Home

Please badmouth Secret VGA for me

BaronGrackle

1 hour ago, Torbjörn Andersson said:

Unless there's a bug in ScummVM that I've never heard of before, I guess I have to award this one to the VGA CD version:

mi1-flash.jpg

The flash when the voodoo lady disappears is different between the two versions as well, but there I couldn't say which one looks the best.

Bloody hell! Quick, someone check Dosbox/DREAMM/actual early 90s PC.

9 hours ago, Thrik said:

Bloody hell! Quick, someone check Dosbox/DREAMM/actual early 90s PC.

I don't have any DOSBox savegames near that spot, but if I understand it correctly the game has a helper script that implements three different operations:

• Remap all palette colors to the same color.
  • Remap one palette color to another.
  • Reset all palette color mappings.

The flash is implemented as a series of "remap all colors" plus "remap color 0 (presumably black) to another".

This looks fine at the voodoo lady's place, where large parts of the image is black and there is a symmetrical black border around the scene. But here only a few small bits are black, so it looks weird.

In the CD version it calls the helper script with the same parameters, but the "remap all palette colors" operation is implemented as some kind of hard-coded "brighten/darken palette" thing, and the "remap one color" operation is ignored.

So it's almost certainly not a ScummVM bug. From what I've seen on YouTube, the EGA version looked fine here, so I'd say it was a regression in the VGA floppy version that was fixed again in the CD version.

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, dwa said:

That's also a good time to mention some missing VGA objects that LogicDeluxe found back then!

https://lucasforumsarchive.com/thread/205018-missing-graphics-in-monkey-1

And yeah, they've been put back / drawn again for the Ultimate Talkie Edition… truly a labor of love.

Huh.

On the ghost ship right of the creaking door, there is a sign. The hotspot is there, and you can read it in every version of the game, but only in the EGA version, the sign is actually visible.

I'm curious but can't check now. Does anyone remember what the sign says?

49 minutes ago, dwa said:

That's also a good time to mention some missing VGA objects that LogicDeluxe found back then!

I guess it’s worth pointing out that the Mojo forums actually have a 100% complete lucasforums archive in them (available at the bottom of the main page) as opposed to the one from lucasforumsarchive.com, which is a partial scrape of archive.org. You should even be able to search it and stuff!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jake said:

I guess it’s worth pointing out that the Mojo forums actually have a 100% complete lucasforums archive in them (available at the bottom of the main page) as opposed to the one from lucasforumsarchive.com, which is a partial scrape of archive.org. You should even be able to search it and stuff!

Indeed:

2 hours ago, dwa said:

And yeah, they've been put back / drawn again for the Ultimate Talkie Edition… truly a labor of love.

Wow. EGA wins again (and also UTE).

Fortunately, the Ultimate Talkie release put it back!

By the way, looking at what's currently cooking in the ScummVM kitchen… these old menus you like are going to come back in style…

scummvm-monkey-ultimate-00000.png

Edited by dwa
  • Like 4
  • Chef's Kiss 2

18 hours ago, Torbjörn Andersson said:

Nothing very exciting, I'm afraid.

scummvm-monkey-00012.png

scummvm-monkey-00014.png

That's actually kind of funny. If I had known about that sign in my first playthrough, it would have just tantalized me with "Elaine is here and also probably a way to open that root crate".

As it was, I just operated under the go-to mindframe of "This is a door that kicks you out, so you must need to go in because adventure game!" :D

So I'm near the end of my first ever EGA play through and I decided to go with the ending where you spray Bob with the root beer. This brought up two questions/thoughts:

1. Is the animation in the EGA version different when Bob is sprayed compared to the VGA? Rather than smearing away like the other ghosts on Melee he kind of shrinks down to nothing. I could be completely misremembering, but I don't recall that animation at all in the VGA version when I used to play it.

2. I guess this ending has been decanonized if Bob appears in Return.... unless they try to explain him coming back in the game (which I think is unlikely).

31 minutes ago, madmardi said:

So I'm near the end of my first ever EGA play through and I decided to go with the ending where you spray Bob with the root beer. This brought up two questions/thoughts:

1. Is the animation in the EGA version different when Bob is sprayed compared to the VGA? Rather than smearing away like the other ghosts on Melee he kind of shrinks down to nothing. I could be completely misremembering, but I don't recall that animation at all in the VGA version when I used to play it.

2. I guess this ending has been decanonized if Bob appears in Return.... unless they try to explain him coming back in the game (which I think is unlikely).

1. VGA (or is it just the CD VGA?) has Bob disappear suddenly with an unassuming pop.

Is that how it looks in EGA?

2. Not necessarily! In Tales, Guybrush is root beer zapped at least once and seemingly has his spirit obliterated. He just respawns at the Crossroads and manages to reenter the living world again.

EDIT: New headcanon: When a ghost is zapped by root beer, the level of agony and drama is correlated to the wickedness of their spirit. Think of Zak McKraken needing to burn away his bad karma if he killed animals. This is why Ghost LeChuck's death is the most drawn out, and Ghost Guybrush's is the second most drawn out.

Bob is an innocent soul, so he goes quick and painlessly.

Edited by BaronGrackle

19 minutes ago, BaronGrackle said:

1. VGA (or is it just the CD VGA?) has Bob disappear suddenly with an unassuming pop.

Is that how it looks in EGA?

It is similar... but far as I can tell a little different. He kind of disappears quickly with a pop as well, but he first shrinks down towards the bottom of the screen. 

Actually, after watching the VGA version again it may be the same, but the animation just looks a LOT faster in the VGA and you don't really see the shrinking as much.

41 minutes ago, madmardi said:

It is similar... but far as I can tell a little different. He kind of disappears quickly with a pop as well, but he first shrinks down towards the bottom of the screen. 

Actually, after watching the VGA version again it may be the same, but the animation just looks a LOT faster in the VGA and you don't really see the shrinking as much.

How curious! Time to restart the EGA and assassinate Bob again.

- - -

"Why, Guybrush?!"

"Because I want to see what you look like when you die in this reality. Hold still."

Edited by BaronGrackle
  • Haha 4