Home

Unpopular opinions

I don’t like Star Wars either. Part 4, 5 and 6 are films from my youth, so I’ll gladly watch those with my kid when he gets old enough, and I can honestly say that I think Empire is a good movie. But everything that has been done with it since (to me) was just crap.

I never liked the prequels, but I can honestly say that I prefer them to the horrendous sequels that Disney produced. At least George Lucas had a vision of where he wanted to take his franchise. Disney is just milking the cow dry, and the way they handled the sequels to such a beloved franchise is just outrageous! (Especially when you consider they literally promised George Lucas they’d produce his sequels when he sold them said cow, which they never did.)

So in closure, even though I like 4, 5 and 6, and can even say one of them is a good movie, I can now say I like only a very small part of what Star Wars is, and that part is only getting smaller as more VOD crap is being produced.

3 hours ago, Marius said:

(Pssst, please put ReMI content outside the ReMI thread into spoiler tags, k thx byeee)

Thanks for this! 

1 hour ago, Lagomorph01 said:

I don’t like Star Wars either. Part 4, 5 and 6 are films from my youth, so I’ll gladly watch those with my kid when he gets old enough, and I can honestly say that I think Empire is a good movie. But everything that has been done with it since (to me) was just crap.

You are not a Lucasarts Star Wars gamer from the 90s-00s? No Kyle Katarn, X-Wing and TIE Fighter, and/or Knights of the Old Republic?

KOTOR has some moments that feel pretty adventure gamey. And I'll always cherish the moments I rampaged through Barons Hed with Max the lagomorph.

6 minutes ago, BaronGrackle said:

You are not a Lucasarts Star Wars gamer from the 90s-00s? No Kyle Katarn, X-Wing and TIE Fighter, and/or Knights of the Old Republic?

KOTOR has some moments that feel pretty adventure gamey. And I'll always cherish the moments I rampaged through Barons Hed with Max the lagomorph.

No, I never cared much for the 90's Star Wars games. I did play the Dark Forces demo a couple of times though. That was pretty fun. I do like the fact that they steered away from the Skywalker family, something Disney still hasn't really dared to do.

5 minutes ago, Lagomorph01 said:

No, I never cared much for the 90's Star Wars games. I did play the Dark Forces demo a couple of times though. That was pretty fun. I do like the fact that they steered away from the Skywalker family, something Disney still hasn't really dared to do.

If you ever decide to give KOTOR a chance (now on Switch), try as a Scoundrel named Guybrush, and play like him.

Then it's The Largo Embargo, The Three Trials, Four Map Pieces, and Guybrush Kicks Butt.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Staple Remover said:

After a recent playthrough, I have developed the wildly unpopular opinion that If they included the spitting contest and the bone song, the Monkey Island 2 lite version would be a better than the regular. 

Strangely, you're not the first person I've heard to say that. I think Ron made a big mistake making an "easy" and "hard" mode. (Same with Thimbleweed Park.) Curse's "Normal" and "Hard" was perfect.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

Strangely, you're not the first person I've heard to say that. I think Ron made a big mistake making an "easy" and "hard" mode. (Same with Thimbleweed Park.) Curse's "Normal" and "Hard" was perfect.

I wasn’t a fan of it in Thimbleweed Park, but I did love the Ransom uncensored DLC for being a new “version” of the game. 

I have some unpopular opinions regarding Tales.

I don't really get what all the fuss is about and why people like it so much over Escape:

I don't like the Morgan-Guybrush-Elaine-Lechuck "love conflict" they have going on.

It has the art style I like less in all of the games (not including special editions), even though I still like it.

The puzzles are really easy, even though they are interesting in concept.

It's overly dramatic for a Monkey Island game.

It has unfortunately the worst music because of the limitations of the WiiWare.

I didn't mind the same character models reused for other characters, I think it's really cool how they made each pirate on Flotsam feel really different and unique with that limitation.

I have some other gripes with it and decided to end with a positive unpopular opinion because with all that said, I still really like the game and what it was trying to achieve, and I really have fun playing it.

20 hours ago, Staple Remover said:

I did love the Ransom uncensored DLC for being a new “version” of the game. 

On another note, I thought the Ransom DLC was pointless and kind of ruined the whole joke with the character. I think the bleeps over curse words are way funnier than the curse words themselves

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Wally B. said:

I have some unpopular opinions regarding Tales.

I don't really get what all the fuss is about and why people like it so much over Escape:

I don't like the Morgan-Guybrush-Elaine-Lechuck "love conflict" they have going on.

It has the art style I like less in all of the games (not including special editions), even though I still like it.

The puzzles are really easy, even though they are interesting in concept.

It's overly dramatic for a Monkey Island game.

It has unfortunately the worst music because of the limitations of the WiiWare.

I didn't mind the same character models reused for other characters, I think it's really cool how they made each pirate on Flotsam feel really different and unique with that limitation.

I have some other gripes with it and decided to end with a positive unpopular opinion because with all that said, I still really like the game and what it was trying to achieve, and I really have fun playing it.

On another note, I thought the Ransom DLC was pointless and kind of ruined the whole joke with the character. I think the bleeps over curse words are way funnier than the curse words themselves

I consider Tales a good 'first try' for the team and I wish they'd got more tries, in a way just like they did with Sam and Max and got better and better at it. They were clearly limited by hardware, and it took quite a while for the series to hit its stride, but I liked a lot of it and what it was gesturing at.

I think a lot of people are kind to it because it feels like it's heart is mostly in the right place, and seems to be trying to get back to some of the the more mysterious aspects of the earlier games, even if it doesn't always completely succeed with it. It was a game that... to me felt like it was interested in understanding what makes a Monkey Island game tick and finding new ways to express that, which I personally found more enjoyable than EMI's 'turn it all up to 11' approach.

I do think the puzzles are better than I remembered, when I played it earlier this year. They're not terribly difficult, but I did get stuck sometimes, and honestly I'm not sure I'd especially want a much harder time than that. I've always liked my adventure game puzzles to provide some enjoyable resistance, not to stop me dead. I don't mind being a bit stuck, but I never enjoyed grinding to a halt.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

I think a lot of people are kind to it because it feels like it's heart is mostly in the right place, and seems to be trying to get back to some of the the more mysterious aspects of the earlier games, even if it doesn't always completely succeed with it.

I can totally get behind this, it's actually how I feel about the game and why I like it.

But my point is (and it's another unpopular opinion, i guess) is that Escape is a game that knows what it wants to be (even though it may not be of everyone's liking) and so, to me, it feels more coherent and a better experience than Tales. Tales might feel more familiar though, and that's why people like it over Escape.

Also I think Escape (when you get in the right mindset) is kinda easy. Certainly easier than Monkey 2 at least. And the pc controls are good and easy to grasp.

• Thanks 1

When I look at reddit polls (a true and reliable metric, I know), Escape polls better than Tales when all of the Monkey Island games are choices. Tales polls better than Escape when they are the only two choices.

You can infer different things from that, but to me it suggests that Escape has a very distinct feel to it that can translate as love-it-or-hate-it.

Edited by BaronGrackle
  • Like 1

The re-use of character models in Tales of Monkey Island was not a system constraint but a deliberate homage to the replicated animatronics in Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean rides: https://earzup-podcast.com/2021/03/the-many-faces-of-disneylands-pirates-of-the-caribbean-part-1/

This opinion is unpopular because it is objectively wrong. But maybe you can start circulating it anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Chef's Kiss 2