Home

Unpopular opinions

BillyCheers

5 hours ago, Romão said:

Rhea Seehorn from Better Call Saul. And while you're at it, get Bob Odenkirk for a life action Stan

I know who'll play the amazing, adventurous, acrobatic, and exceedingly well-known, fabulous, flying Fettucini Brothers.

twins.jpg

• Haha 6

23 hours ago, KestrelPi said:

In fact, if anything Guybrush is Elaine's weakness. She's strong, independent and resourceful, and clear headed, but Guybrush gets under her skin in a way that brings out her softer side. But you wouldn't know that to play EMI, in that game he behaves more like a puppy who is eager to do whatever to please her, and she's more than happy to utilize him for whatever errand best suits her purposes, which isn't how I see that relationship at ALL.

I took this as Guybrush was still in the the honeymoon stage, willing to do anything she asked. Frankly it felt right after getting married at the end of CMI - it seemed like he was still in disbelief that he was married and life hadn't gotten real yet (he also probably just got laid, which may have not have been a frequent occurrence before..)

My point is that I think he was meant to act and seem different that before, as they were just figuring out what it meant to be married. Now if it was a few games later and he was acting like that still then I think it would have been out of place...

On 6/16/2022 at 10:50 PM, Udvarnoky said:

A summary of how EMI views that relationship is in the game's opening cutscene. How does the game choose to recap their dynamic? With a montage of Elaine punching Guybrush in the face. It's funny in a "don't think about it" way, but also a really lame and sitcom-y distillation of the couple.

I dunno... I thought it was hilarious! I still laugh when I watch it - I really loved the EMI intro, and thought they did a great job summarizing the backstory in a very embellishing Guybrush point-of-view type of way. I really don't think the 'Memoirs of Guybrush Threepwood' are supposed to be taken literally.

And I also noticed a lot of people grumbling about Elaine punching Guybrush in the intro... in my mind, that idea started in CMI! I don't think its too much of a leap to think that Elaine got angry with him more than once..

I feel obliged to add my 'I like the updated monkey island logo' and have no strong feelings about returning to the old one to unpopular opinions.

1559139575-4281082909.jpg

It feels more or less respectful to the original logo to me, while adding a torn treasure map effect, and giving the lettering a little bit more of a piratey feel. I sort of wish it was purple, I kind of like the idea of each of the games logos getting their own colour? But other than that, I'm into it.

The original was fine, I s'pose

1172px-Thesecretofmonkeyisland-logo.svg.

But I feel no special attachment to it, and I don't think anything about it particularly says 'piratey adventure' to me.

If anything the new logo takes it closer to this:

30932902738.jpg

• Like 1

I think the logo getting more explicitly piratey is a net negative. It makes the possibility space imagined when you look at the logo much smaller. The original is just so crisply designed. It implies a grand scale adventure, and a certain level of attention to detail, and even creative restraint, that you don’t often see in a logo design. When it’s paired with the cover art on the box, it makes the whole thing seem potentially larger than what is depicted. The SE logo knows exactly what it is - a slightly cartooney pirate story - and is worse off for it. 

I don’t think the On Stranger Tides comparison is apt. Even though it, like the SE logo, has some tattered edges, the Tides logo is still crisp and carries menace. The SE logo is using those visual wear “pirate” signifiers to be playful and disarming, to evoke expressive brushstrokes, etc. Not really the same to my eye. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I mean my unpopular opinion is that I don't feel strongly about it and I find it a bit odd that people have such a strong reaction to it. Which I realise is subjective but does at least feel borne out by the two replies. People let most of the OTHER unpopular opinions stand😉

• Haha 2

I think the SE logo has a good approach: It has more of a pirate look and (this may be nit-picking, but I like it) that it fills the "gap" between the L and the A.

But in the end, to me, it's just not designed properly. Why, for example, do the tip on the bottom of the capital I end up curved, while on the M it has two straight sides. That doesn't make any sense.

23 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

People let most of the OTHER unpopular opinions stand😉

I think we should be able to discuss all unpopular opinions (it's a forum here, after all) and has been done with others. As long as it happens friendly... 🙂

5 hours ago, BillyCheers said:

I think we should be able to discuss all unpopular opinions (it's a forum here, after all) and has been done with others. As long as it happens friendly... 🙂

Haha, I hope my little dig was taken in the spirit intended, which was friendly and not-particularly-serious :)

On 6/19/2022 at 8:57 PM, Vainamoinen said:

Oh how I tried to get On Stranger Tides with the James Gurney cover. 😭

Two weeks ago, I found the 2008 Subterranean Press edition, for around 10 pounds. I was ecstatic:

47720019dcf4563e623eafa05bf2f34966494868

Edited by Romão
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Romão said:

Two weeks, I found the 2008 Subterranean Press edition, for around 10 pounds. I was ecstatic:

You lucky bandbard! ;)

On Stranger Tides is a main inspiration for one of my favorite game series, and James Gurney ... I wish he was my dad, that's all I'll say.

Edited by Vainamoinen
Quoting that post WITH the picture was a mistake
  • Haha 1

On 6/20/2022 at 3:06 AM, KestrelPi said:

I mean my unpopular opinion is that I don't feel strongly about it and I find it a bit odd that people have such a strong reaction to it. Which I realise is subjective but does at least feel borne out by the two replies. People let most of the OTHER unpopular opinions stand😉

I actually agree with you. I don't think I would have instigated a logo change, but I have no problems with the SE one, and I actually like it a lot for Tales.

However, for the sake of consistency, I wish they hadn't changed it... or only used it for the SEs.

Edited by madmardi
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, madmardi said:

I actually agree with you. I don't think I would have instigated a logo change, but I have no problems with the SE one, and I actually like it a lot for Tales.

However, for the sake of consistency, I wish they hadn't changed it... or only used it for the SEs.

I never thought about using the logo only for the SEs, but that's an interesting idea. On the other hand, it would emphasize their "Special Edition-ness" as something distinct from the original product rather than a "restoration", which the makers of such SEs (whether in film or video games) are often at pains to de-emphasize, even when they involve hugely drastic changes to the original works.

Both with MI and the Star Wars movies the "Special Editions" have entirely replaced the original versions in the marketplace, for instance, except for the odd releases like the Limited Run Games MI box set and the laserdisc-transfer DVD versions of the SW Episodes 4-6.

Edited by ATMcashpoint

On 6/22/2022 at 9:57 PM, ATMcashpoint said:

I never thought about using the logo only for the SEs, but that's an interesting idea. On the other hand, it would emphasize their "Special Edition-ness" as something distinct from the original product rather than a "restoration", which the makers of such SEs (whether in film or video games) are often at pains to de-emphasize, even when they involve hugely drastic changes to the original works.

Both with MI and the Star Wars movies the "Special Editions" have entirely replaced the original versions in the marketplace, for instance, except for the odd releases like the Limited Run Games MI box set and the laserdisc-transfer DVD versions of the SW Episodes 4-6.

At least the 256 color DOS versions of the Monkey Island games are able to be extracted from the special editions. I don't really care one way or the other about the Star Wars Special Editions, but it is a shame that the original theatrical cut isn't available for those who do care .

Is not having any opinion about the Star Wars Special Editions an unpopular opinion? 😛

Edited by Jenni

Well... I don't care whether Han shot first. Seriously. First, second. Doesn't matter. It makes sense for either of them to shoot first. This is literally the most thought I've ever given it, I don't care.

...I only care that altering it for him to shoot second made it look super weird.

Just now, KestrelPi said:

Well... I don't care whether Han shot first. Seriously. First, second. Doesn't matter. It makes sense for either of them to shoot first. This is literally the most thought I've ever given it, I don't care.

...I only care that altering it for him to shoot second made it look super weird.

The best part is in the Disney Plus version: Greedo now says "Macklunkey" for no reason before they shoot :p 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jenni said:

At least the 256 color DOS versions of the Monkey Island games are able to be extracted from the special editions. I don't really care one way or the other about the Star Wars Special Editions, but it is a shame that the original theatrical cut isn't available for those who do care .

Is not having any opinion about the Star Wars Special Editions an unpopular opinion? 😛

Not the original version of MI2, sadly, due to the SE dialogue changes being implemented in both game modes. And even the MI1 SE has a few dialogue tweaks, though nothing nearly as egregious.

Edited by ATMcashpoint

4 hours ago, OzzieMonkey said:

The best part is in the Disney Plus version: Greedo now says "Macklunkey" for no reason before they shoot :p 

It's like Tuco Ramirez said in The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, in the very scene that was the model for the original SW bar shootout in the first place: "When you gotta shoot, shoot, don't talk!"

• Like 1