to be in RTMI for example because I always just assumed that Guybrush "creates" him when he fires the cannon in Curse (and it's pretty obvious that's what happened too) but it can be different since we never saw that actually happening. Murray just being a skull of eeeevil even from before MI3 might even make more sense considering that the games always portrayed him embracing his skullness.

As for the game being meta in general I'm really hoping for that. I don't want Thimbleweed Park levels of meta content with the whole point of the game being that but I always loved that aspect of MI 2. I don't want the world of MI to actually end up being a figment of Guybrush's imagination but I love the concept that it can be like that. It's a ton of fun to replay the games looking for all the elements that remind you of an amusement park and to try to figure out what kind of rides they could be for example. Lots of rollercoasters and haunted house rides for sure. :D

In a way the meta stuff is what keeps MI timeless I think simply because people still talk about those things. It's a bit like how Cooper is at the end of Twin Peaks: there are lots of possible explanations, none of those will ever be confirmed and that's fun. Hey, maybe Guybrush has spent the last 30 years in an amusement park and in all games after Monkey 2 he was just played by a tulpa!

Edited by Zaxx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Zaxx said:

In a way the meta stuff is what keeps MI timeless I think simply because people still talk about those things. It's a bit like how Cooper is at the end of Twin Peaks: there are lots of possible explanations, none of those will ever be confirmed and that's fun. Hey, maybe Guybrush has spent the last 30 years in an amusement park and in all games after Monkey 2 he was just played by a tulpa!

Hmm. I'd say Deadpool was "meta", I wouldn't describe Monkey Island as being that. There were three other games after the end of MI2 that tied up that ending just fine, too. I think it's timeless for other reasons (although obviously fans have long wondered how Ron was going to resolve MI2's ending).

Edited by ThunderPeel2001
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

Hmm. I'd say Deadpool was "meta", I wouldn't describe Monkey Island as being that. There were three other games after the end of MI2 that tied up that ending just fine, too.

Oh, I don't think they did sadly, for example that giant "explanation dump" you get from LeChuck near the end of Curse just might be the worst piece of writing in the entire series if you ask me (well if we don't count the oop-eek-aack stuff from Monkey Kombat :)). I'm absolutely fine with Curse just starting with Guybrush sitting on that dodgem at sea being "well that was wild but I got out", I think trying to explain away Monkey 2's ending was really bad because the people who liked that ending didn't want an explanation anyway. Monkey 2's ending is great because it gives you that whole new meta "interpretation layer" for MI but that's it, other than that it could be just some voodoo magic and that's fine, I don't need a detailed explanation on what and why happened. :)

Edited by Zaxx
  • Like 1

I personaly would love RTMI to be very meta! If the whole world of Monkey Island is located within the amusement park, then Guybrush might easily encounter elements from COMI, EFMi and TOMI while exploring the funfair. He can easily meet Murray and stuff like The Giant Monkey Robot there. Maybe he brings Murray and other elements to life with the power of his imagination. He could easily meet them in the amusement park and later use them in his future imaginary adventures. Maybe by the end of RTMI we will get a choice to leave the funfair or keep fantasizing on (this is when the COMI continuity comes into play). I would love this! 

2 hours ago, Toymafia1988 said:

Hey is it me or is the shadow figure in the window (in the Melee Island screenshot) look very similar to the nurse sillhouette in the Day of the Tentacle opening?

20220419_100928.png

images (22).jpeg

I thought it was a sneak peek at LeChuck at first, similar to the possible Guybrush on the trailer ship. Hat and a huge, bushy beard.

Upon closer inspection it’s equally possible it’s someone wearing a jacket and a hat. But probably not a nurse. 😀

4 minutes ago, Thrik said:

I thought it was a sneak peek at LeChuck at first, similar to the possible Guybrush on the trailer ship. Hat and a huge, bushy beard.

Upon closer inspection it’s equally possible it’s someone wearing a jacket and a hat. But probably not a nurse. 😀

I thought it was a gravestone...

• Haha 1

Regarding the debate about the new art style, expecially the "adult" aspect of the first two Monkey Island - which I also love - does not mean that it cannot be continued with this artistic direction as well.

There is an image of Rex Crowe in particular that could be very suitable for explaining this concept:merlin.png
The style is similar the same of the new Monkey Island, and it is by no means "childish". On the contrary, it contains in a very elegant way a nuance of emotional states that could hardly be synthesized in a face drawn in a more traditional way.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Goury1 said:

Maybe by the end of RTMI we will get a choice to leave the funfair or keep fantasizing on (this is when the COMI continuity comes into play). I would love this! 

Wouldn't something like that be too revealing though? Would you want to know what's in the briefcase in Pulp Fiction? Or how the Joker got those scars in The Dark Knight? I don't and I think not knowing what the secret is (pun intended) makes those elements really fun.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Zaxx said:

I hope it won't turn into Terminator Genisys either (if you saw that film then you know what I mean) but when it comes to adhering to canon I don't view that as super important. There are already examples of MI not caring about that too much and I don't think any of the inconsistencies really affected the stories on a whole. For example Herman getting retconned into being Grandpa Marley sure didn't feel right but it's also very much a case of "who cares?"

Retcons can be handled well too if the refit just works and makes sense. I don't know how Murray is going to be in RTMI for example because I always just assumed that Guybrush "creates" him when he fires the cannon in Curse (and it's pretty obvious that's what happened too) but it can be different since we never saw that actually happening. Murray just being a skull of eeeevil even from before MI3 might even make more sense considering that the games always portrayed him embracing his skullness.

As for the game being meta in general I'm really hoping for that. I don't want Thimbleweed Park levels of meta content with the whole point of the game being that but I always loved that aspect of MI 2. I don't want the world of MI to actually end up being a figment of Guybrush's imagination but I love the concept that it can be like that. It's a ton of fun to replay the games looking for all the elements that remind you of an amusement park and to try to figure out what kind of rides they could be for example. Lots of rollercoasters and haunted house rides for sure. :D

Thanks for your insight, I totally get what you mean and I think it is exactly on point! For me, as a gamer and characters/plots lover, the story does matter in the sense that, it's one of the things that got me most immersed in the galaxy of the first three games. But absolutely, the humor this game offers is like a door that, when closed and opened again, can offer a different landscape and any thing is possible. If we get in meta-humor I suppose we can say that everything that happen in a fictional product is a product of imagination, but I guess I always chose not to believe that the whole plot/lore of MI could be all Guybrush's imagination because:

image.jpeg

Even though this can still be part of his private fictional world 😫😞😞

Edited by vandands
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, Zaxx said:

Wouldn't something like that be too revealing though?

I really want Ron to lay everything on the table and reveal the truth about the Secret of Momkey Island in the end. I want RTMI to be conclusive.

55 minutes ago, vandands said:

I always chose not to believe that the whole plot/lore of MI could be all Guybrush's imagination because:

image.jpeg

True, Chuckies demonic stare suggests that it's all real and a part of LeChuck's evil plot. We will see how Ron resolves this. The new game can take a wide variety of paths, that's what intrgues me the most about RTMI!