Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

18 minutes ago, Rum Rogers said:

So the greatest thing is it's going to begin immediately where MI2 left off, as officially stated by Devolver Digital. Can this get any better?!

Oh look, a reason to play MI 1 and 2 again!  I was very late to the party for these games, but the story is one of my all time favorites.  Excited to see how they follow up MI2.  

• Like 1

Man, this is so awesome! How do I back this? How do I get a physical copy? Is Steve Purcell doing the box art? Is Earl Boen back as LeChuck? How do Curse, Tales and sure, Escape too, fit into this? Dominic back as Guybrush, love it, he must be in heaven getting to work with the original creator on this! Danny Delk as Murray, amazing! He was one of the best things about Curse!

AAAAAHHH!! Cannot stop hyping!!!

So... apparently Devolver says it takes place right after MI2. And Ron says it doesn't negate CMI.

Conclusion: It shows us exactly what led to Guybrush floating on the dodgem car at the beginning of CMI, allowing Gilbert to actually make MI3 after all :) (And also not negating what came after for any fans who enjoyed those games.)

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

10 minutes ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

So... apparently Devolver says it takes place right after MI2 (that's what someone posted on a forum, can't find the original source).

I specifically chose the Devolver tweet to post up top as it includes that bit of information!

^^ "MI3 doesn't go out of canon.  We were very careful about that.  Murray is in this game."

I'm intrigued as to exactly what this means. Is he really squeezing it in between the end of 2 and the start of 3, or doing a bit there and then a bit after 3 (seeing as Murray presumably only got decapitated at the start of 3 when Guybrush cannons the boats and Murray floats along straight after along with other skeletal flotsam)? Seems far more sensible to go with his years-old plan of branching off his own continuity but nicking good bits from the other games, and I wonder if that's what he actually means here.

Edited by TimeGentleman

Time will tell, but I don't see how they can be careful to keep CMI canon AND set it after MI2 (unless he goes down the multiverse route, I guess?). Or he does something insane and meta and the game ends in the real world with someone playing CMI.

Either way, this is a great find from Utwarrior: 

Yes, he's talking about the man he hired to do the visuals for Return to MI, Rex Crowle, back in 2009. Here's his take on Guybrush... a preview of what's to come?

https://hairyteeth.blogspot.com/2009/07/guybrush-threepwood.html

Edited by ThunderPeel2001
  • Like 1

• Remi pinned and featured this topic

Excited this seems to take place on Meleé Island, judging by the website. That was always my favorite location. I just hope it feels cluttered with houses and buildings, and not as wide and spacey as it felt in MI4

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Romão said:

Excited this seems to take place on Meleé Island, judging by the website. That was always my favorite location. I just hope it feels cluttered with houses and buildings, and not as wide and spacey as it felt in MI4

That website screenshot suggests it's gonna be pretty accurate!