Home

The Memoirs of Guybrush Threepwood: The Monkey Island Years (SMI Abridged)

Glokidd

Hi all!

So for the last few days I've been working on a video project I've been wanting to do for a while and I have a first chapter up as a preview to test the waters

As the title implies it's a Monkey Island abridged series using the official Memoirs from the Hintbook as the narration. Chapter 1 is only about 3 minutes long so it's a quick watch.

I'm sharing it in a few fanspaces first to get an idea of how it is being received by who I made it for: fans like us 😀

Check it out Here if you have 3ish minutes to spare 

:guyofwar:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I liked the intro, jumping between important scenes like LeChuck's ship disappearing. I ended up really liking the use of zoomed in focus on the important parts of the memoirs. I think if I had done this, that wouldn't have crossed my mind. I like it. :)

2 hours ago, Scummbuddy said:

I liked the intro, jumping between important scenes like LeChuck's ship disappearing. I ended up really liking the use of zoomed in focus on the important parts of the memoirs. I think if I had done this, that wouldn't have crossed my mind. I like it. :)

Thanks 😀 the response has been very positive so I'm definitely going to continue these 😀 The zooms were a tricky part especially as I was figuring out a lot of this as I go. Thank you for watching and the great feedback 😀

1 hour ago, vandands said:

I once had this very same idea, those memoirs are one of my favorite aspects of the lore of MI. Great job, I loved that your kid even left you a comment 😍

I had tried to do this before as well and what killed it for me back then was the way the scumm bar scrolls: it doesn't really start until you reach the curtain  wich causes some visible jitter while trying to avoid black bars on the sides that make it disorienting, thankfully I was able to reduce the effect with zooming out a bit and re-tracking to accommodate a larger scene but it still have a little stutter when the scroll between the two sides happen.

Thank you and thanks for watching 😀

Also Damien (my son who commented) is awesome and a big monkey island fan as well, im sure he will find his way here someday but hopefully when he is a little older than 8 😀 lol

This is awesome! You're extremely talented!

I've noticed that the sun is visible on Melee Island in your paythrough, this is intriguing to me! I thought that all versions of SOMI took place at night? Are you using an official version of the game?

6 minutes ago, Goury1 said:

I've noticed that the sun is visible on Melee Island in your paythrough, this is intriguing to me! I thought that all versions of SOMI took place at night? Are you using an official version of the game?

The 16 colour versions have a sunset at the Melee docks. It’s quite a sight of EGA beauty!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Goury1 said:

Thank you for the kind words 😀 the positive response has gotten me very excited to continue the series, I have been rehearsing narration all morning 😀

Also as Lagomorph01 says above (and below hehe)

23 minutes ago, Lagomorph01 said:

The 16 colour versions have a sunset at the Melee docks. It’s quite a sight of EGA beauty!

Yes it is an official version 😀 The 16 color EGA was the original first release and the one I played as a child when it came out. I say it regularly but the EGA sunset on the Melée docks is my happy place and even there it is fleeting as eventually it dissappears to the night sky for the rest of the game.

Fun fact, there have been at least 3 remakes of SMI: first revision was the VGA update with upgraded backgrounds and redrawn closeups by Ian McCaig that used the same text based inventory and verbs as the EGA original. Then the Next was the CD-rom update to the VGA version adding Redbook audio and a new icon based verb and inventory bar like the one used in MI2. The CD version is the one used in the classic mode of SMI: Special Edition.

It's worth noting there that even SMI had itself 3 different art styles in its various presentations over the years

• Like 1

Hi all

Chapter 2: In Which I Briefly Explore Town And Discover An Unusual Chicken is now up 😀 

These have been a lot of fun to make so seeing the positive response to the first has been really cool 😀

Plus it gives me a chance to sit around working on Monkey Island stuff all day 😀 Maybe one day I'll figure out a way to actually work on a Monkey Island but until then working on MI content will have to suffice 😀

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody!

Despite having my editing software break horribly I manage to finally finish:

Chapter 3: In which I Make the Acquaintance of the Fettucini Brothers, get Shot Out of a Cannon and Go on a Shopping Spree

...after about a week of troubleshooting and almost giving up and moving to new, much more costly software.

This is a short quick watch and I might put the first 3 chapter into their own video in the future. The next chapter will be the longest yet at it basically covers the swordfighting trial completely.

Even with these issues these have been super fun to make so I hope you enjoy 😀 I'm determined to continue the series despite any setbacks that have or may occur

2022-05-05_11-28-38.jpg

and of course after I promote this pretty much everywhere I realize I have the image saying chapter 2 instead of 3 *derp* lol

Fixed now on youtube at least 

Thanks to those who have watched 😀