Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

I'm sure the people who are doing this right now will regret it later after having played the actual game. Or they won't and they'll just have to deal with the fact that this is the game Ron wanted to make.

I'm glad they didn't announce the game earlier and waited until development was close to be finished to drop a trailer. I wouldn't have wanted this kind of behavior to alter the look of the game and Ron's vision. 

2 hours ago, KestrelPi said:

Ron's decided to close the comments again

Some people need to do whatever the Monkey Island fandom equivalent of touch grass is.

We're getting a new Monkey Island game!

That we never thought we'd get!!

By Ron Gilbert and Dave Grossman!!!

This year!!!!

And every little thing we hear about it sounds really cool!!!!

But sure. Focus your energy on saying rude things about 4 screenshots.

To me the great pity of it is that it might put him off wanting to do something like this again.

This year has been pretty terrible for me. I was feeling the lowest i've ever felt, i couldn't enjoy anything in my life like i used to and i just felt no hope. However, the news of a new Monkey Island really helped me get excited about something again. I'm so grateful to Ron, Dave and their team for that. 

But  god... it upsets me seeing people crap all over it.

Its like if Santa claus who has brought us so much wonderful joy in the past, surprised us with that dream present we always wanted, but we turn on him because it wasn't right coat of paint we wanted. Its still the toy car we always wanted but all we care about is the damn colour...  

It's a new Monkey Island! In 2022!!!

Its a frigging miracle that Monkey Island was allowed out of the Disney vault. But people obsess only on what they dislike, they can't just enjoy things...

This is why we can't have nice things...

I kinda want to see a Monkey Island themed version of this meme.

i-dont-want-to-live-on-this-planet-anymore.jpg

Edit: come to think of it... Murray is in the background 😂💀

Edited by Toymafia1988
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Toymafia1988 said:

This year has been pretty terrible for me. I was feeling the lowest i've ever felt, i couldn't enjoy anything in my life like i used to and i just felt no hope. However, the news of a new Monkey Island really helped me get excited about something again. I'm so grateful to Ron, Dave and their team for that. 

That’s terrible to hear. I hope things turn up for you soon, and I’m thankful this new game brought some light in your life when you were feeling down.

Take care. ❤️

Ron having to shut the comments down again really makes me sad. People are shitting on his doorstep, and even when he points out to them how rude that is they continue to shit on his doorstep. I hope the team knows it’s just a vocal minority, I know I take comfort in that.

2 hours ago, OzzieMonkey said:

@ThunderPeel2001, next time you ask for something new to obsess on, please be more specific. 😜

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Toymafia1988 said:

Same here. This year folks. My eyes are acting up and no doctor seems to be able to help. My neighbor upstairs is a stoned literally psychotic a-hole that no one is moving out. Putin doing all the hitlerisms including genocide. People in Germany throwing all pandemic countermeasures over board simply because they feel entitled to. Prices are exploding and no salary raise is in sight. I can't expect my BFF to focus on my silly problems while her dad is in such a horrific state. So this announcement really was a ray of light in the darkest times.

This weekend I'll try to color my sketch from Wednesday, then maybe try to interpret the same shadow shape in different ways. Foster some positivity somewhere.

35 minutes ago, Vainamoinen said:

Same here. This year folks. My eyes are acting up and no doctor seems to be able to help. My neighbor upstairs is a stoned literally psychotic a-hole that no one is moving out. Putin doing all the hitlerisms including genocide. People in Germany throwing all pandemic countermeasures over board simply because they feel entitled to. Prices are exploding and no salary raise is in sight. I can't expect my BFF to focus on my silly problems while her dad is in such a horrific state. So this announcement really was a ray of light in the darkest times.

I’m sorry to hear that, Vainamoinen. I hope you’ll find someone who can help with your eyes. I just had surgery last january to add extra lenses to mine, both my eyes were -7. Anyway, I hope things look up for you too! This is such a positive community, and I feel awful hearing that people feel down. ❤️

I’m currently watching a walkthrough of the first 60 minutes of Thimbleweed Park with Ron Gilbert, and I’m falling completely in love with that game and his writing again! If RtMI is half as amusing, I’m sold!

Edited by Lagomorph01
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Zaxx said:

While on the topic of Thimbleweed Park (who was? I was!) and the MI:SE’s (who was? Zaxx was!), that’s actually how I’d like a remaster (or SE) of Monkey Island 1 and 2 to look and play. Use the original sprites and assets, but make them shine with modern shiny new polishy goodness.

Add a global lighting system that lights the characters and objects. Make pixeled grass and other details sway in the foreground. Let the water flow with nice Mark Ferrari-ish pallette cycles! Make tiny pixelated moths circle the lights and those kinds of things. Let the soundtracks be remastered by Michael Land, Clint Bajakian and Peter McConnel, and add some more athmospheric sound effects here and there.
Those things would be enough to make the game breathe, and make it seem a bit more alive, while still staying true to it’s roots.

(Of course the whole thing should be voiced, but they could just use the current SE’s voice assets… (or rerecord everything except the main parts with better casting and direction.))

• Like 1

I know @Marius tried something similar - starting with the published source code from the Delores engine release and adding a couple Monkey 1 scenes. You could conceivably start from there and then split them out to have parallaxing layers, lighting, effects, but it would be a lot of work given how relatively undocumented that release is. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Lagomorph01 said:

While on the topic of Thimbleweed Park (who was? I was!) and the MI:SE’s (who was? Zaxx was!), that’s actually how I’d like a remaster (or SE) of Monkey Island 1 and 2 to look and play. Use the original sprites and assets, but make them shine with modern shiny new polishy goodness.

Add a global lighting system that lights the characters and objects. Make pixeled grass and other details sway in the foreground. Let the water flow with nice Mark Ferrari-ish pallette cycles! Make tiny pixelated moths circle the lights and those kinds of things. Let the soundtracks be remastered by Michael Land, Clint Bajakian and Peter McConnel, and add some more athmospheric sound effects here and there.
Those things would be enough to make the game breathe, and make it seem a bit more alive, while still staying true to it’s roots.

(Of course the whole thing should be voiced, but they could just use the current SE’s voice assets… (or rerecord everything except the main parts with better casting and direction.))

For now I'm happy to have the Ultimate Talkies but my god that would be awesome! I do think it'd be cool to have the original scans for MI2 though, but yeah keep the original sprites, I find they're more timeless than background art. What I would love to do is find a way to swap out the music in classic mode of MI2 with the SE music so both modes have remastered music. I tried creating a new wavebank file but to no success (the game was dead silent in classic mode). It's a shame the Ultimate Talkie of 2 can't do this because the intricacies of how it handles the iMuse transitions was beyond the scope of that project and not compaitible with ScummVM in its current form.

Does anybody know if that's possible? I know the person who made the Cursed soundtrack for 1 created a wavebank to use in the SE so they might know, but again 2 is way more complicated because of iMuse.

• Like 2

Personally I just think the MI2:SE was just so much better implemented than MI1 (aside from the unfortunate implementation of the MT32 audio) that I feel like the first SE ought to be re-remasted to bring it up to a similar standard - though I think that's unlikely to happen.

I'm fine with the high res graphics in principle, but I think we should have just been able to mix and match old and new graphics and audio freely. And I think whatever they were trying with MI1SE visuals should have been closer to the spirit of the original.

In the end it's all opinions, I suppose, but I think a remaster should be about preservation and enhancement which means the original game should be there as much as possible (I'm not fussy if they have to change a few lines for whatever reason) and anything added on top of it should be in the same spirit as the original. I think MI2 mostly succeeds at that, but MI1 doesn't, so much.

Hi everybody, hope your all having a good weekend😃

I woke up with this optimistic feeling that this morning their would be some news but sadly no dice. June feels so far away... 😂

I have a question for you all. How have you been dealing with wait? What have you been playing?

For me as soon as Return to Monkey Island was announced I played:

- Grim Fandango, i finally beat it for the first time

- i played through Putt Putt saves the zoo and Pajama Sam 1

- I started DeathSpank but kept getting lost and put it on hold

Also, I'm finally playing Psychonauts 2 and loving it. It's really helped me come out of a low period.

After that I'm planning to play Knights and Bikes (because of Rex's art) and Sam and Max Beyond Time and Space Remastered. 😁

Edited by Toymafia88
  • Like 2

I've been meaning to play Broken Age since it became available for free during the pandemic. Will get around to that at some point soon. Also need to replay Thimbleweed Park as I've not played it since launch, and not with the patched updates at all.

I actually did replay the MI games over the Christmas holidays after receiving the complete, ultra definitive never-gonna-be-another-one Monkey Island Anthology Collection from LimitedRun ( 🙄 ) but am definitely going to have to do it again with ReMI coming out. Maybe I'll build up to it by playing Curse - Tales, then MI1/2 leading straight into ReMI.

I only finished playing the outstanding LucasFilm/LucasArts games a few years back. I never played Zak McKracken to the end until then as I just found the dead ends so frustrating, but eventually beat it using a walkthrough, ultimately feeling like I wasn't missing much barring the awesome theme tune. That may have also been the first time I'd finished The Dig too.

Will likely replay all the Sam & Max's when The Devil's Playhouse remastered arrives. I like playing these games in a set if you haven't worked that out yet! :p

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve been playing Broken Sword 1, MI1SE, Day of the Tentacle, and now MI2SE. I’m hoping to get through all the Monkey Island games before ReMI but I’m not so precious about it.

I came up with a sad, long list of issues with MI1SE while playing it. That so many glaring problems got through is mildly shocking. Fortunately MI2SE seems a lot better apart from the classic mode music screw-up.

Thankfully I've had uni assignments to keep me busy and since it's Psychology that means a tonne of research papers to dissect (yay! 🙄) I pop in here when I've got writers block or between classes. The trimester is wrapping up now and I'm finishing up my last major assignment, so soon begins my descent into madness as I scramble to look for distractions to contain my excitement and anticipation for more content to discuss.