Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

57 minutes ago, Laserschwert said:

Some of those Twitter comments suggest that those left two pirates might be Bart and Fink. I never drew that connection, but they do look similar. Also, did Steve Purcell use his own face for the pirate on the right?

I wonder if Ron forgot he already addressed the thing that upset him on the original boxart in the sequel? :) Although I never made that connection before -- and Fink doesn't have a beard, and Bart looks far more dopey than the pirate on the box.

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

So  now that we have official confirmation that Stan is who Gavin Hammon is playing, this brings us back to Ron's comment on the cross-stitch. Everyone but Voodoo Lady and the monkey is confirmed....I'd be pretty disappointed if VL isn't in this but the piano playing monkey is returning. It feels like this is just a Ron Gilbert joke, no?

Also, now that Stan is confirmed, we can continue the speculation about how his presence keeps Curse's timeline intact. Stuck in the coffin the whole game? Kinda lame imo and would make we wish they just ignored Curse to let him have another unique business, unless it's a TARDIS-like coffin that is an entire shop we explore, I could see that happening . Stan clones/twins? Honestly, the idea of Stan himself being a franchise spread far and wide through the caribbean as different (identical) people fits really well to me. The time jump to post Tales? Probably the most likely and least messy, doesn't draw attention to canon questions at all.

I actually liked Gavin the most out of all of Stan's voice actors. I also remember him as Kenny from Telltale's Walking Dead series. Patrick Pinney was great as Stan in CoMI, but I felt his voice was a little forced in the Special Editions, which is a common complaint of mine for the voice acting in those games (more so the first one), especially the narrator. 

Edited by demone
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, madmardi said:

How many actors has Stan had?

Patrick Pinney, Patrick Fraley, and Gavin Hammond. Hammond returning for ReMI makes Fraley the only one-off, since Pinney returned for the two Special Editions. Personally I've never thought any of them got quite to the heart of his inborn Stanfulness, but Fraley was probably closest for me.

Sorry I'm late!

Y'all are some crazy bastards. Some beautiful, crazy bastards. Love this thread. Which I have spent half of today reading.

(Well... skimming. And sometimes reading. There's a lot.)

Mostly jumping in at the moment to send apologies for not responding to the request for VO for the stump joke. I'm usually pretty good about answering people, so the most likely scenario is that I either first got it on the run and totally forgot to respond, or it fell into the gap when Facebook and Instagram started filtering craptons of incoming messages into a "message requests" folder that I had no idea existed. When I finally found those, some of them were literally years old.

Either way, I suck. Copious apologies. Though performing Guybrush in an unofficial capacity probably isn't something I could have done anyway, so no harm done. Except for the non-responsive rudeness 😕

Anyway, do carry on. Please keep being awesome. There are, like, twenty threads in here I'd love to revive but I don't want to sow chaos.

(Not yet.)

😄

-Dom

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, OzzieMonkey said:

Honestly, the idea of Stan himself being a franchise spread far and wide through the caribbean as different (identical) people fits really well to me.

Oh god no. I've seen this trope so many times :( Please don't make Stan a weird clone that sells everything in the Caribbean. (Sorry Ozzie)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dmnkly said:

Sorry I'm late!

Y'all are some crazy bastards. Some beautiful, crazy bastards. Love this thread. Which I have spent half of today reading.

Mostly jumping in at the moment to send apologies for not responding to the request for VO for the stump joke. I'm usually pretty good about answering people, so the most likely scenario is that I either first got it on the run and totally forgot to respond, or it fell into the gap when Facebook and Instagram started filtering craptons of incoming messages into a "message requests" folder that I had no idea existed. When I finally found those, some of them were literally years old.

Either way, I suck. Copious apologies. Though performing Guybrush in an unofficial capacity probably isn't something I could have done anyway, so no harm done. Except for the non-responsive rudeness 😕

Anyway, do carry on. Please keep being awesome. There are, like, twenty threads in here I'd love to revive but I don't want to sow chaos.

(Not yet.)

😄

-Dom

Dom!!! Welcome! :)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dmnkly said:

Sorry I'm late!

(Not yet.)

😄

-Dom

The man, the myth, the legend is here! hi Dom! Can't wait to hear new lines from you in official capacity once again, it's honestly still surreal that it's happening, lord knows what it must be like for you.

8 minutes ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

Oh god no. I've seen this trope so many times :( Please don't make Stan a weird clone that sells everything in the Caribbean. (Sorry Ozzie)

Haha everyone's got their line, that's fair. You are right about it being a bit of an overdone trope. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OzzieMonkey said:

...it's honestly still surreal that it's happening, lord knows what it must be like for you.

It's always weird and surreal right up until I start reading the first few lines, and then it suddenly feels like the most natural thing in the world 🙂

(Hopefully it sounds that way, too. Fingers crossed.)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Dmnkly said:

It's always weird and surreal right up until I start reading the first few lines, and then it suddenly feels like the most natural thing in the world 🙂

You are a huge reason that Curse is the legendary game it is. You took those lines to the next level!

Now spill the beans on Return ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dmnkly said:

I'm so excited that I really can't find the right words to express it! Can't wait to hear your voice delivering new lines and making me laugh my ass off again!

I'm still in disbelief that we're getting another game after all these years - thank you for being a part of it!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dmnkly said:

Whatever Ron pays you we will pay double!! TELL US EVERYTHING!!!

Just kidding great to have you here! 😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KestrelPi said:

Haha, as you can see we're barely holding it together. And now joining us, someone who knows the answers to all our speculation, but can't say anything.

Yyyyyyyyeah, I did consider the possibility that jumping in may be more of an unintentional taunt than anything. And I'm sure the intentional (but meant in good humor!) taunt on Twitter this week probably didn't help. But yeah, even if I weren't the type to play it straight by nature, a Disney NDA definitely has a way of, um... solidifying my commitment to secrecy 😄

Edited by Dmnkly
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Dmnkly said:

Yyyyyyyyeah, I did consider the possibility that jumping in may be more of an unintentional taunt than anything. And I'm sure the intentional (but meant in good humor!) taunt on Twitter this week probably didn't help. But yeah, even if I weren't the type to play it straight by nature, a Disney NDA definitely has a way of, um... solidifying my commitment to secrecy 😄

Look...I think if anyone has earned the right to brag about inside knowledge, it's the voice of Guybrush Threepwood. That being said...I'm super jealous :p I wonder if what Ron said about the false secret in the script was true. Once the game is out it'd be interesting to hear what you read vs what we got, that's sure to generate some interesting discussion!

Edited by OzzieMonkey

2 minutes ago, OzzieMonkey said:

I wonder if what Ron said about the false secret in the script was true. Once the game is out it'd be interesting to hear what you read vs what we got, that's sure to generate some interesting discussion!

It's TOTALLY possible. I mean, I think it's highly unlikely, but if somebody were going to do something like that, it would absolutely be Ron. I am definitely considering the possibility that I will be just as surprised as you.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Dmnkly said:

It's TOTALLY possible. I mean, I think it's highly unlikely, but if somebody were going to do something like that, it would absolutely be Ron. I am definitely considering the possibility that I will be just as surprised as you.

It's also Disney, the company known for rotoscoping entire characters out of their movie trailers, so either way, there's increased likelihood of you being, as the kids say, punk'd. That and the fact that doing so would be a Star Wars reference (the whole Mark Hamill getting a false page for the Vader reveal thing), as Monkey Island likes to make abundant use of. 

Edited by OzzieMonkey

13 hours ago, Laserschwert said:

Some of those Twitter comments suggest that those left two pirates might be Bart and Fink. I never drew that connection, but they do look similar. Also, did Steve Purcell use his own face for the pirate on the right?

Considering the fairly complex lighting situation, he might have used reference of his own face for all the pirates including Guybrush. Working that way, I'd assume that likenesses aren't purposeful, but just happen. 🤨

5 hours ago, madmardi said:

How many actors has Stan had?

Shhhh!! 🤫 That's his personal business!! 

Edited by Vainamoinen

4 hours ago, Dmnkly said:

Though performing Guybrush in an unofficial capacity probably isn't something I could have done anyway

To be fair, that's pretty much what I assumed. I guess I should have asked last year, when there was no sign of ever being another MI game. 😉

• Like 3

8 hours ago, madmardi said:

Is this a returning or new voice actor ?

251A4101-EE22-45A3-A32A-2A8AA23F14CC.jpeg

Glad Stan is back although I kinda hoped they might get back Patrick Pinney.

Dom! I'm just so glad your back as Guybrush 😁

Edited by Toymafia88
  • Like 1