Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

14 minutes ago, Glokidd said:

I would like to re suggest Garry Chalk, I think he could possibly to an excellent Boen-esque LeChuck I believe but still have it come out sounding his own way. His

Willy T Wino in Thimbleweed Park was very similar in tone to say Boen as Dr: Silverman in the terminator films so I believe he could do his own version of that role in VO and have it sound good. I admit I'm not familiar with his more energetic deliveries which could make or break a good Yarrr and whatnot but I couldn't help but notice the similarities when replaying TP recently. I really want to hear his best pirate voice

I looked him up, and there's a great clip of him as Eggman in this video 

I think he could do it, there's definitely some Boen depth in his voice and if he turned the piratey-ness up to 11 I think he'd be great. They already got him for Thimbleweed Park, why not this?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

I don't really have any concerns, because they have the person who is IMO the best casting and voice direction person in the business, Khris Brown.

I might be remembering wrong, but didn't she cast the original MI voices in the first place with Curse? Or was that Darragh O'Farrell?

EDIT: Nevermind, I checked her IMDB page and she was the dialog editor/senior voice editor.

Edited by OzzieMonkey

2 hours ago, Glokidd said:

I would like to re suggest Garry Chalk, I think he could possibly do an excellent Boen-esque LeChuck I believe but still have it come out sounding his own way. His Willy T Wino in Thimbleweed Park was very similar in tone to say Boen as Dr: Silverman in the terminator films so I believe he could do his own version of that role in VO and have it sound good. I admit I'm not familiar with his more energetic deliveries which could make or break a good Yarrr and whatnot but I couldn't help but notice the similarities when replaying TP recently. I really want to hear his best pirate voice

Whoa! I just listened to some clips, and that's a great suggestion! He definitely has the same vocal range and qualities as Earl Boen has! They'd at least have to have him audition!

You can check out some clips here! The "Devil King" clip comes closest to LeChuck I think, with the added bonus of almost 20 years since that performance that might've given some more natural deepness to his voice.

Edited by Lagomorph01
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, OzzieMonkey said:

I might be remembering wrong, but didn't she cast the original MI voices in the first place with Curse? Or was that Darragh O'Farrell?

EDIT: Nevermind, I checked her IMDB page and she was the dialog editor/senior voice editor.

Yeah, first credited as Chester in MI2 I believe but they later did voice editing on a number of games and then was involved in casting and voice direction since then for many of our beloved games on Mojo including most Double Fine stuff.

There is literally no more appropriate person to be casting and voice directing this so if they can't find the right voice with Khris, it just doesn't exist right now

15 minutes ago, Lagomorph01 said:

Whoa! I just listened to some clips, and that's a great suggestion! He definitely has the same vocal range and qualities as Earl Boen has! They'd at least have to have him audition!

You can check out some clips here! The "Devil King" clip comes closest to LeChuck I think, with the added bonus of almost 20 years since that performance that might've given some more natural deepness to his voice.

Yep, listening to those clips, he's growing on me more and more as a potential LeChuck. He actually sounds a lot like Boen normally does as SIlberman. He's also of similar age,  but not retired yet. If they don't get him, I'm sure whoever they do get will do a good job.

58 minutes ago, Lagomorph01 said:

Oh wow! he's born in my hometown 😂

Yeah that Devil King one really sold me 😁

Edited by Toymafia1988

17 minutes ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

Judging from the recent turn in this thread, Ron needs to give us something new to obsess over soon or we're going to go insane

Pff! Try waiting for Breath of the Wild 2… Talk about a long time to obsess over the same stuff.

17 minutes ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

Judging from the recent turn in this thread, Ron needs to give us something new to obsess over soon or we're going to go insane

Well, we now know that he's got 10,000 bugs to fix. Any game devs in here who can offer some insight into how many bugs usually get fixed per day on a project so we can predict the release date? :p 

24 minutes ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

Ok I admit, me and Ron are in it together through a sort of cosmic mindlink, that's why I triggered the downfall of this thread with my image posting.

That's why Return to Monkey Island is an anagram of Ron and Kestrel Unity ... Om

1 hour ago, KestrelPi said:

Ok I admit, me and Ron are in it together through a sort of cosmic mindlink, that's why I triggered the downfall of this thread with my image posting.

That's why Return to Monkey Island is an anagram of Ron and Kestrel Unity ... Om

I enjoyed it immensely. I'm just wondering where we can go next! 😄

I think I might just start reading this thread from the beginning again...

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

1 hour ago, OzzieMonkey said:

we now know that he's got 10,000 bugs to fix

He said the game had its 10,000th bug filed in the database, not that there are 10,000 bugs currently open. Those are two very different things! It’s been in development for two years so many of those bugs are probably long closed. 

7 hours ago, Lagomorph01 said:

Another point is the direction. I’ve watched all of Twin Peaks again last year, and I noticed that some characters change completely when David Lynch is not directing. Benjamin Horne? Clichéd evil businessman when directed by someone else. With the touch of Lynch however, he changes into this naughty nostalgic man child, it makes the character so much more interesting.

Neither here nor there as far as ReMI goes, I suppose, but Benjamin Horne's monologue in The Return about his childhood bicycle is breathtakingly beautiful. Bravo to Beymer, Lynch, and Frost.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, fentongames said:

I'd imagine that with 10,000 bugs currently open, it would be a struggle to even get the game to run!

Most bugs are extremely minor things most people wouldn't even notice. He even gives an example of one:

It's likely that the vast majority of these bugs reported are similar kinds of cosmetic things which all come down to polish. Many of them might be considered so minor that they're not even worth fixing, because hardly anyone is even going to notice, but of course it's a tester's job to point them out so that a call can be made. Others might take 5 seconds to fix because it's a typo or something.

Sometimes the bug might not even be theirs to fix - I remember I reported some visual glitch when I tested Psychonauts 2, and then someone said 'try this new Nvidia driver that was released yesterday' and that sorted it out.

So 10k isn't as intimidating a number as it initially sounds (and as someone pointed out, a lot of those are likely closed at this point)

Edited by KestrelPi

4 minutes ago, Jake said:

He said the game had its 10,000th bug filed in the database, not that there are 10,000 bugs currently open. Those are two very different things! It’s been in development for two years so many of those bugs are probably long closed. 

Ooooh right that makes way more sense. Thanks for that clarification.

5 hours ago, Remi said:

Neither here nor there as far as ReMI goes, I suppose, but Benjamin Horne's monologue in The Return about his childhood bicycle is breathtakingly beautiful. Bravo to Beymer, Lynch, and Frost.

Beymer is a special soul. I have a special place in my heart for him. At the Twin Peaks festival in 2002 he screened a crazy documentary about himself called "Whatever Happened to Richard Beymer?". I think it shocked a few (understandably), but I was one of the people who thought it was brilliant. It was about how shy he is, and why he hides behind a camera all the time when he's not acting (hence his wonderful photos from behind the scenes on Twin Peaks). It went to some REALLY revealing places. He's a talented artist and filmmaker... and the documentary... It was very brave.

The film used to be on IMDb, but in the intervening years it disappeared from his filmography. I can confirm it DOES exist! (If anyone is Googling this in the future looking for scraps of evidence.) But I doubt it could never be commercially released... 

The next year I got to get to know him a little more. Kooky guy with an amazing spirit.

(Come on, Ron...)

Edited by ThunderPeel2001
  • Like 1

Ron's decided to close the comments again

Some people need to do whatever the Monkey Island fandom equivalent of touch grass is.

We're getting a new Monkey Island game!

That we never thought we'd get!!

By Ron Gilbert and Dave Grossman!!!

This year!!!!

And every little thing we hear about it sounds really cool!!!!

But sure. Focus your energy on saying rude things about 4 screenshots.

To me the great pity of it is that it might put him off wanting to do something like this again.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3