Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

It's okay, Stan. I still love your technically-still-first theme song.

And I look forward to maybe someday having another dialogue puzzle against you related to a major purchase, preferably with different possible price outcomes.

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by BaronGrackle
No pieces of eight, you crazy old Stan!
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

Was it during Mixnmojo's exclusive interview with Ian McCaig? :)

https://mixnmojo.com/features/sitefeatures/Revealed-Iain-McCaig-the-man-behind-the-Monkey-Island-VGA-portraits

I think McCaig himself was probably partially the model for Guybrush.

Mind blown - 🤯 - thank you! That completes the picture!

I've been following McCaig's blog back in 2010 when he was posting a bit of art instruction. Unfortunately his blog is dead now, but man he's so great. I visited his short and sweet artstation account just now, and although he switched to digital in the meantime, I still think he wields the stylus like paintbrush. Occasionally a traditionally painted piece steals the show. His watercolors especially because those leave no room for mistakes.

A whole lot of artists study themselves in the mirror for facial expressions, so a partial likeness is something that does occasionally happen as a happy accident.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm curious...how old school is everyone planning to go with using the hintsystem, looking up hints online, etc? Personally, I want to try and figure out as much of the game myself as possible, because I always vowed with each new MI to do that as I very quickly used walkthroughs for the first 4 games (heresy, I know). I'm not against using whatever the hint system is so long as it isn't blatantly giving the solution away (I don't think I have to worry about that though, Ron's better than that) or posting in the inevitable hints forum...there's gonna be a hints forum right? And a spoiler talk one seperate from that? I'd hate to accidentally find out the Secret while I'm looking for hints. 

34 minutes ago, OzzieMonkey said:

I'm curious...how old school is everyone planning to go with using the hintsystem, looking up hints online, etc? Personally, I want to try and figure out as much of the game myself as possible, because I always vowed with each new MI to do that as I very quickly used walkthroughs for the first 4 games (heresy, I know). I'm not against using whatever the hint system is so long as it isn't blatantly giving the solution away (I don't think I have to worry about that though, Ron's better than that) or posting in the inevitable hints forum...there's gonna be a hints forum right? And a spoiler talk one seperate from that? I'd hate to accidentally find out the Secret while I'm looking for hints. 

I'll probably do similar to what I did when I played Tales and Thimbleweed this time, which is that, first of all, I turned the hint system way down to the bottom, and then looked up a guide or used the system only when I felt I wasn't having fun anymore.

I never really regretted looking up the hints when I did, it was either something I don't think I would have thought of for a long time, or something really silly like I didn't realise that I was supposed to return to a particular location because something had changed.

I played through MI1 with a hint book first time, and for MI2 I chose Lite mode first time... it was a bit later before I developed a desire to try to play the game without help, but it doesn't seem to have harmed my love for the games, so I guess where I am with it all now is sort of ... chilled out. I won't play with a walkthrough or something, but if I want a hint I'll get one.

I suppose theres something nice in that you can only play the game for the first time once and there's accomplishment in knowing you worked it all out on your own, but hmm... if that involves me wandering aimlessly and using everything with everything else until I hit upon the right solution, maybe I'll like the game better if I just get a hint when I'm truly stuck.

Edited by KestrelPi
  • Like 1

I'm also going to try to play the game without any hints as much as possible. To not do so I think takes away the main appeal of adventure puzzle games. I can't remember the last time I played a true adventure game with puzzles, so I'm curious how well I fare now that I'm much older and, hopefully, a bit more intelligent. 

What would typically happen to me in Curse is that I would know exactly how to solve a bunch of puzzles in a chain, but needed an item. The puzzle to get the item was what stumped me. Getting the scissors from the barbershop would be an example. I knew I needed them to cut through the jungle and needed to raise the chair to get them. I just didn't know how until I finally realized the lice work on the comb. 

Often times, I got stumped on the simplest solutions. Knowing I needed to nail down the murphy bed to get the book to fool Griswold, but didn't realize I could simply pick up the coffin nails. Curse I did beat without any hints though and I think that was the only one I did so. It was the first MI game I played at the age of nine. It was hard, but immensely satisfying. I would love to recreate that feeling for Return and come full circle. 

Edited by demone
  • Like 1

I'm going to hold out for as long as possible, simply because getting a new MI game is so rare. You only get one chance to play through a MI for the first time, so I want my first time to be filled with as many "aha!" and surprise moments as possible.

That said, omce I hit peak frustration then it will be the in-game hint system. The one in Thimbleweed Park was perfect because it gave clues before revealing a solution. (I can't think of any reason to use an external guide or forum when the game includes a hint system!)

I'm going to take a wild guess here and say... tomorrows' Monkey Island Monday will be the announcement that pre-orders have gone live...

And yes, I ashamedly walkthroughed my way through MI1-4 (simultaneously as well, which was interesting!) and I got the occasional hint with Tales. For this game, however, particularly since there's some degree of a hint system included, I want to keep the experience of solving the puzzles 100% in-game. If only to rectify that mistake of how I beat the first four games almost 20 years ago!

2 hours ago, Staple Remover said:

Someone tell me I’m reading too hard into this, but I’m suspecting a big drop on Monday.

6DC6B30D-4D0F-4E11-B883-954A78C8A149.jpeg

Precious few reply with the correct answer.

But the people who understood "What video games do you want [us to make] real hard [difficult]?" sure are hilarious. ;)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Staple Remover said:

Someone tell me I’m reading too hard into this, but I’m suspecting a big drop on Monday.

6DC6B30D-4D0F-4E11-B883-954A78C8A149.jpeg

Why not just drop the game? 👀

11 hours ago, OzzieMonkey said:

I'm curious...how old school is everyone planning to go with using the hintsystem, looking up hints online, etc?

As soon as the games comes out I will cut internet from my life until I finish it. I have always played Monkey Island. Didn't have internet at home for the first 4 and for Tales I was already of the mindset that point and click games to me are all about that feeling of "I don't know what I'm doing, why am I so dumb?" followed by "YES! I am the smartest man alive and I will never get stuck again" in loop. I may use the hint system in a moment of weakness, but intend not to use it 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, KestrelPi said:

I'll probably do similar to what I did when I played Tales and Thimbleweed this time, which is that, first of all, I turned the hint system way down to the bottom, and then looked up a guide or used the system only when I felt I wasn't having fun anymore.

I never really regretted looking up the hints when I did, it was either something I don't think I would have thought of for a long time, or something really silly like I didn't realise that I was supposed to return to a particular location because something had changed.

I played through MI1 with a hint book first time, and for MI2 I chose Lite mode first time... it was a bit later before I developed a desire to try to play the game without help, but it doesn't seem to have harmed my love for the games, so I guess where I am with it all now is sort of ... chilled out. I won't play with a walkthrough or something, but if I want a hint I'll get one.

I suppose theres something nice in that you can only play the game for the first time once and there's accomplishment in knowing you worked it all out on your own, but hmm... if that involves me wandering aimlessly and using everything with everything else until I hit upon the right solution, maybe I'll like the game better if I just get a hint when I'm truly stuck.

Yeah I think that pretty much aligns with where I'm at, you don't want to stop having fun with the game if you're that stuck, I think at that point looking up hints is fair game. I just have to resist the temptation to look things up the second I get stuck. One good thing about playing immediately upon release is that there's less out there because everyone's playing it at the same time. 

I think the most we're likely to get tomorrow is a release date or platform announcement or something like that. But if I had to put money on it I'd say it's just gonna be a regular MI Monday - another 10-30 second clip of something. Maybe a returning character, or something. Maybe a LeChuck voice reveal, at most. What I'd like to see: some behind the scenes footage of soundtrack recording.

It won't be the release since doing 3 of these then just flat out dropping the game would be very weird.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

One hour until the next drop.

Increasingly I think it's going to just be a normal thing, and we'll hear more later in the month, after Devolver's next release (happening on the 11th) is out the way

Your most likely right but I hope your wrong lol.