Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

A bit sad to see there's no clear reference to EMI whereas all the other games are strongly acknowledged. I mean, if you embrace TMI it makes no sense to ignore EMI. It's all or nothing imho. Just a minor complaint here, I'm literally just sad for EMI to also be bashed by RMI when it's been stated that all the games will be treated with respect. Maybe there WILL be some reference and then I'll be fully at peace.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dmnkly said:

KestrelPi, I hope you don't mind that I ganked your screenshots (with credit for choosing them!) for use in a discussion over on Twitter.

Well now, what have you given me in return?

Oh, riiiiight. Voiced one of my favourite video game characters for 25 years. 😉

(also, you were more patient with that 'they're the exact same art style' comment than I would have been, well done!)

Edited by KestrelPi
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Staple Remover said:

This bums me out pretty good… my only hope is that any person associated with the development of this game knows about this site and reads what we have to say instead of such toxic nonsense.

At least we know @Dmnkly does, so he might probably report that there's still tons of adoring fans.

30 minutes ago, Thrik said:

I posted this on Twitter, but thought it worth noting here how the final Guybrush design wasn’t so far off the early concept Rex sent to Ron in the end.

IG0wRDI.jpg

Yeah, the hair is really a lot similar, and obviously a lot of the proportions are similar too. I think that the changes in the shapes and the extra contours on the face make a lot of difference to how I experience the character though.

• Like 1

I've heard several times now in YouTube videos or comments that the game is supposed to be Switch exclusive at the beginning... Is there any official confirmation somewhere or did these people just interpret the sentence "Return to Monkey Island sets sail for Nintendo Switch and PC later this year" in the way that the "later" refers to PC? It could mean both, couldn't it? :largo: 

3 minutes ago, BillyCheers said:

I've heard several times now in YouTube videos or comments that the game is supposed to be Switch exclusive at the beginning... Is there any official confirmation somewhere or did these people just interpret the sentence "Return to Monkey Island sets sail for Nintendo Switch and PC later this year" in the way that the "later" refers to PC? It could mean both, couldn't it? :largo: 

I'm pretty sure those people mean console launch exclusive.

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Rum Rogers said:

A bit sad to see there's no clear reference to EMI whereas all the other games are strongly acknowledged. I mean, if you embrace TMI it makes no sense to ignore EMI. It's all or nothing imho. Just a minor complaint here, I'm literally just sad for EMI to also be bashed by RMI when it's been stated that all the games will be treated with respect. Maybe there WILL be some reference and then I'll be fully at peace.

Yeah, I think it's a little early to say Return is bashing Escape. 

Edited by demone
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Rum Rogers said:

What more could you want, man?

PTQnc8n.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

33 minutes ago, Rum Rogers said:

I would definitely like to see a reference to the ultimate insult or the EMI islands or even some of the characters (mostly Miss Rivers).

• Like 1

I don't want to get too deep into this but I hope they shy away from insult stuff a bit, if they're gonna make a reference.

My interpretation of insult swordfighting in MI1 was that it was just swordfighting. It wasn't like a special form of swordfighting, it was just a framing device for making fights work in a format where they didn't want to have actual combat. They never actually call it 'insult swordfighting' in the game. It worked within the logic of the game, but the intent behind it wasn't that 'these are the rules of swordfighting in this world.

CMI brought it back and I think it was fun to change it so that they had to rhyme at sea, but I also think it was the start of the games being weird about insult fighting. There's no reason why non-rhyming insults shouldnt be effective at sea, that sort of undermines the whole point of the insult being a way of throwing the opponent off guard. But I accepted it because I guess within the fiction you could have it that at sea the tradition of rhyming insults is so ingrained that even a brilliant insult that doesn't rhyme doesn't sting in the same way it usually would because it would be an embarrassing faux pas. Sure.

Then EMI takes it several steps further. First Guybrush can't win against Ozzie because he can't understand the insults (why would you be insulted by an insult that makes no sense to you?) But also they start calling it 'insult arm wrestling' and 'insult swordfighting' and then get all metaphysical about it and introduce the idea of the ultimate insult which in my mind just goes WAY past what insulting was intended to represent in the first game.

They calm it down a bit in Tales but it still gets talked about as 'insult swordfighting'.

Maybe this is a peeve I and I alone have, but I have no time for making insults and insult swordfighting a 'thing' in the MI universe. It's just swordfighting! Insults are just a game mechanic!

...Ahem :classic_blush:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, KestrelPi said:

I don't want to get too deep into this but I hope they shy away from insult stuff a bit, if they're gonna make a reference.

Totally agree, I would have just loved a little scribble of Ozzie Mandrill, or a kangaroo. Just to communicate "hey, you can hate it as much as you want but we acknowledge it has a right to exist."

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

My interpretation of insult swordfighting in MI1 was that it was just swordfighting. It wasn't like a special form of swordfighting, it was just a framing device for making fights work in a format where they didn't want to have actual combat. They never actually call it 'insult swordfighting' in the game. It worked within the logic of the game, but the intent behind it wasn't that 'these are the rules of swordfighting in this world.

CMI brought it back and I think it was fun to change it so that they had to rhyme at sea, but I also think it was the start of the games being weird about insult fighting. There's no reason why non-rhyming insults shouldnt be effective at sea, that sort of undermines the whole point of the insult being a way of throwing the opponent off guard. But I accepted it because I guess within the fiction you could have it that at sea the tradition of rhyming insults is so ingrained that even a brilliant insult that doesn't rhyme doesn't sting in the same way it usually would because it would be an embarrassing faux pas. Sure.

Then EMI takes it several steps further. First Guybrush can't win against Ozzie because he can't understand the insults (why would you be insulted by an insult that makes no sense to you?) But also they start calling it 'insult arm wrestling' and 'insult swordfighting' and then get all metaphysical about it and introduce the idea of the ultimate insult which in my mind just goes WAY past what insulting was intended to represent in the first game.

They calm it down a bit in Tales but it still gets talked about as 'insult swordfighting'.

Maybe this is a peeve I and I alone have, but I have no time for making insults and insult swordfighting a 'thing' in the MI universe. It's just swordfighting! Insults are just a game mechanic!

...Ahem :classic_blush:

100% agree with this. When I saw Guybrush and Morgan just actually swordfight, my mind was blown because it was all insult swordfighting up until that point and it was so refreshing to experience something new. It looks like Guybrush and LeChuck will finally, finally have a genuine swordfight and I really hope it's more like in Tales where you solve puzzles during the fight or something new entirely. 

2 hours ago, Thrik said:

I posted this on Twitter, but thought it worth noting here how the final Guybrush design wasn’t so far off the early concept Rex sent to Ron in the end.

IG0wRDI.jpg

Yeah, this confused me as I swear Ron said they decided to go for a different design. 🤔

I admit i didn't like the original sketch. But i think the tweaks really fix the stuff i found distracting (long neck, eyes too far apart and the box shaped head) 

I really love the design now. 😁

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

Still a lot of negativity around on Facebook, etc. Yet when you run a poll you see it's a tiny vocal minority...

n27SGPY.png

The numbers are about the same as the ones we got on Twitter. Take into account that some of the negative votes come from randos showing us snowflakes what's what, and I'd say the vast majority is a-OK with what we've seen so far.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There are some articles popping up claiming MI seems to be the last one. I really wish they had taken into account everything that's been said before and how "conclusion" does not necessarily mean "last." I think it's just a conclusion to the story thus far, so if another follows, they can really start with a fresh landscape. One series can have multiple arcs and conclusions for each.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, demone said:

There are some articles popping up claiming MI seems to be the last one. I really wish they had taken into account everything that's been said before and how "conclusion" does not necessarily mean "last." I think it's just a conclusion to the story thus far, so if another follows, they can really start with a fresh landscape. One series can have multiple arcs and conclusions for each.

Well, i'm 40 years old in 35 minutes and if I've learned anything in all that time it's that if a developer says something ever about an upcoming game on the internet, then that thing will be interpreted and misinterpreted in every possible way before the day is out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

Well, i'm 40 years old in 35 minutes and if I've learned anything in all that time it's that if a developer says something ever about an upcoming game on the internet, then that thing will be interpreted and misinterpreted in every possible way before the day is out.

True and also clickbait. I mean I knew it was bull and I still clicked lol I guess I was looking to get pissed off. 

Edited by demone