Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

And there it is! Woah, it's really looking nice!! Art and animation seems to go hand in hand really well and it's looking very cinematic with the dynamic camerawork and life in each scene. Didn't expect to see so many returning characters either!

A few immediate thoughts (will update as I process them):

- Carla seems to be back, and appears to be voiced by her SMISE voice actress, who also voiced the Voodoo Lady, Lelani Jones Wilmore, and since both characters appear in this trailer, I think it's safe to assume she'll be playing the Voodoo Lady again!

- Man, hearing Dmnkly again after all these years... it's like no time has passed at all!

- The "Tell Me About LOOM" pirate can be seen in the background of the bar!

- The three pirates in the Scumm Bar appear to be new characters rather than the pirate leaders.

- Everybody seems to be pretty much wearing their Monkey Island II attire. But the journal at the beginning references Tales, so it's still slightly confusing timewise as to when this game is set!

- Wally appears to be back, and has a new office/island it seems! Wonder if he's voiced by Neil Ross once again.

- No glimpse at LeChuck's voice yet. I guess they'll save that for the main game, if not sooner.

ALSO... WEBSITE UPDATE!! LOTS ON IT!!!

Return to Monkey Island | Coming 2022

STEAM WISHLIST:

Return to Monkey Island on Steam (steampowered.com)

NINTENDO WISHLIST:

Return to Monkey Island para Nintendo Switch - Nintendo

Edited by fentongames

I wonder if the version of the theme tune used in the trailer is representative of the one in the game. It's got quite a lot of range... way more of an orchestral direction than I expected. Not QUITE sure how I feel about that aspect, as I always feel like the theme sounds better with a smaller ensemble, but they do an amazing job with it here. Exciting!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

I wonder if the version of the theme tune used in the trailer is representative of the one in the game. It's got quite a lot of range... way more of an orchestral direction than I expected. Not QUITE sure how I feel about that aspect, as I always feel like the theme sounds better with a smaller ensemble, but they do an amazing job with it here. Exciting!

It also does sound like the orchestra is MIDI, which is to be expected with this sort of game. But I think it works because they've clearly layered in some real instruments on top of it to make it sound nicer, like that flute or whatever it is.

Looks like we have our answer about that other character from the teaser trailer, it was indeed a chef:

z4uJ4Rs.jpg

Speaking of which:

pUZqxul.jpg

Just a minute…

9lGrdtf.jpg

Looks like Switch and PC are the launch platforms:

DVfdq0F.jpg

• Wow 1

Whoaaaa!! This is absolutely amazing!! Man, this hits me in all the right places! Great trailer, it's jam packed and still doesn't answer too many questions!

My first thoughts:

- Goosebumps!

- The new theme song rendition sounds absolutely fantastic! I love the epicness of it!

- The designs look great! The whole thing has so much colour, detail and ambience!

- I love hearing Guybrush's voice again! He sounds a bit more mature this time around, like he's seen the world!

- I'm not too keen on the motion tween animation, but I guess I'll get used to it. It's a small price to pay for such a lustrous world filled with detail! And it worked for Broken Age too.

- Where's the release date?! And the big box edition?!

• Like 1

The Steam page has a brief, if vague, plot summary:

Return to Monkey Island is an unexpected, thrilling return of series creator Ron Gilbert that continues the story of the legendary adventure games The Secret of Monkey Island and Monkey Island 2: LeChuck’s Revenge developed in collaboration with Lucasfilm Games.

It’s been many years since Guybrush Threepwood was last locked in a battle of wits with his nemesis, the zombie pirate LeChuck. His true love, Elaine Marley, has turned her focus away from governing and Guybrush himself is adrift and unfulfilled, having never found the Secret of Monkey Island. Hip, young pirate leaders led by Captain Madison have shuffled the old guard from power, Melee Island has taken a turn for the worse, and famed businessman Stan has been imprisoned for ‘marketing-related crimes’.

Banter with old friends and new faces on familiar islands now under dangerous new leadership. Then, take to the high seas and explore the new and unknown as you work your way out of tough predicaments. Clever puzzles, bizarre situations, and devastating ripostes are all that stand between Guybrush and glory.

Edited by fentongames

OK, onto some details from the website:

Story information:

It’s been many years since Guybrush Threepwood was last locked in a battle of wits with his nemesis, the zombie pirate LeChuck. His true love, Elaine Marley, has turned her focus away from governing and Guybrush himself is adrift and unfulfilled, having never found the Secret of Monkey Island. Hip, young pirate leaders led by Captain Madison have shuffled the old guard from power, Melee Island has taken a turn for the worse, and famed businessman Stan has been imprisoned for ‘marketing-related crimes’.

Banter with old friends and new faces on familiar islands now under dangerous new leadership. Then, take to the high seas and explore the new and unknown as you work your way out of tough predicaments. Clever puzzles, bizarre situations, and devastating ripostes are all that stand between Guybrush and glory.

So, what that means is... looks like we are indeed dealing with a bit of a time skip. Do I detect a hint of grey in Guybrush's stubble and some wrinkles around the eyes, too? I also predicted Melee Island going downhill was going to be a plot point. I'm good at predicting stuff!

Then, on the interface:

Bringing classic point and click gameplay to the modern-day, intrepid pirates will solve puzzles and explore the islands with a clever evolution of classic adventure game controls. Context-sensitive interactions, reactive dialog trees, and an easy-to-use inventory system make pirating a breeze.

Context-sensitive interactions - called it. Still don't know what it means, but called it!

Reactive dialog trees - wonder what this is getting at.

easy-to-use-inventory system - Was it hard to use before though?

Locations:

Navigate the sometimes-friendly confines of Melee Island, a familiar place that finds itself under new management by leaders who have put the squeeze on old friends and new faces. Venture out into uncharted lands like the aptly named Terror Island and the chilling outposts of Brrr Muda to make allies and enemies alike.

Well... I have a love-hate relationship with the name 'Brrr Muda'

(edit: oh, we're NOT doing spoiler tags? I don't mind, but we should probably establish a convention)

Edited by KestrelPi

15 minutes ago, Lagomorph01 said:

- Oh, and I love the new Guybrush design... except for the stubby legs!

I'm kind of glad for the shorter brush, overall. I feel like ever since CMI the tendency has been to make him really loooooong and they've sort of retained that for the head, but they've redressed the balance a bit.

• Like 1

Just now, KestrelPi said:

I'm kind of glad for the shorter brush, overall. I feel like ever since CMI the tendency has been to make him really loooooong and they've sort of retained that for the head, but they've redressed the balance a bit.

I like a shorter Brush too!

Lanky Guybrush was only really used in CMI and TMI. I think EMI got the facial design perfect with a shorter stature.

I just think the walking animation looks a bit weird here, because of the stubby legs. Ah, what the heck, It'll probably grow on me. It's just nitpicking really.

28 minutes ago, Knight Owl said:

It also does sound like the orchestra is MIDI, which is to be expected with this sort of game. But I think it works because they've clearly layered in some real instruments on top of it to make it sound nicer, like that flute or whatever it is.

I'm not sure.... Sounds a lot like the sort of stock kind of tin whistle sounds you can get in sample packs nowadays. It's getting a bit harder to tell between samples and live nowadays because computers have enough ram to load samples that are packed with loads of articulations which make the performance sound more realistic, and multiple performances of the same note that are randomly picked between, legato transitions and so on. In any case, to me it sounds like this is a piece of music designed for the trailer, and we'll be getting something else in game.