Home

Name that Return to Monkey Island character

Vainamoinen

Okay, I keep hearing that Return would just rehash all the old stuff and just pour the old characters over us in hopes that this would trigger our nostalgia.

Then I see what's been released and I'm intrigued about all the new characters! And until they get real, author approved ones, let's give them some names.

Purveyor of the best name gets love and appreciation and, I don't want to promise too much, but maybe they also get a like. 🥰

Also tell us who's your favorite character and why! And you can speculate a bit about their role in the game until it actually releases.

Here's a short list of new characters for you to slap a genius name on:

(1) Ghost pirate violinist lady

She peaked our interest in the first teaser. Still the best design. Living dreads on the living dead. Also, violin skills!

(2) Ghost pirate crate delivery person

As seen in countless memes of the ReMI thread. Apparently LeChuck's right hand. Ghostified Largo maybe ... ahhh, naaah.

(3) Brr Muda Judge

That guy in the screenshot's icy court room, center in the trailer's fish eating contest. He's probs excruciatingly nice.

(4) Brr Muda Key King
Wears a crown of keys and according to Guybrush's scrap book, eats live fish.

(5) LeChuck's Zombie Chef
That mouth area really doesn't look particularly healthy. The civilized pirate looks away.

(6) Very Important Pirate 1 / Afro-Carribbean beardy dude

That animation looks like he's pouring his drink directly into his hat. Also that shirt collar would have brought J. C. Leyendecker to the very end of his skills.

(7) Very Important Pirate 2 / Pompous Pirate dude/dudette

Square cyan eye shadow, long dark hair, bright golden gloves, slim, a glorious purple dress with puffed sleeves that would make Anne Shirley rabid, and ... is that a pirate melon hat?!

(8) Very Important Pirate 3 / Spikey head pirate dude/dudette

Finally, a real pirate. A little small, but eyepatch. Possesses a bowl of chicks and is therefore evidently the most likable character in the whole game.

(9) Slim Pirate Fencer
Elaine faces her in front of the Giant Monkey Head. Red and Dark Cyan, stern look, square collar.

(10) First dude on a ship

Ship dudes have great sideburns. This one's a small dude with a giant paper ship on his head. Under his jacket, I think he's clothed with a fish net. Don't tell anyone.

(11) Second dude on a ship

This one's a giant dude with a miniature paper ship on his head. Also, trenchcoat. He's probably a private investigator. Is that an eypatch for both eyes? Also, sideburns.

(12) Locksmith of Melee Island

Always keeps that family portrait in the background. I also think he knows a bit about fencing!

(13)  Fisherman dude behind barrel in the Scumm Bar

Wild guess maybe, but with that dress, a fish lure on your hat, and that stern look ... it's Buyfrush Keepload, a mighty fisherman.

(14) The Squirrel™
As seen in the trailer on a tree. Oh come on. You just KNOW that one has a bigger role to play.

Edited by Vainamoinen
  • Like 1

I know they were just suggestions but I'm going to use your numbering as reference and come up with something for everything

1:[Violinist] Viola (for a blatant name)

2: Crate guy's name is steve but LeChuck calls him "Not-Largo"

3: Judge Reinhold (naturally)

4:I got nothing for the Key Queen(or king, it is hard to tell) ummm.... Lord Kiki? nah... I dunno but I can't wait to know more

5: Bernard the former Bloody lip chef had a rough go after we got him fired, lechuck is giving him a chance even if he had to reanimate him to do so.

6-8: I think they will be referred to by number (Important Looking Pirate #1,2,3) until a twist happens and #3 is revealed to be an heir of an old enemy 

9: in my breakdown I thought maybe this might be an aged Morgan but I admit that is a stretch and the years would have had to be very hard on her. I'd prefer this not to be the case.

10-11: Are "Kaid" and "Blok"  respectively, professional embargo-eers. (I skimmed through the first time and mixed them up, the big guy would definitely be Blok)

12: Ward the locksmith. The voodoo lady doesn't trust him, His keys hold a magic she is unable to understand

13: Castor the fisherman, afraid to ply his craft as Lord Kiki has imposed strict regulations around Fishing (namely: all fish are propery of the Monarchy)

14: Dale. That's it, no story just Dale. And he hates when you think it's because of this dumb old cartoon noone remembers

Edited by Glokidd
I am bad at writing good the first time lol
  • Like 1

A Captain Madison is mentioned in the game description on nintendo.com. 

Seems to be one of the new pirate leaders:

'Hip, young pirate leaders led by Captain Madison have shuffled the old guard from power, Melee Island has taken a turn for the worse, and famed businessman Stan has been imprisoned for ‘marketing-related crimes’.'

• Like 2

On 7/1/2022 at 12:49 PM, neoncolor8 said:

A Captain Madison is mentioned in the game description on nintendo.com. 

Seems to be one of the new pirate leaders:

'Hip, young pirate leaders led by Captain Madison have shuffled the old guard from power, Melee Island has taken a turn for the worse, and famed businessman Stan has been imprisoned for ‘marketing-related crimes’.'

I completely forgot that part, so I'm going to say #3 Is captain Madison only by the similarity to the silhouette that we see throwing Guybrush off a cliff or something.

More people should jump on this thread 😀 it was a lot of fun trying to guess 😀

• Like 1