Home

Monkey Island 2 Flash Film

Marius

Thank you all for the kind words ☺️

Online, people are nice as well, but slowly I’m getting comments like “Looks better than Return to Monkey Island”, and this just drags me down. The general criticism of the game bums me out already, but getting these comments on my video is just too much. I feel like I added another platform for these rude commentators.

It’s never “Personally, I like you art style better.”. It’s always stated as a fact: “This is better.” I’m paraphrasing, there are more detailed comments, but you can just feel that they are less interested in sharing their thoughts, but more interested in giving Return to Monkey Island another slap.

I’m super emotionally invested and my mind colors these things more dramatic then they maybe are. And luckily, there are only few comments like these. But I can’t help but feeling sad because of this.

Also: My art style better?! It’s ridiculous! I’m not talking myself down, I’m proud of the looks of the movie, but people don’t know what they are talking about.

I hope it doesn’t become more in the future.

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

It is sad, but I’ve personally stopped reading into it too much now. There is a clear pattern emerging of these idiots mostly coming from some pretty sad corners of the internet, for example you look at their Reddit profiles and they’re full of right-wing nonsense.

I think there is unfortunately a subset of fans of most things — after all, they were once children just like us — who also have an incredibly toxic view of the world, and a knack for sharing that toxicity far and wide.

In a funny sort of way it makes me feel better about it all, because frankly there is no helping those people. And so the only reasonable option is to disengage and not allow them to poison the good vibes, which is what I have been doing when the nastier comments appear in the Mojosphere — straight into the bin.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Marius, thank you for making this! My kids are absolutely obsessed with it and must have watched it at least 20 times. They keep on randomly blurting out 'I'll pee on the candle!' and falling into gales of laughter. (Hope they manage to resist this urge when they're at school... Erk.)

Excellent work. Dmnkly's cameo made my jaw drop. I especially loved the bit at 4:18 with Elaine!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/1/2022 at 8:48 AM, Marius said:

Online, people are nice as well, but slowly I’m getting comments like “Looks better than Return to Monkey Island”, and this just drags me down. The general criticism of the game bums me out already, but getting these comments on my video is just too much. I feel like I added another platform for these rude commentators.

It's a recruitment strategy. Same thing happened to David Puerta recently:
https://twitter.com/davidpuerta85/status/1543257811009867777?cxt=HHwWgsC44a6z4OoqAAAA

The places where positivity is even welcome are in rapid decline these days. I don't know, I kind of think in the long term for this. When naysayers will have long forgotten that there even was a Return to Monkey Island, I can still sing its praise.

And one day in the far future, you'll have to make a Return to Monkey Island flash film, just so people are up to speed for part seven.

• Like 1

I don't want to derail the discussion about Marius' lovely work much more but the repeated comment that confuses me the most e.g in the above tweet is how the art style is being perceived as too 'simple'. That just makes me worry for people's basic critical literacy.

It's like people notice that there's a sort of simple sort of shading and use of certain kinds of shapes going on and then just stop there. Did they not notice all the animation detail? All the scene decoration? Are they looking at the jail scene in MI1 and RMI and honestly arguing the former is more detailed?

Like, I don't mind if they don't like it but some people don't even seem to understand what they don't like.

Which is why I wanna disregard it as noise. And you're right they're using flattery as an attempt to draw you in

• Like 2

10 hours ago, tmetic said:

Marius, thank you for making this! My kids are absolutely obsessed with it and must have watched it at least 20 times. They keep on randomly blurting out 'I'll pee on the candle!' and falling into gales of laughter. (Hope they manage to resist this urge when they're at school... Erk.)

Excellent work. Dmnkly's cameo made my jaw drop. I especially loved the bit at 4:18 with Elaine!

Thank you so much for sharing this!! I also hope the kids move on to shouting "Spit on the candle!" soon.

And thanks everyone for reacting to my last post. Generally I know that I am not responsible for their behaviour, and don't need to feel a burden to "convince them to change their minds" bla bla.

Right now, I chose not to remove those comments, since they are only few, and they are not blatantly rude... ... ...

Hmm, but to be honest, I mostly don't throw them out because I still suffer from worrying what others think, and my head spirals into the thought of them noticing how I remove their comments and eventually I get flooded by more angry comments about censorship... You know, the kind of overthinking fear.

But it's ok, like I said, I don't feel pressure to do anything right now. Also, I downvoted their comments, which I am seriously proud of, because even that took a bit of courage.

Anyway. What I wanted to say is: Thank you for this platform here, where I can just share my feelings and feel heard. That alone makes my day much better. 😊

Also, while the views are steadily rising, these comments are still in the minority. So, all is great right now. :)

• Like 10