Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

16 hours ago, Toymafia88 said:

20220601_201453.png

I noticed in the different forums I'm in, you can tell when we're desperate for news as the topic eventually turn into talk about if Escape was good and what the Secret was 😂😂😂

Sorry hope that didn't sound rude, just a random thing i noticed.

Hope everyones having a good week 😁

Haha - definitely true! I think I'm mostly (partly?) to blame for both conversations recently! 

Man, when can we get some more fresh news so we can obsess over it instead?!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, madmardi said:

I guess I don't think it's my place try to influence creators when they are making their art (especially when they've been working on it for 2 years already!), so seeing as Ron created MI, my thoughts are that he can do whatever the *beep* he wants!

Same. Whatever my initial reactions were to the artwork, I just want Ron and Dave (and everyone else in the team) to give us the game they want to make. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Did we talk about this here yet?

At first I thought it's a funny tweet, but recently I wonder if Ron is hinting at something?

Like, is the arch some kind of portal between worlds/realities?

It made me curious because Ron tweeted this image from an old Star Trek episode on that same day (see below). Anybody knows what happens in that episode?

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, madmardi said:

Actually, that's not what I meant either. My *sigh* was just from the frustration at the feeling a need to defend being a fan of a LucasArts adventure game on a LucasArts adventure game fan site. 

Now, to be clear that tiredness is not directed at you or anyone here. In fact, I have generally found the group at Mixnmojo to be much more clear/verbose in their reasoning, and although I don't necessarily agree with some of the points, I respect them as valid reasons for not liking EFMI (or not liking it as much). Generally it's been a pretty robust debate, rather than some of the things I've seen in other MI fan groups on FB, such as "anything after Curse **beeping** sucked!". In fact, you seem to have a pretty informed decision, so I definitely respect it. You've played it multiple times and although I find it sad that your opinion for EFMI has gone downhill, opinions change. In fact, this time playing through them again my opinion of MI2 changed slightly for the worse as well.

I also recognize that this is what fans do - they pick apart their favourite games/movies/tv shows/songs/etc., compare them with each other, and basically overanalyze them to death. And just because you're a fan of one doesn't mean you are a fan of all. Maybe you liked it but there were just some things that didn't seem right... or simply that one did suck for you for some reason.

Anyways, the negativity that surrounded EFMI online, a game that I dearly loved when I first played it, was my first introduction of the negative or 'dark' side of fan communities back in 2000, so I guess I'm just sensitive. With the reaction to RtMI's graphics recently, it brought back a lot of memories of the fan reaction to EFMI.

But to address your other points more related to RtMI, I also am relieved that Ron isn't just ignoring everything after MI2... but strangely I don't think I would have been that upset if he had. I guess I don't think it's my place try to influence creators when they are making their art (especially when they've been working on it for 2 years already!), so seeing as Ron created MI, my thoughts are that he can do whatever the *beep* he wants!

Anyways, sorry for the long rant, and please know that nothing in here is directed at you. I've just been feeling a bit sad at all the negativity in the LA/MI community recently, so I've been debating whether I should disappear (again) for a while when RtMI is first released.

Sure, no worries! I'm glad that you draw the distinction between the criticism here and elsewhere on the internet because I do think there is a difference. Many people here have had literal decades to sit with their feelings about the game. So where we are now is different from the initial response (which from a lot of Mojo folks was largely positive, if you check the secret history) AND the subsequent reactionary backlash.

I think also the whole internet is in a different place from around 2000. There are many more lines of communications between developers and fans, and games themselves have changed. Apart from at the real fringes, indie games just weren't really a thing and the financial models that allow ReMI to exist now in the way that it will - as a probably mid-budget game developed by a small team, didn't exist.

I was going somewhere with this and I can't quite remember, but I think my point was that I think it'll be a little different this time. In some ways, it'll be worse, because there are a certain amount of people who decide that the privilege of being to talk to the people involved with the game means they can and should say whatever mean thing that comes to mind at the time - and we've already seen a bit of that.

But I think we're also past the point where we expect a new adventure game to be a AAA spectacular, bigger and grander than the last one. Adventure games are firmly in a niche, more than they ever were, and I think one of the challenges EMI had that is more obvious now than it was at the time is that it was in that transitional time when everyone still expected adventure games to be a Big Deal, but also nobody was willing to give them funding to match that.

I think the mood for most has shifted a bit from 'It's a new Monkey Island game, this has to be the biggest and best thing ever' to 'It's a new Monkey Island game, I never expected this, I'm just glad it's happening... I hope it's good.'

Edited by KestrelPi
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Marius said:

Did we talk about this here yet?

At first I thought it's a funny tweet, but recently I wonder if Ron is hinting at something?

Like, is the arch some kind of portal between worlds/realities?

It made me curious because Ron tweeted this image from an old Star Trek episode on that same day (see below). Anybody knows what happens in that episode?

Guybrush is a child on a starship holodeck theory in

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

by the way, that episode is, I believe, the City on the Edge of Forever:

"In the episode, Doctor Leonard McCoy (DeForest Kelley) accidentally overdoses himself with a dangerous drug. While not in his right mind, McCoy transports himself down to a mysterious planet and travels back in time through the Guardian of Forever, after which he changes history to such an extent that the Federation of Planets no longer exists. Captain Kirk (William Shatner) and Spock (Leonard Nimoy) follow McCoy to 1930 New York and attempt to discover how he changed history and restore their timeline. While in the past, Kirk falls in love with social worker Edith Keeler (Joan Collins) and is shocked when he and Spock realize that, in order to save his future, he must allow Keeler to die in a traffic accident. "

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

I think the mood for most has shifted a bit from 'It's a new Monkey Island game, this has to be the biggest and best thing ever' to 'It's a new Monkey Island game, I never expected this, I'm just glad it's happening... I hope it's good.'

Yea, that sounds about right. I'm still feeling immensely grateful that we will be getting another game, however it turns out. It also inspired me to go back and replay the others after 12+ years so that's a positive too. Heck, it even got me to play TP and Labyrinth for the first time!

Edited by madmardi
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

by the way, that episode is, I believe, the City on the Edge of Forever:

"In the episode, Doctor Leonard McCoy (DeForest Kelley) accidentally overdoses himself with a dangerous drug. While not in his right mind, McCoy transports himself down to a mysterious planet and travels back in time through the Guardian of Forever, after which he changes history to such an extent that the Federation of Planets no longer exists. Captain Kirk (William Shatner) and Spock (Leonard Nimoy) follow McCoy to 1930 New York and attempt to discover how he changed history and restore their timeline. While in the past, Kirk falls in love with social worker Edith Keeler (Joan Collins) and is shocked when he and Spock realize that, in order to save his future, he must allow Keeler to die in a traffic accident. "

Oooooh, that sounds interesting! I'm really starting to wonder now if there is a connection between Ron's two tweets...

Edited by madmardi

The Guardian of Forever reference is definitely very apt for where MI2 seemed to be taking the series. In fact the Voodoo Lady is rather direct about it:

VOODOO LADY: Big Whoop isn't just a treasure. It contains the secret to another world. Find that world and you'll be able to escape LeChuck forever.

Nothing particularly revealing, but it becomes a little more curious when we factor in the cut Largo/LeChuck dialogue:

LECHUCK: Aye...
LECHUCK: Largo...
LECHUCK: I hear that Guybrush is looking for the lost treasure of Big Whoop.
LECHUCK: This be true?
LARGO: Well... yes sir, but...
LARGO: What good can a chest full of money do him?
LECHUCK: It is not the treasure that is important.
LECHUCK: It is what is buried beneath the treasure that concerns me.
LECHUCK: He must not find the treasure of Big Whoop.
LECHUCK: See to it.

My current theory is the Tunnels provide unrestricted travel between worlds (and times potentially) to the bearer of the E-ticket. This has the benefit of providing the "narrative grease" if you will to allow RTMI to do as it will without stepping on the toes of Curse and beyond, or minimally to explain away potential future plot holes without hardline de-canonisation.

Whether RTMI ends up meaningfully exploring this aspect of 2 is a different question, but I'm fairly convinced it'll be at least minimally leveraged to enable whatever story Ron wishes to tell.

• Like 1

Although I don't find the idea to return to Mêlée Island that exciting for now, I'm definitely curious to see/hear how they will "stage" (?) the island.

According to the screenshots so far, the design and structure will be pretty close to MI1. The question is whether Michael Land will take up the familiar themes or create new ones - and also how the music is going to be in places that didn't have music in MI1. 
Although we also had a lot of new music in EMI for Mêlée (which I actually like very much!), the location was completely different and thus justified different music.

(I also just realized how great it is that we get the same composer for all six games - a luxury that is super rare, especially in the film world!).

• Like 1

I’m hoping the game won’t spend too much time on Melee. It’s a very played-out location, so I’d like them to keep it short but sweet. Hit us with some key locations and themes, then move it on. 😄

• Like 2

I suspect melee will be a significant location, since otherwise it would be weird to have it there - it looks like at least the shop, the new key shop, the lookout area, the prison and the governor's mansion will exist, but it also looks to be a lot more run down than before. I sort of like the idea of a melee that has become forgotten and run down.

Given that Melee originally had very little music, I'm not even sure if Land will do that island, maybe it'll be one of the others. Time will tell!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vainamoinen said:

Welllllll actually, if Escape from Monkey Island remains canon, Guybrush "washed up on the beaches of Mêlée Island™" and did in fact not ...

Well, I've never taken canon that seriously... I always interpreted "washed up" as "ended up". That could be through a "starship holodeck" rather than literally "washed up" by the ocean waves for all I'm concerned.

I also don't think that the Memoirs of Guybrush Threepwood can be taken as literal canon as well, as a) he probably has a pretty fuzzy memory of some events and b) he probably embellishes others.

Do I think he actually was washed up by the waves as shown in Escape, and then he turns to some non-existent camera and says out loud "I want to be a pirate!". No, and maybe this is why Herman's backstory didn't bother me that much either (and I still don't consider it a plothole). I think there are a lot of things in the MI series that are not supposed to be taken so literally - it's really how characters want to remember events rather than a historically accurate account of what really happened.

28 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

Given that Melee originally had very little music, I'm not even sure if Land will do that island, maybe it'll be one of the others. Time will tell!

As others have already mentioned, I absolutely can't wait for the music! I'm so excited that Land will be involved again - I can't wait to hear the Melee themes!

23 hours ago, KestrelPi said:

My mood hasn't shifted, at all. I never thought it could be the biggest and best thing ever, but, in true Monkey Island style, I think that Return will be the second greatest Monkey Island game I've ever seen. 🐵🏝️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Geez! I'm out of town for a few months/years and a new Monkey Island game gets announced?!?! And one actually helmed by Ron Gilbert?!?! Seriously, the guy had decades to do that and his choice of timeframe was now, when I'm off the grid?!?!

I demand he cancels the game and reannounces it next week.

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Elle said:

Geez! I'm out of town for a few months/years and a new Monkey Island game gets announced?!?! And one actually helmed by Ron Gilbert?!?! Seriously, the guy had decades to do that and his choice of timeframe was now, when I'm off the grid?!?!

I demand he cancels the game and reannounces it next week.

Don't worry, you'll be feeling impatient for more news in no time!

• Like 1