Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

15 hours ago, neoncolor8 said:

Noah Falstein was doing a live interview right now on twitch, spoke about playing Return (Alpha testing). Nothing too specific but he says it's Ron's best work and the storytelling is one of a kind! 

He even said that the storytelling is so special that it's gonna be a topic for studies on the topic for years to come! 

He also said he's gonna be back playing it again soon because the VO is being implemented and he's still a beta tester. 

'Cressup' on twitch!

Here's the link to the interview with a timestamp when she asks about Return:

https://www.twitch.tv/cressup/v/1501961031?sr=a&t=5079s

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Vainamoinen said:

It looks like he has Leia hair buns. So I'll call him Lester.

Haha, I also thought these are Leia hair buns.

The gender of them is hard to read, I always thought they're a woman.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, neoncolor8 said:

Here's the link to the interview with a timestamp when she asks about Return:

https://www.twitch.tv/cressup/v/1501961031?sr=a&t=5079s

Interesting, he says that in the first 10 minutes they do something with storytelling that he would have never thought possible.

I have to imagine that this has something to do with how they get from the carnival to telling a (somewhat) regular pirate story for most of the rest of the game.

He also says that the game has stuff to say about the nature of interactive storytelling. To me this is all pointing towards the game having a really interesting kind of conceptual wrapper/device/structure that is really related to whatever's going on in the carnival.

He also says, in relation to a question about the Secret: "I was working with Ron when he was working on the very first game, and I know what he had in mind for the secret then, and it has a very significant bearing on what you see in this latest game."

• Like 2

Just now, Rum Rogers said:

I watched it live yesterday and had goosebumps when Noah mentioned the first minutes are going to be discussed for years to come and will probably be subject of a Master's thesis for those studying storytelling. It's fantastic to hear.

I watched the VOD today and holy crap...the hype is real. I'm more hyped for this than anything in years. Now what's a guy gotta do to get a drink  trailer around here?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rum Rogers said:

Still gotta play Death Stranding, anyone could explain the joke? Possibly without spoiling anything?

I've never played it either, but from what I understand, the brunt of the game involves carrying cargo from one spot to another.

• Like 2

Yeah it’s a pretty superficial joke. 😅

The game takes you through all sorts of sci-fi and supernatural craziness, but fundamentally you are a courier, as opposed to a soldier or plumber.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Marius said:

I love these box-carrying-ghost-pirate screens.  😄 It looks like they got lost and have to ask around where the dock is. So much determination.

Yeah, on his way to the trailer: "Can't stop, big news coming through!" 😅

4 hours ago, Rum Rogers said:

Still gotta play Death Stranding, anyone could explain the joke? Possibly without spoiling anything?

Death Stranding... 💖💖💖

Edited by ThunderPeel2001
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Rum Rogers said:

I watched it live yesterday and had goosebumps when Noah mentioned the first minutes are going to be discussed for years to come and will probably be subject of a Master's thesis for those studying storytelling. It's fantastic to hear.

I hope this topic isn't drowned out by delivery ghost memes. 😅

Of course Noah will exaggerate a bit and who would blame him, but I'm confident that he wouldn't draw this much attention to the beginning part if it was just a bad segue from LeChuck's Revenge to Return to Monkey Island. We actually have a rather clear idea what those first ten minutes are about: We're starting off at the Carnival of the Damned, Ron always wanted to, and we're resolving a situation that's been left unresolved for over 30 years. But they can't just render a solution, they also immediately have to hook us onto a new story arc. The first and the latter are difficult, but both at the same time especially so.

I'm so excited to see what they have cooked up!

• Like 2