Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

Mine wasn't filmed but I sat down my wife on the couch, all seriously mind you, took her by the hands and said "Do you remember how excited I was for Spiderman with three Spidermen in it? That pales in comparison to what Ron just announced..." All the whole speaking calmly and containing my excitement.

My wife just rolled her eyes and smiled at my goofiness.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Scummbuddy said:

Mine wasn't filmed but I sat down my wife on the couch, all seriously mind you, took her by the hands and said "Do you remember how excited I was for Spiderman with three Spidermen in it? That pales in comparison to what Ron just announced..." All the whole speaking calmly and containing my excitement.

My wife just rolled her eyes and smiled at my goofiness.

I wasn't with my girlfriend at the time, but you bet I called her at 1 in the morning to tell her the good news. She just said "cool, I'm happy for you, can I go back to sleep now?" 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Glokidd said:

My security cameras caught mine lol

The frantic run in followed by "it's real! it's real!" just killed me. It's priceless! I totally get that feeling of having all that excited energy and not quite knowing what to do with it so you bolt to the people closest to you and just unload 😜

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I loved how I found out about the official reveal and trailer.

Going back 11 months to the summer, when the "Sea of Thieves" DLC came out and there was a massive Monkey Island easter egg in it, I watched it on YouTube (I don't own the game but I saw the video as a suggestion in my feed). It was a nice July night and I was enjoying a couple of beers and decided to leave a comment, which basically stated that the easter egg made it clear that Disney knew Monkey Island existed and I was hoping the easter egg was a teaser of what's to come. I ended the comment by stating my hope for the original trio, Ron, Dave, and Tim to collaborate one more time to make the game Ron wanted to make.

Nine months later, I had seen Ron's Grumpy Gamer post on April 1st and, like many, thought it was a 50/50 chance of being true. Ron has such a creative sense of humor, I had honestly no idea what to make of it. Over the weekend, I had actually forgot about it.

The day of the reveal trailer, someone responded to that 9 month-old YouTube comment with the news of the new game and I got the notification of that response. Upon reading it, I immediately Googled "Monkey Island" and watched the trailer. I think the shock of reading that response was even greater than the trailer itself for me.

This YouTube video will forever mean something special to me lol.

Edited by demone
  • Like 3

I believe it is in our best interests to contact the musician who was tasked with creating this piece. I'd love to know their history with music, how they felt when handed this piece to remake, and see if they had any previous knowledge of the MI franchise. They did a beautiful job with this work.

11 hours ago, BillyCheers said:

I just watched it (three times) for the first time and literally had tears in my eyes – because it’s so beautiful and very similar of my (and probably many’s) reactions! 🥰

You're not alone with the tears, but 🤫

9 hours ago, Glokidd said:

My security cameras caught mine lol

Watching this really feels like a rude invasion of your privacy. Thanks for sharing. 😆

I've only recently become fascinated with interpassivity, with Let's Plays and movie reaction videos, and from what I can tell, your pure joy or Marius' joy is something that the AAA game industry can only dream of.

I'm pretty sure last week's Final Fantasy XVI 'summon' trailer easily cost ten thousand times as much as Devolver's teaser did, even though it's really just a bunch of black dudes on a black background (and they stole Sauron's armor for Odin), but I highly doubt it elicited even a fraction of the enthusiasm.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Vainamoinen said:

You're not alone with the tears, but 🤫

Watching this really feels like a rude invasion of your privacy. Thanks for sharing. 😆

I've only recently become fascinated with interpassivity, with Let's Plays and movie reaction videos, and from what I can tell, your pure joy or Marius' joy is something that the AAA game industry can only dream of.

I'm pretty sure last week's Final Fantasy XVI 'summon' trailer easily cost ten thousand times as much as Devolver's teaser did, even though it's really just a bunch of black dudes on a black background (and they stole Sauron's armor for Odin), but I highly doubt it elicited even a fraction of the enthusiasm.

Ehh.. as someone fairly into FF stuff I think that's a little unfair. I mean I've been playing that MMO for a while and I think it's easy to underestimate the capacity of FF fans to get excited. It's highly anticipated because of the involvement of a much loved producer and music director of the series and contains lots of details which ought to appeal to fans of the series. I certainly enjoyed it and I think it's kinda weird to compare the impact of these two completely different things. They're not even the same type of video (full trailer vs announcement/teaser)

Anyway, my own experience of the teaser is that I was idly browsing and found out about ReMI about 30 seconds before going into a work meeting, then had to sit on that knowledge for an hour before finally being able to watch it. No tears from me... I think I kinda simultaneously was excited and apprehensive, as I immediately had so many questions. I've never been *unconditionally* excited by the idea of a new Ronzo MI, for me it's always been about the team, and so until I understood more about how this was being made and who was involved I had to temper my enthusiasm somewhat. The nice thing is everything I heard since has made me more excited, which is certainly the direction I like things to go.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Junaid said:

Soooo... anyone else think we might get something at Devolver's show later today?

Yeah. I hope more toxic, I-speak-for-the-majority types aren't visibly childish about it, ruining the fun.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Kroms said:

Yeah. I hope more toxic, I-speak-for-the-majority types aren't visibly childish about it, ruining the fun.

That reminds me, I need to go to sleep so I'm well rested to see this thing in the morning. See you then for either mega-excitement and further discussion or disappointment and commiserating :p 

Those reaction videos are priceless. I literally got teary eyed myself watching them! 🥲

I really wish I had my reaction on video... all I remember is seeing something about an announcement on April 1st and completely dismissing it. I didn't even consider if it could be possibly true, and probably kept on scrolling...

Once I saw the trailer, I can't describe it as anything put pure, childish joy. The music... it just sent shivers up my spine!

Heck, it must have made an impression, as I even explained it my wife (who's not into computer games) that my all time favourite computer game series was coming back, and she was amused by my childish excited 😅

I then proceeded to get back into playing games after not really touching them in 14 years...

Edited by madmardi
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Lagomorph01 said:

I'll be seeing it tomorrow morning, after I take my 3 months old boy to his first baby-swimming lesson!

Life always comes first, but I'm really excited nonetheless!

Yea, it's almost 11:00 PM here, so I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow sometime to catch up on everything... 

Man, I really hope there's a trailer!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, KestrelPi said:

Ehh.. as someone fairly into FF stuff I think that's a little unfair. [...] it's kinda weird to compare the impact [...]

Oh god I'm so happy I never translated my full "Poké(sum)mon" trailer review into English. That would have further endangered our relationship. 😅 But it's true, that trailer had nothing for me besides a three second reminiscence to Uematsu-san's "Prologue" theme. I assure you, I come from an initial position of rabid FF fandom as well, it's just that this love has stopped being requited for nigh 20 years. Which could lead me to compare the change in target audiences of the MI and FF franchise, but ...

22 hours ago, Kroms said:

I hope more toxic, I-speak-for-the-majority types aren't visibly childish about it, ruining the fun.

Ohhhhh but those are so cute. Particularly when they speak in the social "we".

21 hours ago, madmardi said:

Yea, it's almost 11:00 PM here, so I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow sometime to catch up on everything...

The Devolver thing will air at midnight over here. So I'll have to make a similar decision. I think the basic question I'll have to answer to myself is: "How crazy am I?"

22 hours ago, Junaid said:

Soooo... anyone else think we might get something at Devolver's show later today?

Does Raphael twerk at April? Of course I think so! 👍

Edited by Vainamoinen
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vainamoinen said:

The Devolver thing will air at midnight over here. So I'll have to make a similar decision. I think the basic question I'll have to answer to myself is: "How crazy am I?"

Same here. My answer is pretty clear: "Yes." 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Vainamoinen said:

Oh god I'm so happy I never translated my full "Poké(summ)on" trailer review into English. That would have further endangered our relationship. 😅 But it's true, that trailer had nothing for me besides a three second reminiscence to Uematsu-san's "Prologue" theme. I assure you, I come from an initial position of rabid FF fandom as well, it's just that this love has stopped being requited for nigh 20 years. Which could lead me to compare the change in target audiences of the MI and FF franchise, but ...

Eh, not wanting to drive this too far off topic, my point wasn't so much about the trailer itself. I don't have strong feelings about the trailer, and I doubt anything you could say about it would particularly bother me. I thought it was enjoyable and looked nice, and I think it's nice to have a FF game backing off from some of the more sci-fi settings we've had lately (I like sci-fi, I just think the variety is nice). Yes, I am someone who thinks the FFXIV story arc which started out mediocre has grown into the best story the series has told in recent years, but that's sorta by the by.

My point was more that if you think that a CBUIII led FF game trailer topped with a personal Yoshi P message isn't enough to get a certain segment of the FF fandom as excited as some others are for the ReMI announcement ...I do not agree. So I think it was a bit of a weird pull, with regards to the point you were trying to make about AAA hype vs Indie hype.

I do think, to gently nudge towards the topic again, there's some truth in the idea that there's a certain amount of power in keeping the hype cycles short and sweet. What MI is doing here is what I like to see.

A little tease, followed by a longer trailer (today) followed by a game, hopefully, none of them too far apart from eachother.

An announcement followed by nothing for years followed by a trailer followed by another year of waiting before release doesn't really do it for me, and just seems like this lumbering pace for the cycle to work at. Letting me play a game while my excitement for it is still fresh, is something I wish it was easier to do - but then again, I suppose the kind of secrecy that requires is so much easier with smaller games. I guess, overall... this stuff is difficult to balance.

2 minutes ago, Rum Rogers said:

Well this was disappointing.

It just feels like a wasted opportunity to not show what is arguably their most anticipated game (the trailer alone has over a million views) at the first big showcase since its announcement. I don't get it.