Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

I purposefully went to sleep before the Direct because I figured I'd jinx it by staying up to watch it live, but then I couldn't sleep so I whipped my phone out and was so happy to see it's here!

Gosh, it looks amazing! So much better in motion (though I was already on board). It really feels epic, like this is gonna be the Monkey Island games to end all Monkey Island games. I'm so glad to see that the whole "one character isn't returning" thing was a definitely a classic Ron Gilbert bit about Jojo too 😂 And what's more, it looks like we're getting even more returning characters than initially thought! Hopefully that doesn't backfire, that they're used correctly and we get equally good new characters...but in Ron and Dave I trust. Goodness, it's all too much to take in! That storybook shot at the beginning looks like it might be that recap Dave mentioned in an interview...curious that there's an image of what is unmistakably Morgan and Elaine fighting from Tales...very curious indeed. It's amazing that we've seen so much tantalizing imagery and yet still clueless: that's a good trailer! Still no date, which is disapponting but hopefully we shall

know more soon. One last thing: if that's the theme, holy cow what an epic new arrangement. Ok, that's it for now, just had to get this stream of conciousness out of my system before I go back to bed. MONKEY ISLAND IS BACK BABY!

4 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

I'm not sure.... Sounds a lot like the sort of stock kind of tin whistle sounds you can get in sample packs nowadays. It's getting a bit harder to tell between samples and live nowadays because computers have enough ram to load samples that are packed with loads of articulations which make the performance sound more realistic, and multiple performances of the same note that are randomly picked between, legato transitions and so on. In any case, to me it sounds like this is a piece of music designed for the trailer, and we'll be getting something else in game.

Oh yeah, I think you might be right about that, it does sound a little sampley on a repeat listen. I know Peter McConnell is all about using real instruments, and the violin in the first trailer sounded super real, so I'm sure the final game will have a bunch of that.

1 minute ago, Knight Owl said:

Oh yeah, I think you might be right about that, it does sound a little sampley on a repeat listen. I know Peter McConnell is all about using real instruments, and the violin in the first trailer sounded super real, so I'm sure the final game will have a bunch of that.

I guess it's easier to get real violin in there when you're a violinist. But yeah, I'd say what we get in the actual game might be more live and a bit more understated.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BillyCheers said:

I think Ron mentioned somewhere that the score will be 100% orchestral... If they could get real instruments for the SE, they should be able for this one. 🧐

He said it would be live, not orchestral. And not 100% - that would probably be not particularly practical, there's some stuff that is just easier to manage or just source with samples. I might want a mellotron in my soundtrack, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna have access to one, etc. So I'm taking it to mean that the soundtrack was composed with live instruments in mind, and they used live instruments wherever that was practical.

Edited by KestrelPi
  • Like 1

Not a huge fan of the youtube comment section restarting the artstyle drama. I guess that was to be expected... *sigh*

I wouldn't mind if people weren't so rude and dramatic about it. People saying shit like Ron's ruined his own creation and that they wish this game never happened. I don't get it, I really don't. 

• Sad 1

I love everything about this!!! So many beloved characters make a return. And even the Screaming Narwhal, apparently.

Where's Winslow tho? Did he get officially retired to manage the Inventory?

So many things to digest!

Spoiler

nullAlso apparently Stan is in jail because of NFTs!null

image.png

• Like 1

Not a huge fan of the youtube comment section restarting the artstyle drama. I guess that was to be expected... *sigh*

Yeah... yeah. But I just remember: there will literally be no pleasing some people. Some people will only be happy if it:

a) looks exactly like Monkey 1 or 2 or possibly 3 with no changes to that style

b) looks 'amazing' in some undefined way that they can't actually explain.

Fact is, they've gone with a very distinct art style and not everyone's going to love it.

But I do hope that any sensible person, regardless of their own opinion of it, will now be able to see that the visuals in this game are done with a LOT of love and detail.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BillyCheers said:

I think, what I like most about the trailer is, that it all feels very adventurous – like the "real" pirate game Ron promised us. And even though it looks like much fun, it also looks kind of "serious", not too goofy. :)

Yeah, so far what we've seen seems a little more on the 'grounded' side of Monkey Island? It's got its anachronisms and comic bits, but it feels very atmospheric and moody.

4 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

Yeah... yeah. But I just remember: there will literally be no pleasing some people. Some people will only be happy if it:

a) looks exactly like Monkey 1 or 2 or possibly 3 with no changes to that style

b) looks 'amazing' in some undefined way that they can't actually explain.

Fact is, they've gone with a very distinct art style and not everyone's going to love it.

But I do hope that any sensible person, regardless of their own opinion of it, will now be able to see that the visuals in this game are done with a LOT of love and detail.

Literally this.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

Given the message that Jake has added, I'm going to remove the spoiler tags from my post and just assume we can talk about everything that is officially announced/shown in here.

👍 If people want a spoiler free anticipation thread we can add one, but I’m not sure how much use it’ll get. 

• Like 1

A series of random trailer observations (possible spoilers)

• Wally confirmed (a much more happy and content dude than in the last parts)
  • Swordmaster confirmed (and beefed as EFF)
  • Otis confirmed
  • Voodoo Lady confirmed (an aged variant?)
  • Scumm bar owner/ cook confirmed
  • Ask me about Loom™ dude confirmed
  • Zak McKracken squirrel confirmed (just kidding, or am I?)
  • "control Elaine" section back as possibility
  • fish eating contest probable
  • we have a new shadow shape to figure out
  • crate delivery guy not just in teaser
  • Violin ghost lady NOT spotted 0/11
  • Damn that LeChuck likes big and scary ships these days
  • Dynamic light source / lantern spotted
  • No other glimpses into UI / game mechanics
  • Guybrush design seems more ToMI than LCR to me (sleeves, blonde, slim)

And some rambling

"Storybook" may have been the wrong term for the style. But the scrapbook, that idea could have communicated his spark of inspiration better to me. And the fact of the matter is, I love scrapbooks, especially as a travel journal. From Nathan Drake's scribbles on his quest to find Avery's treasure to Jones Sr.'s grail diary. This has always had the whiff of great adventures for me, regardless of the style, because the scrap only ever is a piece torn out of reality, leaving you to remember – or imagine! – the entire rest. And thus, the Ploy of Rex finally makes total sense to me. He could not ever hit a style that would fit everybody's idea of the places and the characters, so he must scrapbook the (s)crap out of this game.

53 minutes ago, maritzac said:

I love everything about this!!!

Maritza!! The "Power Nap" Maritza!? So glad to meet you again!

Edited by Vainamoinen
  • Like 3