Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

20 hours ago, BillyCheers said:

Earl Born would have been great on one hand. But in the end … I’m not completely sure it would have been the perfect match for this LeChuck. I really love the look this time and can very well imagine a much more frightening voice this time.

Boen’s always had much energy, it was very theatrical, almost campy (in a good way!). And although I could listen to him talk forever, I always thought he was a bit too clean, too “normal” for the MI2 LeChuck. So I think this could be the chance to give him a really horrifying voice. I think I’d prefer that to a simple Boen imitation… but we’ll see.

Yeah, Earl Boen worked very well for the cartoon villain of CMI onwards, and I even grew to appreciate that idea of LeChuck for what it is, but I do agree that perhaps we want something more weary and broken, and unstable here, just going by visuals.

Dominic mentioned this game having some really deep currents. Maybe one of the themes of the game is that both Guybrush and LeChuck are trying to find their place in the world. If they are indeed brothers, something must've happened that forced them to go on similar paths, albeit with very different outcomes. LeChuck looks angry and a little broken in the trailer; at his wit's end that he still doesn't have what he wants after so many years. Guybrush is mentioned as being in a similar situation and drifting along. I wonder what LeChuck's conclusion in particular will be in this game. I think it's gone beyond him simply being defeated now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, demone said:

Dominic mentioned this game having some really deep currents. Maybe one of the themes of the game is that both Guybrush and LeChuck are trying to find their place in the world. If they are indeed brothers, something must've happened that forced them to go on similar paths, albeit with very different outcomes. LeChuck looks angry and a little broken in the trailer; at his wit's end that he still doesn't have what he wants after so many years. Guybrush is mentioned as being in a similar situation and drifting along. I wonder what LeChuck's conclusion in particular will be in this game. I think it's gone beyond him simply being defeated now. 

And beyond LeChuck just being an evil dude. He might not even be the main villain of this one. Heck, there might not even be a main villain. The website notably does not suggest that we'll be working within the old "LeChuck has new evil plan, Guybrush thwarts evil plan, end of game" paradigm again. Breaking that paradigm might be the decisive step towards a game with "deep currents" – in which the central emotional core of the narrative works, in which the protagonist is humanized through his struggles instead of being a mere projection figure.

Or it could just be another Weltraumliebewachzauberkrieg. 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Vainamoinen said:

And beyond LeChuck just being an evil dude. He might not even be the main villain of this one. Heck, there might not even be a main villain. The website notably does not suggest that we'll be working within the old "LeChuck has new evil plan, Guybrush thwarts evil plan, end of game" paradigm again. Breaking that paradigm might be the decisive step towards a game with "deep currents" – in which the central emotional core of the narrative works, in which the protagonist is humanized through his struggles instead of being a mere projection figure.

Or it could just be another Weltraumliebewachzauberkrieg. 👽

Thought you could sneak that Devil's Playhouse reference past us, did ya? :p 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sebastian.Zissou said:

It's surely nonsense, but it just occurred to me: what if LeChuck IS Guybrush... from the future? 🤔

jackiechan-400x305.jpeg

I love crazy theories like this and I wouldn't put it past Ron.

Ron mentioned he once had an idea for Guybrush set a 1000 years in the future. So i don't think time travel is out of the question.

16 minutes ago, Toymafia88 said:

jackiechan-400x305.jpeg

I love crazy theories like this and I wouldn't put it past Ron.

Ron mentioned he once had an idea for Guybrush set a 1000 years in the future. So i don't think time travel is out of the question.

The Grog machine is a time machine, calling it now.

• Chef's Kiss 1

3 hours ago, Toymafia88 said:

2 hours ago, OzzieMonkey said:

The Grog machine is a time machine, calling it now.

What if that's actually what he had in mind? Could it be that that weird Star Trek tweet and that "how does Guybrush gets from the docks to the lookout were actually a hint to a time-traveler Guybrush and that all those anachronisms in the games are all an anomaly in the space-time continuum caused by said time travel??????????

Or maybe I'm just delusional, don't mind me...

54 minutes ago, Toymafia88 said:

Going to really try my absolute hardest not to get overhyped this time... but who am i kidding?

This time, Ron (not Dave) is going to show off a short scene with Elaine in an environment with an unsurpassed plethora of extremely cute critters in it. The scene will be on Monkey Island™, but they're not telling us of course. There will be a bit of new music in it, but Elaine will mostly talk over it, so the new motif can't grab hold of your brain. Guybrush and Elaine are caught in some kind of battle of wits, we don't quite know the exact context, but it seems like Elaine is winning again. They're not showing the UI, but they're using scenes from the Mac version again so there will be an extra black mouse pointer present. 

There, you can de-hype for now. 😇

• Chef's Kiss 1

The next MIM tweet will be posted eighteen minutes after get home. I will have logged into the mixnmojo forum and have my answer form open so that I would most definitely be the first one to see and post the new tweet, but then I'll be terror eff fiving the wrong twitter account or get distracted by other shiny pirate things and will only be able to react three minutes after one of you guys post it first.