Home

Devolver Digital

I don't know if this outside the Mojo-verse, but I thought it might be worth looking at DD's other games while we're waiting for ReMI.

For example, they just released an adventure game called CARD SHARK set in the 18th century that looks really interesting...

https://www.devolverdigital.com/games/card-shark

Edited by ThunderPeel2001
  • Like 1

Devolver Digital publishes tons of gems. I remember during last year's E3 I ended up wishlisting their stuff mostly and ignored almost every other game. They seem to love indie vibes and original/obscure stuff, a breath of fresh air between all the AAA stuff. It's no surprise to me that we have to thank them in the first place for RMI. Love'em!

• Like 2

I am also looking forward to playing Card Shark, after the PC Gamer write up by, I believe, Christopher Livingston, who is one of my favorite gaming journalists. His phenomenal Living In Oblivion and Elder Strolls series, among others, have left me laughing so hard.

• Like 1

I haven't played a lot of Devolver published games sadly, but one I definitely got into hardcore-like was Death's Door (by two-person developer Acid Nerve).

Bought the game, pretty immediately also bought the awesome soundtrack. The characters in this one are whackadoodle crazy. I of course completely failed to whack the final boss (or rather, the fake final boss even), which is always horribly disappointing when you've wracked your nerves to even get to the final boss in the first place. Good thing that's not much of a problem with ReMI. 😝

I could post a trailer, I won't. What I'm going to do is post one of the music tracks. Then you're going to hear the same track but as it occurs in the game – literally synched up to the sound of piston platforms that go up and down.

Official, as in the soundtrack:

With piston clanking (which they phase in and out in the game):

Edited by Vainamoinen

I haven't played any of their games before, though I know they've been doing a lot of wild, creative things and their whole shtick at E3 has been to take the piss out of the false-transparency of the big guns at those presentations. The meta nature of the crazy narratives in their presentations honestly fit MI so perfectly, I wouldn't be surprised if they go to a theme park and meet Ron there to show Return or something wild like that. It won't just be "ok,here's game #1, game #2, here's Monkey island", it's gonna get really strange, and I for one can't wait to see it.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vainamoinen said:

I haven't played a lot of Devolver published games sadly, but one I definitely got into hardcore-like was Death's Door

Yeah Death's Door is definitely high priority on my soon-to-play list, seems like a real treat!

• Like 1

On 6/6/2022 at 4:07 PM, OzzieMonkey said:

I haven't played any of their games before, though I know they've been doing a lot of wild, creative things and their whole shtick at E3 has been to take the piss out of the false-transparency of the big guns at those presentations. The meta nature of the crazy narratives in their presentations honestly fit MI so perfectly, I wouldn't be surprised if they go to a theme park and meet Ron there to show Return or something wild like that. It won't just be "ok,here's game #1, game #2, here's Monkey island", it's gonna get really strange, and I for one can't wait to see it.  

Their 'presentations' have great entertainment value and I'm looking forward to them each year. The caveat is huge here though: The game trailers and the hilarious frame narrative are in no relation to each other. You could substitute the trailers with any other trailers and still wouldn't have any inconsistencies with the live action video. They have until the very last moment to decide what trailers to put in there, that's a plus, but I kind of wish that the names of some of the games slip from the mouths of the fictional corporate figures that are portrayed.