Home

Remastered Games Wishlist

I know it’s just a dream wishlist and may not likely happen, but I’m curious what games you all would like to see remastered and what features you’d like to see included. My list is below:

The Curse of Monkey Island

Remastered Graphics (That ESRGAN upscale that Laserschwert made was perfect, and/or Bill Tiller was shopping around his examples as well)

- Live Orchestration Soundtrack because banjos. 
-  Additional cutscenes added would love to see the Elaine cutscenes from the finale

- “Plank of Love” music video 

- developer commentary 

Escape from Monkey Island

- Remastered Graphics - similar to the Grim Fandango treatment

- Add in the Monkey Kombat Chart to keep track of combinations

Tales of Monkey Island

- Remastered graphics - the Skunkape team did such a great job with Sam & Max that my hope is that they could someday give the same treatment to this series 

- Developer Commentary

- Flow the chapters together similar to Sam & Max 

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

-You guessed it, remastered graphics

- Live orchestration - Because I love this soundtrack 

- new Voice acting - controversial, but as much as I Love Doug Lee as Indy, the rest of it feels a little dated 

If I was feeling extra I would add Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine too but I’m not sure what I would want from it. But I’m curious to see what your dream remasters are!

• Like 4

Pretty much agree with all that and I'd add in the option of mouse controls for Escape. I'd really like to see a nice remastered collection like was done with Crash Bandicoot and Spyro, and while they're doing that maybe go back to MI1 and 2 to give them a polish of some rougher spots in the backgrounds and animation, remaster the opening credits of 2, put the stump joke back in voiced by Dom, stuff like that. I really just want as much to be done with the series as possible while the iron is hot.

On Fate of Atlantis, we do at least know that Noah Falstein wants nothing to do with a remaster because of the %#*^s bashing Ron. That's really unfortunate, but maybe someone else could still do a good job with it. I'd also love a remaster of Sam & Max Hit the Road, just to complete the set.

• Like 1

I‘d love to have a remaster of Zak McKracken.

But only if someone could bring it on the same level graphically as DOTT.

Because of the craziness of the game.

And of course new soundtrack.

But that would make it a remake not a remaster I guess.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MichaelSon said:

I‘d love to have a remaster of Zak McKracken.

But only if someone could bring it on the same level graphically as DOTT.

Because of the craziness of the game.

And of course new soundtrack.

But that would make it a remake not a remaster I guess.

I would love a remaster of Zac McKracken but I’m also a wimp and would want a mode where I won’t run out of money in the game. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah I didn't mention this earlier but I'd also love to see the earlier stuff remastered. Talkie versions of Maniac Mansion, Zak and Last Crusade would rule. Also a full talkie of Loom without the dialog cuts of the CD version should happen if Brian Moriarty gets to complete his trilogy. And why not, do The Dig while you're at it.

• Like 1

Personally, I think it's unlikely that the outstanding three Monkey Island games would receive high-end remasters/overhauls to the degree that MI1/2 recieved (Curse already being a very high standard aside from it's resolution/compression limitations, and the other two games both essentially being "a niche of a niche" and likely not being seen as worth the money by the studio). But theoretically, if a deal was able to be worked out to bundle all three games together into "lite - medium remasters" and released in a collection, I'd be all over that. Here's what I'd like to see.

The Curse of Monkey Island

- 4K Resolution (upscaled backgrounds with AI, redraw/trace character sprites in 4K. Uncompress the cutscenes.)

- Widescreen (expand 4:3 artwork to 16:9, see more of scrolling backdrops onscreen at once)

- Uncompressed soundtrack. (It exists already! The soundtrack is already wonderful. It just needs to be less compressed in-game. The same goes for the voices too.)

- Console/multi-platform support. (Bringing the game to modern platforms, giving it longevity after years of its' initial release.)

Escape From Monkey Island

- 4K Resolution (apparently on modern emulators, this fixes the issue of the character models being so compressed in-game? If so, great! We're halfway there!)

- Widescreen (if 3D art assets still exist to recapture backgrounds. If not, upscale the 4:3 backgrounds with AI.)

- Mouse-based control scheme, similar to Grim Fandango Remastered.

- Alexandra Boyd as Elaine (for the sake of continuity across the series. British Elaine should be the default voice in the remaster, with an option in the settings to toggle back to US Elaine should the players wish.)

- Uncompressed audio. (If the HQ audio for Curse's soundtrack exists, hopefully EMI's should too. Again, no need to update the music itself, just uncompress. The voices could do with uncompressing too.)

- Monkey Kombat chart from PS2 version patched into remaster.

- Console/multi-platform support. (Bringing the game to modern platforms, giving it longevity after years of its' initial release.)

EDIT: Thinking about it, Escape would probably be very difficult to convert into widescreen. Not only would they need to dig up the 3D background source files and recapture all of the backdrops (hoping their early 2000's software still works/is compatible in the meantime) but they'd have to do the same with the cutscenes as well, which rendered the characters and backdrops on different planes and later composited them together. I can't see them thinking widescreen would be worth the effort, so I'd anticipate they'd upscale/uncompress the 4:3 backdrops and cutscenes they have and make do.

Tales of Monkey Island

- Leilani Jones-Wilmore as the Voodoo Lady (again, for the purposes of continuity across the whole series.)

- Live recorded soundtrack. (Even if not the whole soundtrack, the signature pieces could really benefit from live recordings to maintain the quality of CMI/EMI's soundtracks. Other tracks could perhaps do with lifts using alternate instrument banks.)

- Improved lighting/shadows. (The Sam & Max remasters improved the first two seasons visuals in this department greatly, and it'd be great to see the same done for Tales.)

Edited by fentongames
  • Like 1

A CMI remaster with upscaled backgrounds and better audio would be nice, of course, but it’d be more like a “nice to have” to me.

I’d rather have an EMI remaster with better graphics and and point & click. The keyboard controls really are clunky and take away some of the fun (as everything takes so long). And maybe redo the background – never was a fan of those pre-rendered ones. 

As for a TMI remake/remaster my wish list would be:

- new character models for all the ones that were reused

- better lighting (especially Ep. 1)

- maybe P&C if possible

- Soundtrack with live instruments/orchestra

In the case of MI1 and MI2 I’d love to see the games remade with Rex Crowle adapting the look of Return. The scrapbook pictures in the ReMI trailer shows, how well that could work.

The voice cast could stay, although I’d personally prefer some of the more goofier voices to be recast. While remaking the games it could also be fun, if Ron Gilbert said down to change some puzzles slightly or incorporating new ones, to give the player something new not only in art and sound (although I’d prefer a completely new one after ReMI).

Edited by BillyCheers
  • Like 2

It has always been my dream to get a fully orchestrated Fate of Atlantis soundtrack. I mean ... most of the tracks don't even need a full orchestra and could be done with just a few instruments. But this OST really really deserves so much more attention and appreciation, because it's just awesome.

I don't need a FOA remaster, strictly speaking. I'd rather have a five part episodic series reboot: parts 2 to 4 would be the action, puzzle and team parts, they'd yield one stone disc each. You'd play all of the episodes in the order you choose with slight consequences on the storyline.

Yeah, I have this all mapped out.

The puzzle part has Indy infiltrating the Icelandian black market art thieves that Sophia sold Atlantean artifacts to. At the same time, Sophia is in equally uncharted waters – hunting for info at Princeton University. Indy sent her there. He wouldn't go himself, too afraid to meet his dad.

Sophia, of course, will meet Jones Sr., quite unexpectedly.

• Like 2

The things I want most in this order are:

•  A do-over of MI1SE. When it's a remaster I think the graphics should at least be trying to be in the spirit of the original, otherwise it's more of a remake. Also adopt the interface and other features of MI2SE. Add in the ability to mix and match any elements of old and new, including being able to switch between EGA, VGA and special edition, switch voices and music over in any mode, independently, etc.
  • Fix the stuff that went wrong in MI2SE. Again, lemme hear the new music with old graphics, if I want. Fix the MT-32 stuff or even better, emulate it so that it's closer to the original.
  • Tales. The Sam and Max ones give some precedent for doing this so it feels less out of reach than the other remasters.
  • Curse. It's well loved enough to deserve an upres and high fidelity soundtrack, and more tools exist now to make this plausible.
  • Escape: Maybe I'd be more willing to replay this if it got a bit of a makeover, and I feel like once you've done the others you should just complete the set.
  • Like 3

It wouldn't take much tweaking to make Last Crusade as much fun as Monkey Island if you ask me (I'm biased, obviously because I think it's such an underrated little gem). You'd just need to update the interface to MI's (small tweaks -- huge benefit) and edit some of the dialogue tree puzzles to make them things you could solve without trial and error. Voila! A really fun little game is hiding underneath.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 7/1/2022 at 6:36 PM, ThunderPeel2001 said:

It wouldn't take much tweaking to make Last Crusade as much fun as Monkey Island if you ask me (I'm biased, obviously because I think it's such an underrated little gem). You'd just need to update the interface to MI's (small tweaks -- huge benefit) and edit some of the dialogue tree puzzles to make them things you could solve without trial and error. Voila! A really fun little game is hiding underneath.

I wonder how hard that would be to do.
BTW: Does anyone know how to decompile an existing game so you get all the parts (code and graphics) to see?

• Like 2