Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

26 minutes ago, Zaxx said:

Well, Tim Schafer did say that it was Ron who came up with the idea of time travel in the original concept for Day of the Tentacle so I guess we can't rule out anything at this point.

I think it would be difficult for Ron to squeeze the entire story of RTMI between the ending of MI2 and the beggining of COMI, he must have found a way to get some more room for a good story in there. The presence of Murray confirms it. 

1 hour ago, Zaxx said:

Well, Tim Schafer did say that it was Ron who came up with the idea of time travel in the original concept for Day of the Tentacle so I guess we can't rule out anything at this point.

Knowing that was Ron idea makes me love Ron even more.

Dott is my fav point and click game.

1 hour ago, Goury1 said:

I think it would be difficult for Ron to squeeze the entire story of RTMI between the ending of MI2 and the beggining of COMI, he must have found a way to get some more room for a good story in there. The presence of Murray confirms it. 

The magic of writing means anything can fit between those two events. Hell an entire season of 24 supposedly happens in... 24 hours. There's plenty of time if that what Ron wants to do (and personally it's what I want to see).

On 4/20/2022 at 5:18 PM, Zaxx said:

Why Skunkape though? I don't want them cutting out random jokes and recasting voice actors

15 hours ago, Zaxx said:

To clarify: I 100% agree with the reasoning behind the changes and I think they are coming from a good place, I just don't agree with the changes themselves.

I don't understand how these two sentences can co-exist. Perhaps you just went off half-cocked in your first post, but if so, you can see how someone can misinterpret your intentions.

• Like 1

Sorry, I've jusst finished replaying MI2, and LeChuck apperently doesn't mention Guybrush's sister in the tunnels. It's my mistake. I must have remembered it wrong.... I wholehartedly appologise for misinformation! 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Goury1 said:

Sorry, I've jusst finished replaying MI2, and LeChuck apperently doesn't mention Guybrush's sister in the tunnels. It's my mistake. I must have remembered it wrong.... I wholehartedly appologise for misinformation! 

Not a problem!

And honestly, I’m a bit relieved. I think a Star Wars parody wasn’t that clever even back then, but in this day and age it’s just painful…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

I don't understand how these two sentences can co-exist. Perhaps you just went off half-cocked in your first post, but if so, you can see how someone can misinterpret your intentions.

Replied to you in the thread about the remasters.

2 hours ago, Goury1 said:

No need to apologize. I tried again and could not get it but he mentions in Wally's room. Maybe he's just making it up (since he does not want to admit he likes doll houses)  and he does not have a sister since at the end we only see 2 siblings. 

• Like 2

PS. I have a proposal! If Ron doesn't acknowledge that Herman is H.T. Marley then let's agree that the retcon is not valid, and NEVER mention it again! In fact, why don't we agree that the entire ending of EFMI (the Giant Monkey Robot and stuff) is not Canonical?

Was Herman always voiced by Wally Wingert or were there various actors doing his voice in EFMI, MI 1:SE and MI2:SE?

It was always Wally Wingert.

1 hour ago, Goury1 said:

PS. I have a proposal! If Ron doesn't acknowledge that Herman is H.T. Marley then let's agree that the retcon is not valid, and NEVER mention it again! In fact, why don't we agree that the entire ending of EFMI (the Giant Monkey Robot and stuff) is not Canonical?

We can’t agree on such things, and I think it’s a really good thing that a fan community can’t decide something like that. Let’s see what Ron does with it.

1 hour ago, Lagomorph01 said:

We can’t agree on such things, and I think it’s a really good thing that a fan community can’t decide something like that. Let’s see what Ron does with it.

I know I know... It was only a joke. Although I would have liked if Ron somehow explained the bizzare EFMI revelations. Maybe the whole of EFMi was only a stange dream after Guybrush had some sort of accident? I would be happy with just about any explanation as long as Herman wasn't H.T Marley and there wasn't any Giant Monkey Robot under Monkey Island...

Edited by Goury1

4 hours ago, Goury1 said:

I know I know... It was only a joke. Although I would have liked if Ron somehow explained the bizzare EFMI revelations. Maybe the whole of EFMi was only a stange dream after Guybrush had some sort of accident? I would be happy with just about any explanation as long as Herman wasn't H.T Marley and there wasn't any Giant Monkey Robot under Monkey Island...

Iirc I saw Ron posting a comment under the tweet about Herman being just Herman instead of "Grandpa!" here. That's to be expected though considering when the game takes place and the fact that EFMI was an obvious retcon compared to his backstory in SoMI.

• Like 1

New interview with Ron and Dave at arstechnicha

Interesting quote from the end:

While the developers aren't ready to go into detail about where Return to Monkey Island will go story-wise, Grossman hinted that the passage of time in the real world has also affected the developers' writing perspective. "I think with games in general—and the Monkey Island series in particular—it has always been a bit autobiographical," he said. "We always are injecting a little of ourselves—not necessarily our past, but our present—into these games. And the first one we did as fresh designers starting out on a new career is about Guybrush starting out on a new career."

"It's been interesting to come back to this now, not with things that have been lingering over the last 30 years but as creators returning to something that we haven't touched in a long time," Grossman said. "I think we have brought some of that to the material itself."

This, to me, hints towards a time skip at some point and maybe we eventually play as an older more experienced Guybrush. Maybe even a Jaded or grumpy one, though I'll admit those last two are wild guesses

• Like 1

Thanks for the link Glokidd! :)

I'm a bit worried about the hint system. I hope that it will be optional and that the more veteran players will get a chance to play the game without any hints being forced upon them...

25 minutes ago, Goury1 said:

I'm a bit worried about the hint system. I hope that it will be optional and that the more veteran players will get a chance to play the game without any hints being forced upon them...

I'm fairly confident it will be inobtrusive after playing thimbleweed park, my first playthrough I didn't even realize there was an inbuilt hint system, I had seen the "hint-line" flyers around but payed them no mind only to realize later that it was a legit in-game hint system.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goury1 said:

Yeah don't worry about it, Thimbleweed Park clearly paved the way in that sense. You can just pretend it doesn't exist and go the only respectable way old school way without hints. I wanna get stuck, bang my head against the screen, all those Monkey Island things I'm so fond of.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rum Rogers said:

I wanna get stuck, bang my head against the screen, all those Monkey Island things I'm so fond of.

Exactly! Being stuck and figuring out the solution later is one of the great joys of adventure gaming for me! The feeling when you finally solve a difficult puzzle is so rewarding!

I think hint systems are great if they never tell you the exact solution but provide hints that give you an objective when you have absolutely no idea what to do. Sometimes when you get really stuck on something all you need is an idea and then off you go and find the solution.

What I think is the most useful when it comes to easing the frustration of getting stuck though is just having the option to focus on other puzzles instead of the one that you're failing at. The first two MI games and Day of the Tentacle are especially good at that and there are traps that type of design can fall into too (for example I think DOTT is a bit overwhelming in the beginning) but it can work super well. DOTT even gives you hints to what you should be doing in the other time periods when you're dealing with one, in a way that's a built in hint system too.

I always liked the difficulty options in MI 2 and 3 too so I'm glad Return will have that. Hopefully that also means that they won't hold back on the "hard" difficulty.

• Like 1

It should be like Special editions are. As long as you do not press a key   it should not give you any. 

• Like 1