Home

The Foods of Monkey Island 1 & 2

Remi

This is research for a future Mojo feature, and thus of the utmost importance:

I'm trying to compile a list of real-world food items referenced in the first two Monkey Island games. Specifically brands -- Cap'n Crunch, Cheetos, etc. -- and actual dishes, like vichyssoise. I'm not doing anything with beverages (Shirley Temple is out) but something like root beer float (referenced by the cannibals) is fair game.

Also, I'm limiting this to MI1 and MI2 for reasons that are completely unrelated to laziness.

My short list so far:

MI1

• Cap'n Crunch
  • Root beer float
  • Carrot cake
  • Rump roast
  • Red herring
  • Breath mints

MI2

• Cheetos
  • Vichyssoise
  • Toasted marshmallows/cotton
  • Weenies
  • Fruit cocktail
  • Saltines

Contribute, and you will be rewarded with... well, you just have to wait and see.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Scummbuddy said:

I'll have whatever Governor Phatt is having.

I was trying to figure that one out and concluded it was the same thing pigs eat. So more edible than IHOP in other words. 

• Haha 1

MI1

• Stewed Meat is technically in there (as is Stewed Fish)

MI2

• Toasted marshmallows (that are actually cotton swabs)
  • Oh, and are there any weenies left?
  • Fruit cocktail

When are Cheetos mentioned in to MI2? Is there some piece of dialogue I've never seen?!? (Or, more likely, forgotten.)

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

13 minutes ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

When are Cheetos mentioned in to MI2? Is there some piece of dialogue I've never seen?!? (Or, more likely, forgotten.)

They're referenced as Cheese Squigglies -- the non-copyrighted cheese treat also seen in Putt-Putt Saves The Zoo. (I was researching if it was an actual brand, but it doesn't look like it.) Related, the crackers found around Dinky are, going by the inventory, likely modeled after Saltines.

Are Saltine Crackers Healthy? | LIVESTRONG.COM

• Like 1

I assume Remi is thinking of Cheese Squigglies! Clearly distinct from CHEETOS®.

Are breath mints food? Of course they are! Probably only a calorie apiece, too.

In the Monkey Island 1 demo, the pot in the kitchen is full of unspecified soup. And if you add the meat it becomes "hunk of meat soup". And if you try to add the fish, it sucks to be you because Guybrush "doesn't like fish soup", the big baby.

God, has everything after the first line changed colour just because I had the temerity to copy and paste the Registered Trademark symbol? I hate the future.

Edited by Huz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

In MI1, Guybrush teases one of the Men of Low Moral Fiber by saying he likes rats "with a little wine sauce." Along with the cereal, the Sea Monkey contains cinnamon sticks and fine wine. Many bananas are found on Monkey Island. There's livestock on LeChuck's ship, and I doubt they're being raised for friendship. I don't know if ghost pork counts, though.

In M2, Governor Marley's party is referred to as a fish fry. Insulting Governor Phatt can include a reference to "bacon grease and pure fat." Among the suggestions that appear in the end credits:

- Or eat lime jello with pineapple in it.

- Or go out for pasta.

- Or invite some friends over for salmon and white wine.

In the library's card catalog, Yorkshire Pudding is a subject. Guybrush references ketchup when reading "Vegetables Children will Eat." There is a book called "Scourge of the Pizza" with the byline "Examination of forced olive consumption." There are also references to gumbo, tomato worms, and soda fountains.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Chef's Kiss 1

7 hours ago, Huz said:

I assume Remi is thinking of Cheese Squigglies! Clearly distinct from CHEETOS®.

Are breath mints food? Of course they are! Probably only a calorie apiece, too.

In the Monkey Island 1 demo, the pot in the kitchen is full of unspecified soup. And if you add the meat it becomes "hunk of meat soup". And if you try to add the fish, it sucks to be you because Guybrush "doesn't like fish soup", the big baby.

God, has everything after the first line changed colour just because I had the temerity to copy and paste the Registered Trademark symbol? I hate the future.

The SCUMM Bar kitchen has stew in the full version. If you add the meat, it returns to your inventory as "stewed meat." Likewise with the herring--guess Guybrush grew up between the demo and the full game!

Other foods:

MI1:

--Fettucini (obviously)

--Wax lips (It's food! Look it up!)

--Spice cake (One of LeChuck-as-Fester's manglings of "Threepwood")

Bananas

--Mushrooms (Guybrush hates them)

--Lemon (a case could be made for Lemonheads, the candy, as well)

MI2:

--Muenster cheese (the Men of Low Moral Fiber's rat's name is Muenster Monster)

--Potatoes (Bernard the chef is peeling and tossing them)

--Vanilla (the color of the envelope with Captain Kate's belongings)

--Birdseed ("parrot chow")

--Governor Phatt references a lot of different foods when he talks in his sleep--can't remember them all, but definitely eclaires, cheese, and chocolate sprinkles

--Whatever the fish is that Guybrush uses to win the bet with the angler

--Honey (Young Lindy invested in a restaurant chain called "Gangrene n Honey")

• Like 2
  • Chef's Kiss 2

16 minutes ago, CalisDraws said:

I'm not smart enough to contribute to the list but I am so intrigued... I want to see what the purpose of that list is.... 👀

Well, it is for Mojo, so clearly it’s for excellence. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Staple Remover said:

I’m sure it’s slightly off-topic but I would love to see someone make a cooking video (a La Binging With Babish) with the grog ingredients and/or directions to Monkey Island. 

Someone did try to replicate Grog with all the deadly ingredients removed, but it ended up being just alcohol with a whole lot of pepperoni which is just...awful. 

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...

To celebrate the launch, I’m thinking of putting together a celebratory meal featuring the food from the games. I’ve listed what I’m putting together so far below:

MI1: Grog (the real world recipe not the game, I'm fine consuming battery acid and SCUMM, but pepperoni in my drink is where I draw the line)

MI4: “Kudu” Jerky Pretzel

MI2: Saltines (yeah I know… but there’s like three food items in the game and I’m not putting a rat in a vichyssoise)

MI3: Blondbeard’s chicken and biscuit (I’m working on something to make that “special flavor”) ”AND MORE SLAW!”

MI5: Hardtack’s Potatoes

I’ll try to post pictures once I make it later this week. 

• Like 1
  • Chef's Kiss 1

19 minutes ago, Staple Remover said:

To celebrate the launch, I’m thinking of putting together a celebratory meal featuring the food from the games. I’ve listed what I’m putting together so far below:

MI1: Grog (the real world recipe not the game, I'm fine consuming battery acid and SCUMM, but pepperoni in my drink is where I draw the line)

MI4: “Kudu” Jerky Pretzel

MI2: Saltines (yeah I know… but there’s like three food items in the game and I’m not putting a rat in a vichyssoise)

MI3: Blondbeard’s chicken and biscuit (I’m working on something to make that “special flavor”) ”AND MORE SLAW!”

MI5: Hardtack’s Potatoes

I’ll try to post pictures once I make it later this week. 

I was considering something similar, but instead having a different drink as I play through each game. Here's what I'm thinking:

MI1: Root Beer cause we kill LeChuck with it

Mi2: Either a green alcoholic drink or Mountain Dew to represent the spit and the mixed drinks

MI3: Lemonade like Kenny's (but without the bottomless mug)

MI4: Coffee cause of Starbucaneers

MI5: Orange juice to represent the acidic Ichor that Moose drinks

• Like 3
  • Chef's Kiss 3

10 minutes ago, OzzieMonkey said:

I was considering something similar, but instead having a different drink as I play through each game. Here's what I'm thinking:

MI1: Root Beer cause we kill LeChuck with it

Mi2: Either a green alcoholic drink or Mountain Dew to represent the spit and the mixed drinks

MI3: Lemonade like Kenny's (but without the bottomless mug)

MI4: Coffee cause of Starbucaneers

MI5: Orange juice to represent the acidic Ichor that Moose drinks

This is a perfect list! 

• Thanks 1