Home

Return to Monkey Island fan art, music, etc!

Thrik

It has been validly pointed out that having just one absolutely humongous thread for Return to Monkey Island discussion is perhaps getting a bit much.

For now, we’re going to encourage breaking it out into other threads of discussion, as there’s certainly enough to talk about to fill a hundred threads.

This one is for fan work! Post your or anybody else’s lovely art, music, fiction, games, and anything else created in celebration of Return to Monkey Island.

(Ideally we keep this to ReMI-related stuff otherwise we’ll just be posting decades of creations, but I guess any stuff created during the ReMI hype is all good.)

• Like 1

The way that one samples Murray repeatedly saying "Ron Gilbert..." "Ron Gilbert... told.. me" is baffling. Wouldn't be MI fan art without weird choices though.

This one showed up a couple weeks after the trailer and made me happy.

Also theres this, which showed up early too:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1

14 minutes ago, Blondebeard said:

Another fan version of LeChuck’s theme.

(VIDEO)

Wow, I’m always so impressed by these musicians who handle all these instruments so well. 

What the hell is this?!

Kzo6Kwc.png

I posted this sketch before but thought I'd share it here too.

I tried to predict what Guybrush would look like based on Rex's previous art. 

I'm probably way off, but fun to guess. 😁

20220516_125725.jpg

Edited by Toymafia88
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Toymafia88 said:

I posted this sketch before but thought I'd share it here too.

I tried to predict what Guybrush would look like based on Rex's previous art. 

I'm probably way off, but fun to guess. 😁

20220516_125725.jpg

I really like this, it looks very guybrushy and it combines the familiar look&feel with the new art style. There might be a reason why we didn't see Guybrush yet, maybe he's undead and a ghost/zombie pirate after what happened in Lechuck's Revenge (tm). 

Ron said this is going to be an E-ticket ride. I hope it's not getting too weird and we'll still get a normal story + adventure.

Also they mentioned in an interview that the games reflected their current life. When they began making games and working at lucasfilm Guybrush wanted to be a pirate, very young and naive. Now they are older and maybe Guybrush got older too. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, neoncolor8 said:

I really like this, it looks very guybrushy and it combines the familiar look&feel with the new art style. There might be a reason why we didn't see Guybrush yet, maybe he's undead and a ghost/zombie pirate after what happened in Lechuck's Revenge (tm). 

Ron said this is going to be an E-ticket ride. I hope it's not getting too weird and we'll still get a normal story + adventure.

Also they mentioned in an interview that the games reflected their current life. When they began making games and working at lucasfilm Guybrush wanted to be a pirate, very young and naive. Now they are older and maybe Guybrush got older too. 

Thank you so much, I'm so interested to see how Rex will interpret Guybrush in this game. His art style is pretty unpredictable. It's not like Matt Groening where the eyes, nose and mouth often look the same. 

I think its a safe bet that Guybrush will have dots for eyes based on the characters we've seen.

I've heard others talking about Guybrush being an old man. I don't mind this idea but only if they don't alter his personality into a cranky old man.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Toymafia88 said:

Thank you so much, I'm so interested to see how Rex will interpret Guybrush in this game. His art style is pretty unpredictable. It's not like Matt Groening where the eyes, nose and mouth often look the same. 

I think its a safe bet that Guybrush will have dots for eyes based on the characters we've seen.

I've heard others talking about Guybrush being an old man. I don't mind this idea but only if they don't alter his personality into a cranky old man.

I think people were more thinking that he could be slightly older if there is a timeskip involved. I doubt they'd make him particularly old.

Anyway, while I'm here I might as well reshare one interpretation of how a new-style MI theme could sound. It was based on the idea that MI1 and 2 had quite different takes on the theme, and I'd like it if ReMI went for soemthing different too.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, neoncolor8 said:

Well they also said it's a game about pirates, and: "we also were very aware that there are probably way more people out there in the world who’ve never played Monkey Island but have heard about it. We also wanted to do something that was accessible to them so that they could be eased into the world of Monkey Island and not feel like outsiders the moment they started the game. Those are really important story and design aspects of what we tackle." I think there'll be some weirdness throughout, but much like MI2 it'll be heavily confined to the end (and probably the start. (Hard to start where MI2 left off without being a BIT weird.)

Edited by KestrelPi
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Blondebeard said:

That’s a hurdy-gurdy! I think it’s quite popular in the Sea of Thieves world (I’m not really a player, I have only played it a few times, but I have seen a few videos where it’s used).

Indeed. It's a pretty old instrument. As I understand it it's a bowed instrument, like a violin, but the bow is operated by that crank, and is in a sort of loop, so you can just turn and hold notes indefinitely. And then the other hand controls the notes through keys.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

I think people were more thinking that he could be slightly older if there is a timeskip involved. I doubt they'd make him particularly old.

Anyway, while I'm here I might as well reshare one interpretation of how a new-style MI theme could sound. It was based on the idea that MI1 and 2 had quite different takes on the theme, and I'd like it if ReMI went for soemthing different too.

I really like how there's an air of meloncholy to this version, to me this tells the story of Guybrush going back to a critical part of his life, but things are different, he's a different person and been through so much, he's been avoiding it for too long, but now it's time for one last adventure...it's time to Return to Monkey Island.  To me, this is perfect! I hope the actual theme is as good, (though I'm sure it will, we're dealing with the MI2 musical trio here :D) 

• Like 1

OOH!! I love this!! The shading is very detailed!! I love that you put Mêlée Island in the background too! 
I posted this in the Lucasarts fan discord server but since there's a forum for this now, I might as well share this here too. Yesterday I wanted try my hand at designing a Guybrush for ReMI (seeing people do it online seemed fun) but I kind of forgot that halfway through so this is now just a chibi, babyfied MI2 Guybrush haha! 

Screenshot_20220524-060643_Sketchbook.jp

Edited by CalisDraws
  • Like 5

On 5/24/2022 at 1:58 AM, KestrelPi said:

These fan renditions are getting so good these days!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

This is really cool...

FU2zG68WQAIwfuU?format=jpg

This probably works better as a poster for MI2, but it's also just generally a really great piece of art. We can only hope that the official poster has as much detail and care as this. I'm still really torn about whether I want Steve Purcell or Rex Crowle to do the box art. There is something intriguing about the mystery of what Rex could do versus kinda knowing what Steve Purcell's style is.

Someone on reddit tried to redraw guybrush from pixel to vector and tried to recreate the style of Rex Crowle.

I've tried to add it to the new background and...for me it works great!

Original post here

RTMI_1.jpg

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, DM81 said:

Someone on reddit tried to redraw guybrush from pixel to vector and tried to recreate the style of Rex Crowle.

I've tried to add it to the new background and...for me it works great!

Original post here

RTMI_1.jpg

This looks great! I think I might've said this earlier, but I would love to see Rex take on MI1 and 2 in this art style. It's also quite amazing how quickly a screenshot can feel more Monkey Island-y just by adding Guybrush into it. It's all going to sink in when we finally see him and I will drown in my own tears of happiness, mark my words.

• Like 3