Home

ReMI ramp-up

Remi

Which games are you replaying in preparation for ReMI?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Fess up!

• The Secret of Monkey Island -- playing it OG
    • The Secret of Monkey Island SE -- is it AS bad as you remember it being?
    • Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge -- only the best
    • Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge SE -- only the best, just not quite as good
    • The Curse of Monkey Island -- was "more slaw" actually a line in the game?
    • Escape from Monkey Island -- the underrated gem
    • Tales of Monkey Island -- because who doesn't like fun?
    • (Thimbleweed Park -- it seems appropriate, all things taken into consideration)

I finally started with Delores. Just to see where the new UI could go to. Now, this is a pretty raw build of something new, and I'm not certain it ever was a diamond in the rough. I instinctively disliked huge verb-noun text popping up right in front of the mouse pointer, possibly even blocking the view to the thing you want to interact with. I'd much rather have the old fashioned sentence building up at the bottom of the screen. Everything else worked mostly fine here. The inventory can be switched on and off here, but let's be honest, nobody is switching it off and that's a bit sad. Here's hoping they took the evolution a bit further than that (and I definitely think they did ;) ).

Edited by Vainamoinen

2 hours ago, BaronGrackle said:

Curse of Monkey Island Remastered updates the verb coin with a "kick" verb.

Using "kick" on anything causes Guybrush to injure himself, holding the damaged leg while hopping on the other for a short animation.

Like when link opens a chest without shoes? 😅🥰

link-botw.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Wow 1

1 hour ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

But what good is a kick when you’re slow, unresponsive, and can’t even combine inventory items?

You said this before and I never remember it being that slow. I'll take your word for it that it's slower than CMI's but it can't have been that much slower or it would have stuck out to me when I replayed recently.

As for the non-combination of inventory... there's nothing about FT's interface design as I recall that would make it impossible to combine inventory (with a pretty trivial tweak), If they'd wanted those kind of puzzles they could have just made it so that the inventory looks/behaves exactly the same except when you take an item from it it lingers until you click out of it so you can use it with other inventory. But why do that if no puzzles need it? So to me this isn't an interface limitation, it's a puzzle design decision.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2022 at 6:33 PM, Jake said:

The verb coin has nothing to do with inventory combination and you know it. Grasping at straws here (while slowly sinking in quicksand after escaping from a snake).

Oh man, you couldn’t help yourself! I only talked about SCUMM interface iterations. It was you who said CMI and Full Throttle’s were the same because they were both verb coins. The interface includes the inventory handling, which is pitiful in FT (and Grim). 

And yes, there’s an annoying janky delay with the interface on FT, too. Just like there’s crappy control responsiveness issues in the action sequences. FT just pushed Scumm a little too far (but good on it for trying), which they fixed with Curse’s snappier, more responsive interface. 

(The difference to me felt like software implementation vs hardware accelerated… I don’t know exactly why CMI’s interface feels less sluggish than FT’s, but that’s what it feels like to me.)

Why these undeniable facts require debate, I don’t know 🤷‍♂️ The only opinion I’ll share on the subject is this: CMI had had the most enjoyable to use Scumm interface. 

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

The sluggishness you describe in FT, is that through ScummVM? I’m wondering if it’s the same on era-appropriate hardware or DREAMM (one way or the other). That does sound weird and not something I particularly remember noticing.

Damn, all this talk puts me in the mood for FT, and I still have three Monkey Island games to get through before ReMI!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BaronGrackle said:

If you see a verb coin on the ground and try to Pick Up Verb Coin, Look At Verb Coin, or Bite Verb Coin, will your game crash?

Oh, man! All of a sudden I want Curse to start in LeChuck's ship with the old verb interface, with your first puzzle being the acquiring of the verb-coin, and the interface changing from that point on! That would've been a fun meta puzzle for fans of SMI and MI2. (Don't think it would land well with newcomers though.)

• Like 1
  • Chef's Kiss 3

12 minutes ago, Lagomorph01 said:

Oh, man! All of a sudden I want Curse to start in LeChuck's ship with the old verb interface, with your first puzzle being the acquiring of the verb-coin, and the interface changing from that point on! That would've been a fun meta puzzle for fans of SMI and MI2. (Don't think it would land well with newcomers though.)

Followed by Guybrush freaking out for a moment. "How will I ever push again? Or pull? Oh god, how do I open doors now?? HELP!"

• Haha 2

In preparation for Return to Monkey Island, I've already played The Secret of Monkey Island (Ultimate Talkie Edition) and "Curse".

I'm not sure if I'll play also LeChuck's Revenge, not simply because I know it by heart, but also because I've decided to invest my time reading "On Stranger Tides" which, as you may well know, was a source of inspiration to Ron Gilbert for the first two games of the franchise.

I'm religiously taking note of any element of the story that shows some resemblance to what happens in MI1 and MI2 and, since I'm loving it, I hope that the book will inspire in some way RtMI as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thrik said:

The sluggishness you describe in FT, is that through ScummVM? I’m wondering if it’s the same on era-appropriate hardware or DREAMM (one way or the other). That does sound weird and not something I particularly remember noticing.

Damn, all this talk puts me in the mood for FT, and I still have three Monkey Island games to get through before ReMI!

You can definitely feel it in ScummVM. I actually remember it being worse on my native PC back in the day. DOSBOX or DREAMM should also have an accurate representation of it... Definitely a good excuse to boot both games up either way (and maybe try DREAMM -- something I haven't had a chance to?).

5 minutes ago, LowLevel said:

I'm religiously taking note of any element of the story that shows some resemblance to what happens in MI1 and MI2 and, since I'm loving it, I hope that the book will inspire in some way RtMI as well.

Other than the name LaGrande appearing (which is also where Ron Gilbert is from... La Grande, Oregon), the mixture of pirates and voodoo, and (I think) some mushrooms mentioned in the voodoo world?, I didn't spot much.

Am I misremembering?

• Like 1