Home

Details of Monkey Island

Marius

6 hours ago, Thrik said:

I noticed while checking out music in another thread that it only seems to be the CD version of Monkey Island 1 that has an extended version of the LeChuck theme, where they mess around with the keys to riff off of the same underlying jig.

Here’s the original EGA music (with MT-32), where it just repeats the same tune.

But now listen to the CD version. The first time it plays the tune, it’s the same. But the second and third times are each different variations that have never been used again since to my knowledge.

They're included in the ultimate talkie version, because that one uses a low-effort MIDI recreation that some LucasArts music site made 20+ years ago. 😉

Edited by Serge

Yeah, the CD version also had extended/varied circus music, and I think possibly ghost ship shuffle, too? And maybe I'm remembering it wrong but I think it had an extended version of the map music and the sneaking around music too.

I was always sort of ambivalent about the variations, but it was the main version of the game I had access to in my teens so I became very used to hearing them.

12 hours ago, Thrik said:

But now listen to the CD version. The first time it plays the tune, it’s the same. But the second and third times are each different variations that have never been used again since to my knowledge.

Nice spot, but it sounds terrible to me. Like someone trying to riff who can't riff. Boy, I really hate the CD version.

5 hours ago, KestrelPi said:

Yeah, the CD version also had extended/varied circus music, and I think possibly ghost ship shuffle, too? And maybe I'm remembering it wrong but I think it had an extended version of the map music and the sneaking around music too.

I was always sort of ambivalent about the variations, but it was the main version of the game I had access to in my teens so I became very used to hearing them.

Yes, you're right. They noodled around in the circus music too. I wonder who was responsible for all this stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

While reading through some 12-year-old thread about the Ultimate Talkie for Monkey Island 2, I noticed an observation made about the PC Speaker soundtrack for MI2 being different in some ways.

The major divergences I can hear are that the slow LeChuck’s Fortress music used during the cutscenes has been replaced with a much faster take on the LeChuck theme (more like MI1 and briefly the MI2 credits), and the ending medley uses different songs.

• Like 1
  • Wow 3

Pretty cool to hear the Bones song after that ending. A little bit chilling, as it's a call back to your parents helping you on your quest... but in the final moments of the game, they are so distant.

Oh, and wow, the score when Largo steals the beard and announces LeChucks return, is surprisingly good! (See 08:44)

Edited by Marius
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Marius said:

Pretty cool to hear the Bones song after that ending. A little bit chilling, as it's a call back to your parents helping you on your quest... but in the final moments of the game, they are so distant.

Oh, and wow, the score when Largo steals the beard and announces LeChucks return, is surprisingly good! (See 08:44)

Yeah it’s a nice take! Although I have to say, for me it can’t beat the absolute chef’s kiss that is mostly just hearing slow, churning versions of the LeChuck theme throughout most of the game, aside from a truncated version after the bone dance, and then it ends with this (Sadly still a little truncated!):

• Chef's Kiss 2

On 7/13/2022 at 12:33 PM, Jake said:

Seems like it was extra content added on by whoever did the CD arrangements (presumably the same person who wrote the Stan’s track?)

Were they actually added, or was it something that couldn't fit on the originals?

I ask because:

1) People once told me that the MI2 CD version added Elaine's ending line hoping Guybrush wasn't under some terrible curse. But now, I hear people saying the line was in older versions but wouldn't show up because the screen-fading technology wasn't supported.

2) I've seen people play an EGA version of MI2 (apparently not a different product, but an option for running the game), and it doesn't even include every musical track.

Edited by BaronGrackle

13 minutes ago, BaronGrackle said:

1) People once told me that the MI2 CD version added Elaine's ending line hoping Guybrush wasn't under some terrible curse. But now, I hear people saying the line was in older versions but wouldn't show up because the screen-fading technology wasn't supported.

Half-remembered nonsense. There is no "MI2 CD" version for one thing, secondly it was only the Amiga version that faded before the line was seen. The line was always there, just nobody noticed the bug... which inadvertently led to a generation of European gamers to be convinced there was no other explanation to the ending.

Read more here:

Were they actually added, or was it something that couldn't fit on the originals?

It was actually added (by a totally different composer -- who also remixed the music tracks so they looped less frequently). It was added... along with many bugs (that ScummVM now fixes).

2) I've seen people play an EGA version of MI2 (apparently not a different product, but an option for running the game), and it doesn't even include every musical track.

Yes, slight variations to the music, as mentioned a few posts above yours:

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

15 minutes ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

Half-remembered nonsense. There is no "MI2 CD" version for one thing, secondly it was only the Amiga version that faded before the line was seen. The line was always there, just nobody noticed the bug... which inadvertently led to a generation of European gamers to be convinced there was no other explanation to the ending.

Read more here:

It was actually added (by a totally different composer -- who also remixed the music tracks so they looped less frequently). It was added... along with many bugs (that ScummVM now fixes).

Yes, slight variations to the music, as mentioned a few posts above yours:

Yes, by "CD version" I'm referring to the Monkey Island Madness CD which was basically just the disk version, as I understand things. I know it removed the option to play Lite Mode in the process of removing copy protection.

I had not realized the cut text was unique to the amiga but had thought it was specific to all the original releases. I see, now.

EDIT: It's funny that EGA MI2 version doesn't include certain songs like Campfire or Woodtick, but it's understandable.

Edited by BaronGrackle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BaronGrackle said:

Yes, by "CD version" I'm referring to the Monkey Island Madness CD which was basically just the disk version, as I understand things.

Yes, it's true they removed copy protection... although I can't remember if they removed Lite mode? Is that true? I have my The Monkey Island Bounty Pack CD somewhere. I presume it's the same version included on that?

• Like 1

The MI2 CD version is just the floppy version with copy protection removed (which also removes lite mode since that and the copy protection screen is in the same "room") and with the ability to run it from CD while storing save games on the HDD. Unlike MI1, there are no separate EGA and VGA releases of MI2.

That video you posted up there just runs MI2 in EGA mode along with the PC speaker soundtrack, which lacks most of the music, but where the end credits medley is different. The Adlib and MT-32 soundtracks are both complete.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BaronGrackle said:

As far as I know, they were added by the team that did the CD-ROM edition, which was shortly after the main game and VGA upres were done. The Stan theme and the extension of the main themes weren’t done by Land. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

Yes, it's true they removed copy protection... although I can't remember if they removed Lite mode? Is that true?

I'm almost certain the CD release removed Lite. I remember a while back wanting to revisit Lite mode and popping in the CD thanks to computers doing away with floppy drives and being shocked to find it wasn't available.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Niemandswasser said:

I'm almost certain the CD release removed Lite. I remember a while back wanting to revisit Lite mode and popping in the CD thanks to computers doing away with floppy drives and being shocked to find it wasn't available.

You probably already know, but just in case you don't: running it on Scumm VM lets you play Lite Mode.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to repeat what I've been fixated on this year: haggling against Stan is so much more amazing than I ever knew while growing up.

If you're getting the Sea Monkey for 5000 with no extras, then you're letting Stan win. Get those Porthole Defoggers at least; you pay for them anyway! :D

Speedrun All Swag: Walk away twice, offer 2000, offer 5000 twice

Speedrun Don't Walk Away: Reject 5 extras (technically only the 4 after defoggers matter), offer 2000, offer 5000.

Best Value: 3000, porthole defoggers, another extra of your choice (get the elevator; it sounds expensive!)

Ultimate Talkie Edition: Get to hear Stan say his "two thousand LOUSY pieces of eight" line

Edited by BaronGrackle
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

https://www.eurogamer.net/the-secret-of-monkey-island-saw-25-of-its-dialogue-cut-before-release

Interesting, didn’t know that!

But funny as at my last playthroughs I really enjoyed the dialogues in MI1 and 2 (snappy and always funny/interesting!) and on the other hand felt that many of the dialogues in CMI and EMI were too long and sometimes a bit boring. Found myself several times just skipping the lines…

• Like 2
  • Wow 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've rambled on it, but I don't think I've yet linked these forums to the video kypello made of buying the Sea Monkey for 2000 lousy pieces of eight.

Possible on the Ultimate Talkie Edition from LogicDeluxe, which removes a bug that ignored Porthole Defoggers being rejected when the value is appraised.

Edited by BaronGrackle
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, BaronGrackle said:

I've rambled on it, but I don't think I've yet linked these forums to the video kypello made of buying the Sea Monkey for 2000 lousy pieces of eight.

Possible on the Ultimate Talkie Edition from LogicDeluxe, which removes a bug that ignored Porthole Defoggers being rejected when the value is appraised.

Boy, I just hate that voice for Stan... he's so damn sloooooow. 

This is Stan to me...

• Like 2

It’s not helped by the fact that you absolutely need to increase the dialogue speed in MI1SE (and presumably UT) for it to not sound ridiculously drawn out.

The version in Tales is good. I think it’s the same guy in the ReMI GamesCom video?

Escape’s was just a bit too on the nose as a Jim Carrey soundalike although it is admittedly appropriate. If they’d dialled it back a bit, perfection.

• Like 1

Yeah it’s Gavin Hammon playing Stan in Return, and he was Stan in Tales as well. (He’s also Kenny in The Walking Dead.)

Kurt Russell in Used Cars, like Stan himself, are both takes on Cal Worthington. Somewhere between Cal and The Music Man (archetype reused as the Monorail salesman in the Simpsons) — that fast talking nasal voice with a tiny drawl — is how I always pictured Stan in the original games, and the slow, smooth talking version in Curse never felt right to me. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I'm finally replaying MI1 in prep for next Monday (I mean I feel like I know the first three games off by heart)... and I'm sort of trying to break the game a little by NOT doing what it wants me to.

Like I'm NOT talking to the Important Looking Pirates, etc.

A nice little detail: You get slightly different dialogue if you talk to Otis before you talk to Shinetop (and you don't get the "pssst" scene, oddly). I love that stuff.

Anyway, playing it again just reminded me of the sleeping poodles puzzle: Was this the "monkey wrench" of MI1? Apparently the flowers are called "Caniche Endormi" but you only get that hint* from Otis if you select one particular dialogue choice at one particular point. If you miss it, it's gone forever.

* - Yes, apparently the flower's name is French for "sleeping poodle".

So how was anyone supposed to know that the flowers has a drowsy effect on dogs? Or poodles in particular? There's no clues anywhere in the game to that effect... is there?

Certain flowers have a poisonous effect on dogs, but is it widely known that they will get drowsy? Or is the idea that he was poisoning them, hence the "They're only sleeping!" message that pops up?

Maybe I just missed the dogs + flowers piece of general knowledge?

Edited by ThunderPeel2001
  • Like 2