Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

2 minutes ago, Thrik said:

Haha. Yeah I spotted that and wondered. It looks like it could be intentionally reduced in detail to make it ambiguous, however it could also just be someone wearing a hat.

This is how my eye saw it at first:

mY7yYvl.jpg

Haha! If that's how Guybrush is gonna look, i foresee Ron's blog getting shut down again! 🤣

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lagomorph01 said:

Haha! If that's how Guybrush is gonna look, i foresee Ron's blog getting shut down again! 🤣

I don't mind it. I mean obviously he won't look EXACTLY like that but to me that reads as a slightly older, perhaps not wiser Guybrush, just like I think might happen.

8 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

Well it's only up to the shoulder, so it's difficult to see how big the head is in relation to the rest of the body. But as I said above, I'm less convinced now I've seen the box carrying animations.

That's true.

To be honest, putting Guybrush randomly in the background sounds like a cheeky Ron move 😁😆 so who knows.

I keep going back to this thing I posted on twitter as a way of tempering my expectations:

"Now this year we get to find out if we actually understand what a Monkey Island game is or if we've all mythologised the thing so much that no new release will ever feel "right""

Something I've noticed when nostalgic things return is that it never feels absolutely right, because the brain is just not very good at accepting the new.

Like... take that picture of the key shop for example. It looks like it's in Melee, just outside the path to the mansion.

My initial, gut response to seeing it is 'no. That's wrong. There's no shop there. And there should not be a shop there. And the very idea of a Monkey Island having a key shop in it is wrong.' - never mind that you can see from other parts of the image that time has passed, and there's no reason there couldn't be a key shop there now. Never mind that there's nothing intrinsically too weird about there being a key shop there, and certainly nothing that makes that weirder than there being a circus, or a voodoo shop, or a tourist trap hook isle, or a swordfighting dojo and so on and so forth.

But it's not familiar and so my poor, worthless brain goes: nope, reject! This isn't a Monkey Island thing.

Obviously this feeling subsides after a while, and the rational bit takes over and you realise 'actually this is a perfectly reasonable thing to put in a game'. Or else you realise that your gut was right all along (Starbuccaneers and Planet Threepwood are just... locations that I do not believe could have existed in the first 2, or even 3 games because of not fitting the tone of what they were doing with the humour). But the initial reaction is always the same, no matter how trivial the change or addition. "Ahh! Something new! It's wrong!"

So when I first play the game I am trying to go in knowing that this gut feeling is going to be happening to me ALL THE TIME and not to pay any attention to it, to wait and see once it has settled how it feels about the whole experience later.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KestrelPi said:

Huh.

And from this angle, too.

image.png

I thnk you can see the top part as a flick of hair, and the bottom part as some sort of beard or stubble, and ... maybe it's just my imagination, but he looks older to me.

Intresting. To me, it looks even more like a chef in that image. There's a clear seperation in tone between the top and bottom of the head that looks like a white hat on top. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thrik said:

Haha I feel like a lunatic scrutinising to this degree but I do think the first overexposed version above looks like a skull guy wearing a hat. It makes the most sense on a ghost ship anyway.

Exactly this. I can’t unsee that now, and I think it’s the only way left to interpret the image. Thanks, @DM81!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fentongames said:

This is like when EMI's first screenshots came out and we were theorising over zoomed-in, pixellised screenshots. :p

All of this is good. It gladdens my poor, ageing, increasingly jaded heart that I can still seen an announcement like this and pin my hopes and dreams to it and hang on every little detail of every little screenshot.

Sure, I'm wise enough now to understand that I need to calm myself and go into it with a clear head, but while it lasts I'm going to enjoy being 15 again.