Home

Monkey Island 2 Flash Film

Marius

I've gone through all the youtube comments. Yes, there are those three, in short succession, and I totally understand why it makes no difference that they're in the minority. That's the thing with toxic comments. With toxicity, you don't need 50% poison in your blood stream for it to become lethal. Much less suffices.

Coolest comment translated for all those who don't speak German:

grdguardian: Good morning, this is nicely done, but there are some, you know, mistakes in regards to content. Was that done on purpose?

Marius: I know, the fisherman accidentally has two pipes. Some mistake with the layers.

A comment I also had to shrug about was the dude who felt entitled to have a German version before the English. Because you're German, apparently that only comes with duties, not privileges. Why would you serve the larger international audience first when your domestic audience is thirsting for this? 😆

Has it really just been 13 years since the Tales? It feels like 130. Maybe I'm way too nostalgic, maybe there was a horrific backlash when Telltale showed its first scenes from Tales. I just looked up the first trailer on Telltale's youtube channel though, and about the most negative thing I found was "I definitely prefer the 2D hand-drawn look. Especially in Curse'! That doesn't kill my excitement for this latest installment though. :)". And seriously, Telltale's graphic style was no less of a shock to lifelong fans than Terrible Toybox'. People were more polite and thankful for Monkey Island to return.

So maybe this is the age of entitlement, whining, right-wing disregard of other people's feelings, and destruction of fun for everybody else. Maybe this is why we can't have good things.

But it's also the age of interpassivity, and that's a soothing thought. It's an era in which we watch reaction videos to intensify our joy in narrative media. Joy created through other people's enjoyment, a perpetual motion device of positivity! And back on April 4th, I wasn't just royally fucking hyped because a new Monkey Island was announced, this hype was much intensified by your reaction video. It wasn't just "Monkey Island is back", it was "Majus is back" as well. Back in the Tales timeline, those 130 years ago, it wasn't even Telltale's episode trailers, it's been the IwwhiToMI series of Flash videos that was getting people infinitely hyped. The wait between episodes was excruciating, people were racing to the finish line and then suddenly there was the trampoline for our excitement, these Flash vids (and of course, the "I'm more piratey than you" video). You had yourself baked into that fandom and into the whole Monkey Island legacy. Dave is so right for retweeting everything you do. Think Monkey Island, think Marius.

This new Flash vid is incredible. All the good of the old plus guest star.

I don't think I would have drawn so damn much fan art in my life if it wasn't for you showing the world that some people and some franchises deserve that devotion, and the joy it brings to me for just throwing myself into a new piece regardless of the outcome quality.

So, yeah, I hate seeing you down like that. I understand why these comments sting, disproportionately so. I really want to play Bud Spencer, banging the heads of those youtube commenters together. But we can't be Bud or Batman, we can only ever be Barbara Streisand. And that means the only path open to us is to smack them silly with positivity. To not even react to the negativity in any way, but just place a ridiculously positive comment right beneath.

I think I can do it. In part, you showed me how.

Oh, and by the way.

R0OBfBU.png

My friend was overjoyed, and treated this with love and care, but put it behind glass, and it's been over a 100 years now, so it's a bit bleached out.

Maybe you can make a new one one of these days.

Edited by Vainamoinen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Vainamoinen said:

Maybe I'm way too nostalgic, maybe there was a horrific backlash when Telltale showed its first scenes from Tales. I just looked up the first trailer on Telltale's youtube channel though, and about the most negative thing I found was "I definitely prefer the 2D hand-drawn look. Especially in Curse'! That doesn't kill my excitement for this latest installment though. :)". And seriously, Telltale's graphic style was no less of a shock to lifelong fans than Terrible Toybox'.

YouTube comments weren’t a social network in and of itself at that point. Social media was generally just less of a thing. Everyone’s parents were starting to file into Facebook, but people weren’t using it as a news source. Twitter barely existed, Reddit barely existed (if it did yet)? Same with 4chan. It was a transitional time for sure, but still an era before everyone was pushed together into like-minded buckets by algorithms. It was also an era where the majority of fan conversations were still happening in heavily moderated spaces (like the Telltale forums) before all conversation was offloaded to third party spaces that were either optionally moderated or totally free for all. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you!

Just now, BillyCheers said:

Still amazing and full of great ideas! 😍

Thanks for the extra work.

So, next One CMI or Return? 😬

Oh man. Making this film made me want to make more animations again. I have ideas for Curse! And other films: I'd love to make an Escape one, and a film for Maniac Mansion.

But it's hard to say if I have time at all. Monkey 2 was a exception, fueled by the ReMI hype I was ok with spending a ton of free time on it.

We will see!

• Thanks 4

I personally think a ReMI animation makes the most sense to do next, then Ron's trilogy will be complete in Flash Animation form! In terms of the other games, the IWWH videos kindof cover Tales, and perhaps a Curse/Escape movie could be held off for potential remasters/rereleases of the games?...

1 minute ago, Marius said:

Thank you!

Oh man. Making this film made me want to make more animations again. I have ideas for Curse! And other films: I'd love to make an Escape one, and a film for Maniac Mansion.

But it's hard to say if I have time at all. Monkey 2 was a exception, fueled by the ReMI hype I was ok with spending a ton of free time on it.

We will see!

I think we are all happy for every new film you’ll do – whatever the game/subject or time. 😊

SPOILER-btw.: 

Did you try to get Norman Matt or was this one your first choice? (To be clear, he’s never a bad choice!)

I just replayed CMI in german and had a really fond nostalgic feeling , hearing his Guybrush again after a very long time, as he was my first introduction to MI. 

• Like 1

By the way, I *think* it might have been possible to get Norman Matt for those few lines, since he's a fan of MI himself. A few years ago I got him to do a few minutes of Guybrush narration for an audio-birthday-card I gave to a friend, which he was totally up to.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

Oh man I’d love to meet Norman one day.

I thought about casting him for the flash film, but first I wanted to see how @Dmnkly reacts if I ask him to record lines in German. He didn’t think about it, like, I told him about the idea and he immediately was like „Oh yeah, sure, yes!“! ❤️

Before the German version came out a lot of people hoped Norman would appear, but I‘m sure everyone agrees that hearing Dom say „I use the root beer to kill myself.“ in German is a super rare treasure.

• Thanks 2

I watched the German version just to see how well my high school German education stuck with me and....it definitely didn't :p I think I got "Hallo mein name ist Guybrush Threepwood" and Largo saying Tschuss...that was about it. One day I'd like to relearn it, I had a lot of fun with it until I had to drop the subject to make room for electives :(