Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

4 hours ago, Lagomorph01 said:

I just noticed that the shot of the skull flying out of the canon is not Murray. Maybe LeChuck is using the debris of his army from CMI as canon fodder now?

¿ɹǝɥʇoɯ ʎɯ noʎ ǝɹɐ ˙ǝɹɐqpɐǝɹɥʇ uıqqoq sı sıɥʇ

Edited by Vainamoinen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I really really need to put a damper on my enthusiasm until my platform is confirmed. But as this thread hasn't had a new post in two days (!!), here's some things that I don't expect from Return to Monkey Island, but would love to see. Maybe you have a few "I don't think they will, but I'd be over the moon" ideas of your own.

• Guybrush's diary / "quest log" in the main menu, scrap book style, chronicles his exploits in his own words.
  • Ghost pirate violinist lady voiced by Sarah Hamilton.
  • Finally, the return of the "Lookout" musical motif from The Secret of Monkey Island.

Edited by Vainamoinen
Ozzie's misunderstanding signalled the dire need for clarification
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Vainamoinen said:

I really really need to put a damper on my enthusiasm until my platform is confirmed. But as this thread hasn't had a new post in two days (!!), here's some things that I don't expect from Return to Monkey Island, but would love to see. Maybe you have a few "they'd never" ideas of your own.

• Guybrush's diary / "quest log" in the main menu, scrap book style, chronicles his exploits in his own words.
  • Ghost pirate violinist lady voiced by Sarah Hamilton.
  • Finally, the return of the "Lookout" musical motif from The Secret of Monkey Island.

I'm curious, what platform are you referring to that you hope they release it on? 

As for "they'd never" stuff? Hmm:

Make you choose whether or not you want the secret revealed and then people who decided not to have to forever avoid discussion of the game online.

Murray is a verb: not an inventory item, a verb. Whenever you want Guybrush to do something to an interactable he's morally opposed to, Murray it.  

Kill a major character permanently.

I doubt they’ll do this, but it looks like Brr-muda is some kind of frozen island, so I had the thought that maybe we’ll finally see the Ice Demon LeChuck that was the ending of Curse hinted at… not sure anyone is clamouring for that particular plot development, but 14-year old me thought it was an obvious direction for Monkey Island 4 🙃

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Aro-tron said:

I doubt they’ll do this, but it looks like Brr-muda is some kind of frozen island, so I had the thought that maybe we’ll finally see the Ice Demon LeChuck that was the ending of Curse hinted at… not sure anyone is clamouring for that particular plot development, but 14-year old me thought it was an obvious direction for Monkey Island 4 🙃

Snow LeChuck was one of the first theories that came up when we first saw a screenshot of the courtroom. It could still happen, we don't know how much of the game the latest trailer actually showed, it could mostly be from at least chapter 2 (I'm guessing chapter 1 is all the carnival which we've seen nothing of). LeChuck is definitely doing some demonic things with the fire coming out of his eyes so other forms besides zombie certainly aren't off the table.

10 hours ago, Thrik said:

For anyone who didn’t see it on Twitter or the newsletter, I compared all the returning locations over the last week.

Some great synergy with Remi providing supplementary Amiga shots and Jake creating the moment to bring them all together. 😀

dMbFGtc.jpg

https://twitter.com/i/events/1544313501044224000?s=21&t=Wi0U_Mm80uuFAEbUkTMY8A

Great work.

Rex often turns the perspective by just a few degrees and cranks up contrast, and he often arrives at scenes that appear a good deal more three-dimensional to me than some of the original TSoMI one point perspective "bullseye" setups. Of course the ReMI art team could leave no formerly straight line alone, things slope, lean, bend, dangle, and compress, and you can almost hear that woodwork creaking in some of the backgrounds. The former rich blue is no more, Rex likes his cyan and tinges of green, but then again, these deep blues were kind of a catch-all default color on Melee Island anyway.

As to mere subjective, personal taste, I don't care that much for the new Scumm bar or the governor's mansion interior, but the lookout, the prison and the giant monkey head I find even better than the original. There, I said it.

The ReMI backgrounds always contain pretty much exactly what was in their 'original' counterparts. But there's always a twist and a twirl that seems to playfully pull away nostalgic recognition just out of reach.

I hope that Monkey Island fans will eventually universally be able to find that nostalgia grappling hook in the inventory of their own minds, and draw themselves, by their own strength, back into childhood memory at first, and later, into the grand new adventure of their lives.

Edited by Vainamoinen
  • Like 5

The new Scumm Bar has very different tone for sure. I always thought of it as warm and jovial place, in stark contrast to very blue and very empty dock, with upbeat music and pirates drinking and having fun. The new one appears to be a dark and brooding place. If it that art was used as a drop-in replacement in the first game it wouldn't work for me at all. It could be perfectly fine in the context of the new game.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jayel said:

If it that art was used as a drop-in replacement in the first game it wouldn't work for me at all. It could be perfectly fine in the context of the new game.

The game description -- PR-y as it is -- definitely makes it sounds like things on Melee has changed for the worse. So that the SCUMM Bar looks more dreary may make sense. (Particularly when you take some of the many other colorful locations into consideration.)

Random question to everyone. How would you like the game to tackle the whole "brothers" twist from LeChuck's Revenge. Do you prefer them to actually be brothers or not?

For me, I would prefer if that twist was indeed legitimate and not just a Star Wars' ripoff. I posted last month that, despite it being an obvious play on Star Wars, it still felt earned because of the personal nature of that game. I just don't want it to be brushed aside but something that truly changes the dynamic between Guybrush and LeChuck and runs through the entire course of the game.

I also think it opens the door to finally explore some backstory for both characters. I would love to find out how Guybrush ended up on Melee what happened to make LeChuck become so evil. Though I would stress I don't what something that romanticizes LeChuck's actions or makes him sympathetic. I still want to always see him as a villain, but there's obviously a lot more going on based off LeChuck's Revenge.  

I also love how this twist has never ever been alluded to in any of the successive sequels. I always found that to be extremely respectful of all the game developers working on those games to not directly address this twist. 

Edited by demone
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, demone said:

Random question to everyone. How would you like the game to tackle the whole "brothers" twist from LeChuck's Revenge. Do you prefer them to actually be brothers or not?

For me, I would prefer if that twist was indeed legitimate and not just a Star Wars' ripoff. I posted last month that, despite it being and obvious play on Star Wars, it still felt earned because of the personal nature of that game. I just don't want it to be brushed aside but something that truly changes the dynamic between Guybrush and LeChuck and runs through the entire course of the game.

I think it also opens to the door to finally explore some backstory for both characters. I would love to find out how Guybrush ended up on Melee what happened to make LeChuck become so evil. Though I would stress I don't what something that romanticizes LeChuck's actions or makes him sympathetic. I still want to always see him as a villain, but there's obviously a lot more going on based off LeChuck's Revenge.  

I also love how this twist has never ever been alluded to in any of the successive sequels. I always found that to be extremely respective of all the game developers to not directly address this twist. 

The brother thing is interesting, because back in the days of IRC chat on the SCUMM bar website, Ron implied that there was more to it than them just being straight up blood relatives. He said " In one sense, yes they are brothers, in another way, they are not." This could mean anything, really. Step-brothers is a popular theory, or they're part of a brotherhood of some kind but not family. It could also just mean they are connected by destiny somehow, LeChuck does say "we are bound to one another". Of course, the ending suggests it's completely literal, but that whole thing could still be an elaborate ruse to distract Guybrush. Man...it really is such a huge deal that this game will start right there in the amusement park and address what on earth was happening. I mean, if Curse is still canon that broader explanation that it's a spell will probably stick, but then it's Ron Gilbert, he's a twisty turny writer. Who knows what's really going on! 

Ok..we've theorised enough, Ron. You can release the game now :p 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, OzzieMonkey said:

The brother thing is interesting, because back in the days of IRC chat on the SCUMM bar website, Ron implied that there was more to it than them just being straight up blood relatives. He said " In one sense, yes they are brothers, in another way, they are not." This could mean anything, really. Step-brothers is a popular theory, or they're part of a brotherhood of some kind but not family. It could also just mean they are connected by destiny somehow, LeChuck does say "we are bound to one another". Of course, the ending suggests it's completely literal, but that whole thing could still be an elaborate ruse to distract Guybrush. Man...it really is such a huge deal that this game will start right there in the amusement park and address what on earth was happening. I mean, if Curse is still canon that broader explanation that it's a spell will probably stick, but then it's Ron Gilbert, he's a twisty turny writer. Who knows what's really going on! 

Ok..we've theorised enough, Ron. You can release the game now :p 

Yeah, I actually remember that chat years ago. The fact that Ron has said for years that Curse fits in nicely with his vision makes me think the whole "spell" mythology was somewhat close to what was actually going on (that Elaine mid-credits scene in LeChuck's Revenge had to have been put there for a reason, right?), but there is still tons to be unpacked. 

The carnival, the brothers, the Secret; I need this game now.

Edited by demone
  • Like 1

Sorry for the double-post, but on the idea of them being step-brothers. LeChuck does say in his fortress (if the option for "where do babies come from?" is available) he says that Guybrush came from an orphanage. Aside from being just an extremely messed up thing to say lol, there may be a lot going on there. 

It could mean they are step-brothers (Guybrush was adopted and became the favorite while LeChuck turned to voodoo) or they both became orphans at some point (actually blood-brothers, but lost their parents). The parents were somewhat a focal point in that game too and supposedly showed up dead at the end. The end to that game really was just one WTF moment after another.

Edited by demone
  • Like 2

I just noticed that LeChuck still wears that hat with the dead crow on it. Considering the game takes place a good amount of years after LR, the bird is in a relatively good shape. Or maybe it‘s a fake bird. A rubber crow with a hat in the middle?!

Anyway, I‘m glad the crow (which maybe was a throw-away-gag by Steve Purcell in the box art?) is back, and I hope we can ask LeChuck about it in ReMI. If the game still „ignores“ it I‘m happy too though. It‘s a unique, weird and fun design choice.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Marius said:

I just noticed that LeChuck still wears that hat with the dead crow on it. Considering the game takes place a good amount of years after LR, the bird is in a relatively good shape. Or maybe it‘s a fake bird. A rubber crow with a hat in the middle?!

Anyway, I‘m glad the crow (which maybe was a throw-away-gag by Steve Purcell in the box art?) is back, and I hope we can ask LeChuck about it in ReMI. If the game still „ignores“ it I‘m happy too though. It‘s a unique, weird and fun design choice.

Plot twist: The crow is the only thing alive on Uncle Chuck's entire ship and she was just napping all the time.

I can see it all now. The entire game is about stuffing animals into our inventory for Elaine's conservatory efforts. Guybrush is happily travelling all the islands to collect diverse birds, bunnies, owls, chicks, squirrels, fish, dogs (especially poodles), vichyssoise flavored rats, and so on. Evidently, the only reason for Guybrush to sneak on LeChuck's ship is to nick the crow from his hat. We will have to convince the zombie chef to feed the crew all sorts of things rich in iron, and then, using our giant sized magnet ...

... oh god what am I doing with my Sunday ...

Edited by Vainamoinen
  • Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Vainamoinen said:

Plot twist: The crow is the only thing alive on Uncle Chuck's entire ship and she was just napping all the time.

I can see it all now. The entire game is about stuffing animals into our inventory for Elaine's conservatory efforts. Guybrush is happily travelling all the islands to collect diverse birds, bunnies, owls, chicks, squirrels, fish, dogs (especially poodles), vichyssoise flavored rats, and so on. Evidently, the only reason for Guybrush to sneak on LeChuck's ship is to nick the crow from his hat. We will have to convince the zombie chef to feed the crew all sorts of things rich in iron, and then, using our giant sized magnet ...

See what you're doing to our forum members Ron/Disney/Lucasfilm? We're all slowly losing out minds! Please release the game before our brains are too mushy to solve the puzzles! 

...I'm excited 😜

1 hour ago, Vainamoinen said:

Omg, why does this make so much sense?? Ron Gilbert just got very nervous because we figured everything out before the actual release!

I never noticed the crow in monkey2! I thought this came from the movie concept art. I just checked the gameplay and the artworks, it's really easy to miss (just the special edition box at makes it really clear, it looks more like a feather duster in the originals) and I'm so happy to have learned something new! 

Btw everyone mentioned that the swordfighting scene in the trailer between Guybrush and Lechuck was inspired by the movie concept art, but I've looked at all the pictures and couldn't find any that fit. Can someone help me out here?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, neoncolor8 said:

Btw everyone mentioned that the swordfighting scene in the trailer between Guybrush and Lechuck was inspired by the movie concept art, but I've looked at all the pictures and couldn't find any that fit. Can someone help me out here?

I think they're reffering to this:
Untitled.png

At least that's the closest thing I can find that includes Guybrush and LeChuck on the plank of a ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1