Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

7 minutes ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

Exactly. The idea that the game isn't going to be released because of a negative vocal minority, when it's months away from completion, makes no sense at all. You may as well be concerned that Ron is going change the protagonist into Leisure Suit Larry, then quit the game industry by sprouting a pair of wings and flying to Mars, never to be seen again.

Worse than that though, I find that kind of speculation quite belittling and insulting towards him. 

Just to clarify, I wasn't intending to speculate on that, in fact my intention was to sqaush that for every reason you said. The last thing I would want to do is belittle Ron, he's a tough cookie I'm sure. For a brief moment I might've worried, but that was simply a projection of how cut up I've been feeling about the backlash and quickly realised there's no way he'd do it.

Edited by OzzieMonkey
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, OzzieMonkey said:

Just to clarify, I wasn't intending to speculate on that, in fact my intention was to sqaush that for every reason you said. The last thing I would want to do is belittle Ron, he's a tough cookie I'm sure. For a brief moment I might've worried, but that was simply a projection of how cut up I've been feeling about the backlash and quickly realised there's no way he'd do it.

Sorry, yes that wasn't directed at you. I had in mind comments I've seen on Facebook more than anything. 

• Like 1

I actually think that Ron himself is probably rather thick skinned about all this, despite being visibly annoyed.

My sense is that his concern is more for his team. And it's them and particularly Rex that I feel sorry for in all this. I have happened to meet Rex on a couple of occasions - quite accidentally, since we appear to have a few mutual friends.

On both occasions that I've met him he's really come across as very sweet and kind, which is maybe why some of the harsher criticism eats at me a bit. I don't know who people think Rex is, but he's just this very genuine, humble guy who is a true Monkey Island fan who has managed to land a dream project, and all I'd want for someone like that, (just the same as I felt when I found out that Jake was working on Tales) is that people would be encouraging and accepting of his efforts. And if they couldn't find it in themselves to do that, at least to believe that he was making said efforts in good faith, and that he's not here to ruin your favourite thing.

I can't imagine how I'd feel if I'd been handed a project like this, only for the headlines on gaming websites to be filled with stuff about how Ron's having an argument with fans over my art, instead of people just being excited that the months-ago-impossible game exists and maybe giving the people who worked on it the benefit of the doubt.

And I don't know exactly how I'd feel in Ron's shoes, having handed someone a project like this knowing that for them it's something they never thought that they'd get to work on in a million years. But I imagine I'd feel very protective of them, and hope that this would be a joyful project for them to be involved in, and not soured by years of nostalgia meeting reality.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, OzzieMonkey said:

It's great to see fans come out in droves to express their love. That's the thing right? They were always there, but people who like stuff don't feel the need to shout it from the rooftops, and are offen scared off by all the fierce negativity. 

I've seen some concern from people that the game could be cancelled because of this; I don't think so. Even if Ron was remotely thinking about it (again I don't think so, it's clear he's immensely proud of the work he and his team have done), this isn't simply his decision to make, he has Disney and Lucasfilm to answer to, and there's no way they would can a near-complete game they've sunk money into.

Oh, gads, no, that would never happen. This baby's coming and ain't nothing stopping it 😄

Now, if we're talking about any potential for Ron's future involvement or the likelihood of other things happening with Monkey Island after RMI... that's a completely different story, and that DOES concern me.

But I'd be a lot more worried if this game weren't so stinking good. I don't want to set myself up for disappointment, but I have a hunch the reaction is going to be magnificent to behold.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

It's sad but I'm going to go in with the mindset that this is Ron's last Lucasarts point and click style game. I was hoping this game might lead to his take on Maniac Mansion 3... but I don't blame him if he is done after the backlash...

Ah well... I'm just happy to see the master return with Thimbleweed Park and Return. 

Edited by Toymafia88
  • Like 1

I haven't read any comment section, Reddit boards, Twitter, anything! And I couldn't be happier about this: I loved the trailer, the art style, the music, Dom's voice-over, everything, I am still 100% psyched! Nothing and nobody has managed (or will manage) to put down my excitement!

I'm just waiting for the moment when I'll be in my pajamas, plausibly with an autumn breeze coming from my window, my earl grey tea, and the game up and running either on my PC or my Switch (or both? :D). Aaah :) 

Do yourselves a favour, if you can and if your job allows for that of course, suppress the FOMO and try not looking at Twitter/YouTube/anything :) Because at the end of the line, it's just not worth it to have our excitement artificially put down by an uneducated mass of people who think writing mean stuff on the internet has no consequence on the real world.

Edited by AndywinXp
  • Like 6

36 minutes ago, Vainamoinen said:

Love it, @Toymafia88!

Those sleeves though ... and that blonde, blonde hair. Return Guybrush seems a direct continuation of Tales and the Special Edition of LCR far more than of actual TSoMI and MI2:LCR.

He does have Curse hair though.

Just so you all know, its a very slow day at work 😂

Untitled13.png

@Vainamoinen yeah i feel like Return is similar to the special editions as they are trying to fill in the gaps of what those pixels in 1 and 2 would look like if made today.

What i love about Return's art is that although it isn't pixalated it still keeps some of that mystery from 1 and 2. It leaves you to use your imagination and feel in the gaps.

Edited by Toymafia88

In anticipation for the new game, and in celebration of the new trailer, I decided to use the assets to hand to Photoshop a ReMI poster that would line up alongside the other Monkey Island posters in last years' LimitedRun box set. (I simply cropped the ReMI key art to the appropriate size (25.5cm x 20.5cm) and pasted the logo onto the top of it.)

If you'd like to print one out for yourselves, see the image attached. :)

image.png

Edited by fentongames
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

And while I went that far, I thought there was no better time than now to display these posters, and the few other physical pieces of Monkey Island merch that I've acquired over the years, plus my physical editions of the games themselves, and display them in one location.

Introducing Monkey Corner!

(Overlooking the fact that I clearly need ink in my printer, I'm happy with the result nonetheless!)

image.png

image.png

Edited by fentongames
  • Like 3
  • Wow 2

6 minutes ago, fentongames said:

In anticipation for the new game, and in celebration of the new trailer, I decided to use the assets to hand to Photoshop a ReMI poster that would line up alongside the other Monkey Island posters in last years' LimitedRun box set. (I simply cropped the ReMI key art to the appropriate size (25.5cm x 20.5cm) and pasted the logo onto the top of it.)

If you'd like to print one out for yourselves, see the image attached. :)

image.png

Nice job, but may I make a few suggestions:

- The flying skull is hidden behind the S. Wouldn’t it be cooler if you could bring it upfront so it would look like it would fly through the S?

- Same with Elaine behind D.

Let her head  squeeze through the D 😀

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, fentongames said:

And while I went that far, I thought there was no better time than now to display these posters, and the few other physical pieces of Monkey Island merch that I've acquired over the years, plus my physical editions of the games themselves, and display them in one location.

Introducing Monkey Corner!

(Overlooking the fact that I clearly need ink in my printer, I'm happy with the result nonetheless!)

image.png

image.png

Were you on the fence with where the hell to put Return like i was?

It starts after 2 so it makes sense to put the poster after 2. But its the 6th game and could have content set after Tales...

Its not 3 and its not 6? What the heck is it 😂🤣 where does it go?

Edited by Toymafia88
  • Confused 1