Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

In all this excitement I forgot to mention that the plot of ReMI came to me in a dream:

Spoiler

In Return to Monkey Island, Guybrush returns to Melee Island years later, only to discover that it has been taken over by a mysterious, monkey-worshipping cult.

LeChuck (for some reason) informs him that to get to the bottom of this cult, he must travel to an island called Secret Island.

There he must find the Monkey of Secret Island.

So there you have it. Looking forward to playing that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Okay, we've all noticed the prevalence of keys in what we've seen so far. But nobody has noticed that Return to Monkey Island is actually an anagram of Moonlit Nerd Turns A Key

I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

Edited by KestrelPi
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

Okay, we've all noticed the prevalence of keys in what we've seen so far. But nobody has noticed that Return to Monkey Island is actually an anagram of Moonlit Nerd Turns A Key

I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

wait wait wait I've got this all WRONG

It's actually an anagram of

Loom Ad Intern Turns Key

I think we know who's coming back

Cobb (Character) - Giant Bomb

• Haha 1

Incidentally, Return To Monkey Island is also an anagram of:

Dinky's Lore Tournament, which is a good description of the last few days of this thread

and

Onto Dinky's E-Realm, Runt which coincidentally is a bad description of the end of Monkey Island 2

image.png

mi2-3.png

August is a solid guess. I think July could also be possible too dependent on how much more there is to do. I'm gonna predict we'll have a release date, the full cast, and a main trailer this time next month.

While there's been so much speculation, appreciation and apprehension about the visuals from all corners of the MI community, I'm just sat here hoping LeChuck's new voice doesn't suck.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, fentongames said:

August is a solid guess. I think July could also be possible too dependent on how much more there is to do. I'm gonna predict we'll have a release date, the full cast, and a main trailer this time next month.

While there's been so much speculation, appreciation and apprehension about the visuals from all corners of the MI community, I'm just sat here hoping LeChuck's new voice doesn't suck.

Do you think they will go with a different take for lechuck's voice?

Or get someone to a solid impression of the previous voice?

I can't wait for June! May has been such a drag.

6 minutes ago, Toymafia1988 said:

Do you think they will go with a different take for lechuck's voice?

Or get someone to a solid impression of the previous voice?

I can't wait for June! May has been such a drag.

I just don't want LeChuck's voice to sound really different/off just for this one game. That'll stand out tremendously if practically everybody else feels like (literally) a voice from the past except for him. I hope they get somebody who can imitate Boen's delivieries/voice closely enough while still giving a great performance. Similar to what Kevin Blackton did with human LeChuck in Tales. While we're throwing in suggestions, I remember there was a character in The Devil's Playhouse who sounded similar to LeChuck at times (the squid that lived inside Papierwaite, I forget the characters' name, I'm sorry!) If they can achieve the best of both worlds, I'll be happy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fentongames said:

I just don't want LeChuck's voice to sound really different/off just for this one game. That'll stand out tremendously if practically everybody else feels like (literally) a voice from the past except for him. I hope they get somebody who can imitate Boen's delivieries/voice closely enough while still giving a great performance. Similar to what Kevin Blackton did with human LeChuck in Tales. While we're throwing in suggestions, I remember there was a character in The Devil's Playhouse who sounded similar to LeChuck at times (the squid that lived inside Papierwaite, I forget the characters' name, I'm sorry!) If they can achieve the best of both worlds, I'll be happy.

I dunno, it wouldn't be the first time in the series someone has been replaced with a fairly different voice.

The thing is, getting someone to do an impression is I think rarely a good idea especially when the old actor is never coming back. You want someone who can take ownership of the character, and that's never going to happen if they're living in the shadow of a past performance. Plus often you just end up with an 'uncanny valley' version of the character no matter how hard you try, especially when the actor is so distinctive.

There are different ways to do menacing supernatural pirate, and I'd rather they chose someone who might sound jarring at first, if I leave satisfied that they nailed their version of the character.

Yeah, I'd usually follow that mindset too when recasting a character, but given that it's just this one game* , I'd rather have a performance that tries to follow along the lines of the LeChuck we've gotten to know and love. (Though admittedly, Boen is a hell of an act to follow!)

I feel like the other recastings in the series were a lesser issue. Stan's voice changes in every new game it seems (and from our discussion the other day, that may have been welcomed!) and Elaine in EMI, I always assumed was American just to make the Herman Toothrot twist seem vaguely plausible. (They could've made Herman British, I guess, but that would've probably been a giveaway!)  LeChuck is more important to get right, in my opinion. I trust them to make the right choice in regards to him.

*I'm presuming that Monkey Island will be done after this. At least in its' current form. We're getting Ron's third game and the closure that his trilogy never had, and let's be honest, may not be lucky enough to have all of the series' talent still with us in the years to come. I think a rerelease of CMI, EMI and TMI, all remastered and ported to consoles, is increasingly more likely, however.

I agree with both of you. It would be jarring if they went with a totally different voice for one game but at the same time, a sound alike would be super jarring. I found the tales of monkey island episode 1 voice distracting especially their laugh. I couldn't stop thinking about how Boen would have delivered the line.

Whatever the new voice sounds like, i just hope we can get a more scary LeChuck. 

I felt that LeChuck became less scary in the later games. More goofy. I hope they go back to the terror of the mi2 LeChuck.

I remember being terrified of zombie LeChuck. Whenever he appeared in the tunnels i would jump and be full of dread. 

Edited by Toymafia1988
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Toymafia1988 said:

I felt that LeChuck became less scary in the later games. More goofy. I hope they go back to the terror of the mi2 LeChuck.

I remember being terrified of zombie LeChuck. Whenever he appeared in the tunnels i would jump and be full of dread. 

I remember that feeling too, and I definitely agree he used to be scarier, but also I suppose part of that comes from... I was 10. I'm never going to feel the same way about LeChuck as i did back then, unless they make him genuinely terrifying, and I doubt they'll do that, so I think this might also be one of those 'you can never go home' type deals.

I think enough time has passed though that I'm ready for a less cartoonishly evil LeChuck and more of a legitimate threat.

Something I liked about the first couple of games is those cutscenes you got where you'd find out about LeChuck's progress dealing with you. It was creepy as he felt always just a couple of steps behind you and could jump out any moment, especially in 2. And he was menacing, even to his minions. They did a bit of that in CMI too I recall (I don't remember whether it was in EMI and they couldn't do it in Tales for plot reasons) but it wasn't quite so effective because it was played for laughs a lot of the time. It's difficult to take his Guybrush-tracking efforts seriously when they're being led by a man dressed as a cartoon dog who talks like goofy. I hope in return we get some serious 'Meanwhile...' action.

Edited by KestrelPi
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, KestrelPi said:

I remember that feeling too, and I definitely agree he used to be scarier, but also I suppose part of that comes from... I was 10. I'm never going to feel the same way about LeChuck as i did back then, unless they make him genuinely terrifying, and I doubt they'll do that, so I think this might also be one of those 'you can never go home' type deals.

I’d like to add to this that we can attribute a lot of LeChuck’s scaryness in SMI and MI2 to our own brains. In those games he’s just a little sprite of a couple of pixels tall without a voice, that means our brain fills in the gaps. Every scary undead wrinkle or gaping puss filled hole comes from our imagination, and the sound and delivery of his voice comes from our own fantasy. The sprites are wonderful in their quality that they can suggest all those things, but in the end we do a lot ourselves. (It might be one of the reasons why 16 year old Jake was so put off by the voices of CMI.)

Another point is the direction. I’ve watched all of Twin Peaks again last year, and I noticed that some characters change completely when David Lynch is not directing. Benjamin Horne? Clichéd evil businessman when directed by someone else. With the touch of Lynch however, he changes into this naughty nostalgic man child, it makes the character so much more interesting. Same can be said about *shudder* Wyndom Earle. He’s just a cartoon villain in most episodes, with his pan flute and his dancing and crazyness, but in the last episode of season 2, for the short scenes when he’s directed by Lynch, he becomes truly scary and menacing. Check out the scene where he gets Annie out of

the car… Gives me the creeps!

What I’m trying to say, is that if LeChuck was meant to be scarier in SMI and MI2, it might also be because of Ron’s direction, and we might get a bit of that back in this game!

• Like 1

About the voice of LeChuck. I’d get a voice actor that has the same

vocal range and depth as Earl Boen, give him a sample of the previous voice, give him some room to do his own thing, and give him directions when he sways too much away from Boen. It’s been done before with great results.

Boen cannot be replaced without anyone noticing, so the voice will sound different anyway. We’ll just have to accept that. I just hope it won’t be as jarring as Adam Harrington.

I’m really, really curious about who they will get, and what he sounds like!!

I would like to re suggest Garry Chalk, I think he could possibly do an excellent Boen-esque LeChuck I believe but still have it come out sounding his own way. His Willy T Wino in Thimbleweed Park was very similar in tone to say Boen as Dr: Silverman in the terminator films so I believe he could do his own version of that role in VO and have it sound good. I admit I'm not familiar with his more energetic deliveries which could make or break a good Yarrr and whatnot but I couldn't help but notice the similarities when replaying TP recently. I really want to hear his best pirate voice

Edited by Glokidd
  • Like 1