Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

2 minutes ago, Knight Owl said:

Ok, prediction time. What page of this forum will we be on by the time we get another trailer?

Maybe this is a little too optimistic but I'm gonna guess 76.

That was literally the number I had in mind. Of course, with my track record there will be no trailer and the game will be cancelled released right around page 157, mind you.

57 minutes ago, Knight Owl said:

Ok, prediction time. What page of this forum will we be on by the time we get another trailer?

Maybe this is a little too optimistic but I'm gonna guess 76.

QUICK!

If we all post more often the trailer will come out faster.

Lets get to 76 pages by tomorrow 😂

Edited by Toymafia88
  • Haha 4

Speaking of the website... because there's nothing else to talk about, I'm really surprised at how it's put together. It's made up of tons of little PNGs (or webp's). It must have taken forever to build. I've never seen a website put together this way (although it was clearly compiled -- anyone know what it was written in?).

On 6/22/2022 at 7:44 AM, OzzieMonkey said:

I found the Reddit thread this is from and Dom is actually just responding to the question posed by the OP which was "are you also going crazy from not hearing more news about the game" so all this means is he is just as desperate as us...impressive since he still knows more than we do 😂

That's correct, I was replying to OP. Yes, I am also going crazy from not hearing more news about the game 😄

Which is not to put myself in your shoes. But my impatience comes from two places.

First, there's still a LOT I haven't seen. Or more accurately, I've seen almost everything, but almost none of it has been in its final form. I did a playthrough months ago to prep for recording, but since GB's voice is now in the can and the performance will gain nothing from me seeing/learning more, I'm actively trying not to fire it up so I can preserve some of the unknown for myself!  (Primarily voices, graphical polish and some puzzles.)

Even more, though, I just can't freaking wait for all of you to see it. Social media existed last time we did this, but it didn't have the same ability to go from 0-170 mph in an instant. I'm just really, really looking forward to a big, collective outburst of joy 🙂

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Dmnkly said:

That's correct, I was replying to OP. Yes, I am also going crazy from not hearing more news about the game 😄

Which is not to put myself in your shoes. But my impatience comes from two places.

First, there's still a LOT I haven't seen. Or more accurately, I've seen almost everything, but almost none of it has been in its final form. I did a playthrough months ago to prep for recording, but since GB's voice is now in the can and the performance will gain nothing from me seeing/learning more, I'm actively trying not to fire it up so I can preserve some of the unknown for myself!  (Primarily voices, graphical polish and some puzzles.)

Even more, though, I just can't freaking wait for all of you to see it. Social media existed last time we did this, but it didn't have the same ability to go from 0-170 mph in an instant. I'm just really, really looking forward to a big, collective outburst of joy 🙂

I can't wait for more outbursts of joy! It seems to me that whenever there's radio silence about something, especially with a Disney property, the next bit of news is just an onslaught of exciting content. I'm hopeful for that, even though I mostly just want a release date haha. 

Edited by OzzieMonkey

Further thoughts on Tales of Monkey Island now I've hit episode 2:

* I think Guybrush is written a bit too stupid/silly in these episodes so far. He's a little bit wet and sometimes a bit oblivious - mostly to problems he's causing, but I never got the sense in the first few games that he was a complete buffoon -- he gets stuff done and can hold his own in a battle of wits. Here he occasionally approaches Homer Simpson levels of obliviousness. I don't think it's a bad joke for Guybrush to be so tickled by the idea of mermaids existing that he doesn't pay attention to what Winslow's saying, but it doesn't feel particularly Guybrush to me.

* I've only played the start of Chapter 2, but so far I think it flows a bit better than the first, and the dialogue is just a little snappier overall. There's some signs of them settling into the writing style that really starts paying off in the next episode if I recall.

* I enjoyed the puzzle at the end of Chapter 1 involving listening out for De Singe's sounds.

* I'm worried I'm not gonna love some of these jokes about the Merfolk.

* It's done something which is a really nitpicky pet peeve of mine. It's not 'Insult Swordfighting' and shouldn't be called that in universe. It's just sword fighting. EMI is the worst at this, treating 'Insult Swordfighting' like it's a thing, and not just what players called the puzzle about swordfighting, but I think to make a whole thing of it undermines the excellent joke/puzzle in MI1 that this is how they resolved to implement swordfighting in an adventure game.

* a friend pointed out something to me that i think I agree with. People are way too nice to Guybrush. Guybrush can be a little bit of a jerk sometimes but it was always balanced out by the characters generally having no interest in being his friend, or feeding his ego. I think it's fun to have the one character, Winslow comically taking everything in his stride, but other characters are a lot like that too, way too tolerant of Threep's bullshit.

* I still feel like the difficulty is piched about right, once you turn hints down

* It's a nicer looking game than I remember, but that makes me want a remaster more than ever.

* De Cava's theme music is really nice.

• Like 1

Just had the thought that the recap could be a playable part at the beginning. So that we (and especially new adventure gamers) lern the controls and “type” of the game and at the same time to get everyone back on track. Could be fun to play through the story so far in easy puzzles as a kind of tutorial. 

(And then it’s back to the carnival…… 🙊🤩)

6 hours ago, KestrelPi said:

* De Cava's theme music is really nice.

And the fencing theme Michael wrote for the beginning. I could listen to that for hours.

1 minute ago, madmardi said:

I was wondering if they were going to do playable flashbacks like TP.. if they did it would make sense why it’s not just a direct sequel to MI2. Also avoids time travel while still jumping around in the story.

Avoids time travel, indeed, but also makes the whole thing pretty linear because you know the outcome of these scenes. Hmmm. I'm still clinging to the prediction that ReMI will consist of a series of playable flashbacks. But we'll see. SOON.

8 hours ago, Dmnkly said:

This can't be right. That pirate's actually working.

There's a reason LeChuck makes them ghost pirates first. 😉

8 hours ago, OzzieMonkey said:

Since we're on page 69, does anyone else find the delivery of that number as a guess in the Mysts O'Tyme in Escape kinda...suggestive?

I have no idea what you're talking about. Please elaborate in detail. 🙉

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Vainamoinen said:

I have no idea what you're talking about. Please elaborate in detail. 🙉

When you go to the Mysts O'Thyme and are faced with future Guybrush, one of the numbers he can say you're thinking of is 69. The line delivery sounds exactly like someone who finds that number funny for NSFW reasons. Maybe it's just my inner teenage boy hearing things, but it always sounded like the voice director knew what they were doing when they had Dom read that line.

Edited by OzzieMonkey

1 hour ago, OzzieMonkey said:

When you go to the Mysts O'Thyme and are faced with future Guybrush, one of the numbers he can say you're thinking of is 69. The line delivery sounds exactly like someone who finds that number funny for NSFW reasons. Maybe it's just my inner teenage boy hearing things, but it always sounded like the voice director knew what they were doing when they had Dom read that line.

I can't say I'm a complete expert on US culture and language, but I would guess the 69 is a reference that has long since found its way into generally kid-friendly franchises. For me, most notably, the 1989 movie Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. It was probably perceived as too raunchy in Germany at the time, so they dubbed over it with a reference to Arnold Schwarzenegger.

This might be one of the allusions that you can put into anything. Whoever understands it is probably old enough to do so. Same with the "Is that a ... in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?" paradigm. It's in Who framed Roger Rabbit (rated PG).

So, yes, the director probably asked Dom to NOW SAY IT WITH THE SLEAZY VOICE.  But that doesn't make EMI a sex game. Well, for Fox News maybe. And that Argentinian TV station that raged about how kids imbibe "Grog XD".

8 minutes ago, TimeGentleman said:

What are these "NSFW reasons"? Can you please explain fully?

Hey, that was my joke up there. 😆

Edited by Vainamoinen
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Vainamoinen said:

I can't say I'm a complete expert on US culture and language, but I would guess the 69 is a reference that has long since found its way into generally kid-friendly franchises. For me, most notably, the 1989 movie Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. It was probably perceived as too raunchy in Germany at the time, so they dubbed over it with a reference to Arnold Schwarzenegger.

This might be one of the allusions that you can put into anything. Whoever understands it is probably old enough to do so. Same with the "Is that a ... in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?" paradigm. It's in Who framed Roger Rabbit (rated PG).

So, yes, the director probably asked Dom to NOW SAY IT WITH THE SLEAZY VOICE.  But that doesn't make EMI a sex game. Well, for Fox News maybe. And that Argentinian TV station that raged about how kids imbibe "Grog XD".

Hey, that was my joke up there. 😆

Yeah that was kinda how I saw it if there was any intention at all. It certainly doesn't come near the Leisure Suit Larry levels of "humour".

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Vainamoinen said:

Whoever understands it is probably old enough to do so. Same with the "Is that a ... in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?" paradigm. It's in Who framed Roger Rabbit (rated PG).

I’m sorry, please explain this paradigm to me?

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Thrik said:

I’m sorry, please explain this paradigm to me?

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OrAreYouJustHappyToSeeMe

In the Roger Rabbit movie, Dolores asks detective Eddie: "Is that a rabbit in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?". It's of course a rabbit in his pocket, but with a whole lot of goodwill and a Mr.-Magoo-level of blindness, you could misconstrue it as an erection. And that's the joke.

Interestingly, the meme was also used in Tales of Monkey Island – as "Is that a banana in your pocket or are you just happy to see us?"

It's also used in Thimbleweed Park.

Edited by Vainamoinen

The 69 reference in mists of time is 100% a Bill and Ted reference, because in that movie Ted meets himself in a time loop and asks what number he’s thinking of and they both answer with “69 dude!!!”

There aren’t many movie references that direct elsewhere in the games are there? Where guybrush will straight up quote a movie’s own joke. The one example that comes to mind is giving the Phatt Island librarian “1060 West Addison” as your address, which is the address they give to the cops in the Blues Brothers to throw them off the scent, later revealed to be the address of Wrigley Field. But even that one feels more understated. 

• Like 3