Home

Indiana Jones and the Great Circle

Udvarnoky

Guess we didn't already have a thread for this. Making one now because there's something called the "Xbox and Bethesda Games Showcase" happening on Sunday, and some people seem to think there may be a peek at Indy out of the event. Whether that's true or whether they're gonna pull the ol' Devolver Special on you poor saps remains to be seen, but there it is.

To be honest, I'm fully expecting a wannabe Uncharted from this. But what I AM really excited about (weirdly, just like with the fifth Indy movie) is the soundtrack. The last Indy game was Staff of Kings, which got a hybrid orchestral/samples soundtrack. By now, fully orchestral soundtracks are the norm for AAA games, and someone like Gordy Haab could surely compose something that at least sounds really close to John Williams.

When done right, yeah. I can't fully see Indy working as a shooter (he's pretty well defined as not killing everyone in sight), though Emperor's Tomb at least had the right idea (if a bit comically executed) regarding hand-to-hand combat.

If the game focuses more on the puzzles and action setpieces, I'm in. Ah, who am I kidding, I'll get this no matter what.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Staple Remover said:

I feel like a 2023 release alongside the movie is realistic

I've no doubt the publisher would love that, but my suspicion is that this game is still years away. Would be happy to be proven pessimistic, though!

Uncharted has really developed. I started the series with part four / A Thief's End, which still had way too many combat sequences for me. I went back to play the Remastered stuff, but never finished part 1, this long long line of shooting sequences. Lost Legacy, for me, was almost perfect. The story focus was strong, the main characters great, there was the flirt with an open world (and even a map). Still too many repetitive mechanics (I am a P&C adventure fan after all).

I don't think that MachineGames would ever make "my dream Indiana Jones game", which would be a FOA reboot anyway, but if they tailor it after Uncharted, it would be great if they'd take lessons from what Uncharted did not so badly in their earlier parts. And Indiana Jones was never the guy to frantically jump around, climb rock faces, go into a gun fight armed with more than six bullets. He's never been a Nathan Drake.

Also, Game companies these days seem mortally afraid of releasing a game that takes "just" ten to fifteen hours to complete. That's a trend that could really change.

Edited by Vainamoinen
  • Like 1

On 6/10/2022 at 12:23 PM, Staple Remover said:

I feel like a 2023 release alongside the movie is realistic, so we should see some trailer!

But then again I said the same thing yesterday too with Devolver…

Well I’m 0 for 2. 

Let me try it this way. 

“I am feeling pretty confident that we will not see a Return to Monkey Island trailer today.”

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

I love how Jason immediately draws the Beyond Good & Evil 2 comparison – a game that is highly unlikely to ever release especially since all it ever should have been will now be poured into Star Wars Outlaws.

The new Indy game was clearly meant to release with Dial of Destiny. That failed. But Dial of Destiny also bombed, so there's reason number two to never even finish this. 😩

I'm so fed up with this industry.

Edited by Vainamoinen

• 4 months later...

After Dial of Destiny, The Great Circle is another name that might be about something cool once you know what it is, but sounds absolutely boring on the first impression 🫠

RAIDERS of the LOST ark (hey an arc is part of a circle...)

Temple of DOOM

the LAST CRUSADE

FATE of ATLANTIS

EMPEROR's tomb

INFERNAL machine

and the great circle lol

I've dome some research btw, mathematically and geographically a great circle is the largest possible circle around a sphere, eg. the equator or any other circle around the Earth.

It's also artificial terraformings in shapes of circles.

Looking forward to that trailer anyway :)

Yeah the titles usually evoke some specific mythical concept, but it didn't look like there were any superstitious or occult associations with the geographical Great Circle, at least in my very limited search.