Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

4 hours ago, OzzieMonkey said:

I think they're reffering to this:
Untitled.png

At least that's the closest thing I can find that includes Guybrush and LeChuck on the plank of a ship.

That's fan art though.

Here's a similar pic from the storyboards for the movie:

N4Jn5Cp.png

Check out The Scumm Bar for more movie art.

Edited by Radogol
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, demone said:

Random question to everyone. How would you like the game to tackle the whole "brothers" twist from LeChuck's Revenge. Do you prefer them to actually be brothers or not?

I've always assumed that since the bones of Guybrush's parents work with the LeChuck voodoo doll, that proves that they are indeed brothers. (Plus the ending in Big Whoop itself, of course, provided it is all true and not a complete illusion from LeChuckie!) However, the only thing really that makes me cast doubt into that is that CMI - Tales never refers to it at all. And you'd think that would be something one of them would bring up once in a while! (i.e. LeChuck dies for the umpteenth time and Guybrush is like "Til the next time... brother...")  As much as I doubt that ReMI is going to tie up every question with a bow, this is an element that I think having more clarity on would be welcomed.

On a seperate note, I actually never even realised that LeChuck had a crow in his hat in MI2 until the SE. I could never tell in the pixel art! Now that I know it's there, though. So cool!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fentongames said:

On a seperate note, I actually never even realised that LeChuck had a crow in his hat in MI2 until the SE. I could never tell in the pixel art! Now that I know it's there, though. So cool!

What Jake said. Its portrayal on the box is ... gruesome and quite detailed.

H01FPFx.png

20 minutes ago, Laserschwert said:

A great hour-long interview with @Dmnkly, over at Laura Cress' Twitch channel:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1527971822?t=63m55s

Poor Dom, dying to talk more about RtMI 😄

It's so good! Once again, Dom continues to be a gem of a human being and yeah, it must be incredibly frustrating not to be able to share the juicy details, but I'm sure we'll all talk about it once it's out. I love the story about how Ron told him he was making a new one, I wouldn't have believed it either...I didn't on April 1st. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vainamoinen said:

In today's tweet, Devolver draws our attention to a teensy detail in the background of the New Pirate Leaders' hideout:

lD8EXIH.png

I might never have recognized that. 🙈

Another interesting detail I noticed today was that the table where the new pirate leaders are sat has another one of those voodoo symbols around it. Perhaps a protective enchantment? For what, that is the question. It seems that at least Guybrush can cross it, though maybe there's an early puzzle that involves making him invincible to its effects...unless of course it's only to ward off LeChuck or ghost pirates.

Edited by OzzieMonkey
  • Like 1

Yeah... the music. My beating heart. I for one hear a real flute, but my ear isn't necessarily trained enough. 🥰

Both Devolver tweets today drive the point home that Return to Monkey Island is targeted at an adult audience.

And I'm all here for it.

• Like 2

Feels to me that based on that title card that by the time we get to part 1, we're already going to be past the carnival and into the main story. So excited to finally find out how that'll work.

Love the look of the title screen, and love that the tune is evocative of the previous chapter screens while not identical, and also seeming to quote the MI1 'Journey' music.

Not sure if the flute is real or not. Legato instruments are really fancy nowadays at being able to reproduce performance details. It's still true that live instruments are preferable I think, but less and less true every year that imitations can't be convincing and musical in their own right, in my opinion...----

(Also - aside, I don't think it's intentional by anyone, but I do think there's a hint of accidental elitism in the idea that live is the only good and pure way to do it - not everyone writing music for things has ready access to a bank of performers, or the means to pay them (like... well, me), but I still think we should be given a chance!)

---... and here I can imagine for such a small musical moment, they might have opted not to record something.

• Like 1

I can already tell I'm going to want this soundtrack. What's the betting it will be a DLC?

Just to put things into perspective, this will be the first Land/McConnell/Bajakian original Monkey Island soundtrack since Escape. I can already tell that it's going to be of the same quality of Curse and Escape's soundtracks.

And yeah, Devolver's earlier tweet combined with this makes me think that the release date is at the very least within a few months!

Should really start thinking about that series playthrough if that's the case...

My musical brain is already tickling, this is some fricking good stuff! The production level seems to be on par with Curse (well, at least for these 12 seconds), which is only good news 🙂 take this with a grain of salt, but (judging by ear) the wind instruments seem to come from SWAM virtual instruments, which I have used many times and are so good

And I agree with @KestrelPi, not-live/synthesized does not equal a bad soundtrack: want to know how many synth instruments Curse has versus live ones? You'd be surprised 🙂 It probably comes down to choosing the right instruments to be performed live (notably percussive, exotic and band instruments), choosing some very convincing samples (and as a musician I can say that in 2022 we're basically overloaded with those) and having the right producer working on it and mixing the final product.

Unfortunately, IMHO Tales lacked in all these three departments, but Return already seems to excel at each one of these!

Edited by AndywinXp
  • Like 2

Its good to see the joy of sharing hasn't been completely driven from Ron.

Its a great title card illustration, too. Like any good cover illustration, its very enticing, and sparks the imagination.

It seems the eccentricities of Rex Crowle's art style are subdued in a sepia still-life piece. Although its still clearly a piece made under his direction. But hopefully, it won't draw in much art style hate. Honestly, I hope everyone's got that out of their system for now.

I'm bad at describing music. I like it and think its a good variation on the title card jingle.

Edited by Guybrush Transmasc
*they're
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, AndywinXp said:

My musical brain is already tickling, this is some fricking good stuff! The production level seems to be on par with Curse (well, at least for these 12 seconds), which is only good news 🙂 take this with a grain of salt, but (judging by ear) the wind instruments seem to come from SWAM virtual instruments, which I have used many times and are so good

And I agree with @KestrelPi, not-live/synthesized does not equal a bad soundtrack: want to know how many synth instruments Curse has versus live ones? You'd be surprised 🙂 It probably comes down to choosing the right instruments to be performed live (notably percussive, exotic and band instruments), choosing some very convincing samples (and as a musician I can say that in 2022 we're basically overloaded with those) and having the right producer working on it and mixing the final product.

Unfortunately, IMHO Tales lacked in all these three departments, but Return already seems to excel at each one of these!

Yeah, I love the SWAM stuff! It's like MT32's technology but with all the advantages of modern processing power. I used a SWAM clarinet on this piece.

• Chef's Kiss 1

17 minutes ago, AndywinXp said:

Want to know how many synth instruments Curse has versus live ones? 

Yes! 🙂

No, really. Id love to know, as I’d always wondered (maybe in another thread). To me it all sounds live (but I don’t have a very good ear for such things, so…).

Didn’t Ron mentioned somewhere 100 % live instruments? Or can this mean a mix too?

As for me, I don’t care at all, if real instruments or synth, as long as it sounds good! And this title card definitely sounds good. 🥰

1 minute ago, BillyCheers said:

Didn’t Ron mentioned somewhere 100 % live instruments? Or can this mean a mix too?

As for me, I don’t care at all, if real instruments or synth, as long as it sounds good! And this title card definitely sounds good. 🥰

No, I've heard this in a couple of places, but he just said 'live' which I would intepret to mean they used as many live instruments as was practical to do.

49 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

No, I've heard this in a couple of places, but he just said 'live' which I would intepret to mean they used as many live instruments as was practical to do.

That’s my understanding as well.