Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

4 hours ago, Vainamoinen said:

A series of random trailer observations (possible spoilers)

• Wally confirmed (a much more happy and content dude than in the last parts)
  • Swordmaster confirmed (and beefed as EFF)
  • Otis confirmed
  • Voodoo Lady confirmed (an aged variant?)
  • Scumm bar owner/ cook confirmed
  • Ask me about Loom™ dude confirmed
  • Zak McKracken squirrel confirmed (just kidding, or am I?)
  • "control Elaine" section back as possibility
  • fish eating contest probable
  • we have a new shadow shape to figure out
  • crate delivery guy not just in teaser
  • Violin ghost lady NOT spotted 0/11
  • Damn that LeChuck likes big and scary ships these days
  • Dynamic light source / lantern spotted
  • No other glimpses into UI / game mechanics
  • Guybrush design seems more ToMI than LCR to me (sleeves, blonde, slim)

And some rambling

"Storybook" may have been the wrong term for the style. But the scrapbook, that idea could have communicated his spark of inspiration better to me. And the fact of the matter is, I love scrapbooks, especially as a travel journal. From Nathan Drake's scribbles on his quest to find Avery's treasure to Jones Sr.'s grail diary. This has always had the whiff of great adventures for me, regardless of the style, because the scrap only ever is a piece torn out of reality, leaving you to remember – or imagine! – the entire rest. And thus, the Ploy of Rex finally makes total sense to me. He could not ever hit a style that would fit everybody's idea of the places and the characters, so he must scrapbook the (s)crap out of this game.

Maritza!! The "Power Nap" Maritza!? So glad to meet you again!

That's me!! Hi!!! :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toymafia88 said:

@Marius did you have some insider knowledge of when the trailer was going to drop? 😄😉

Just find it interesting the trailer drops right after your animation releases. 😂

Say 1 grog for yes, 2 grogs for no. 😂

Yeah, when the trailer didn't showed up at that Devolver keynote, I thought: OK, maybe I have enough time to finish the movie before the trailer comes out, that would be incredible! And I think soon after a rumor of a Nintendo Direct popped up. This "maybe deadline" motivated me to get the movie done soon, which I really needed. (Without a deadline it's production was kinda dragging.) I actually wanted to release it earlier, on June 22nd (15th anniversary of the first flash film).

Also, if you are part of a Nintendo Direct you have to keep it super hardcore secret. We almost got a slot for our Say No! More release last year, and were told to shut our mouths big time... Oh oh, I don't know if I was allowed to say that... I have to go! If they find me, I--

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I hate that among the comments on the trailer there's some dude that is really convinced that Steve Purcell has worked on every Monkey Island game. And uses this false premise to insist that the game looks like shit, and that the reason for that is Purcell is not involved for the first time. Damn that's so frustrating to witness.

38 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

I'm trying not to pay any attention to these people but it's not even that they have a different opinion it's that they're either extremely rude about it or they say things that are literally nonsense like 'it looks too corporate'

what ... does that... even mean... in the context of these visuals??

I enjoyed this one:

waited 30 years for this.

just when i wanted to say, whatever you do dont make it a leftist multiculti gender bs, i saw this ill graphic style.
this cant be saved anymore.
will definately not buy it.

22 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

Maybe I'm just optimistic but I really thought more people would get it when they saw it properly in motion. And then when I saw the trailer I thought 'yes! This is exactly what I was hoping it would be able to show about the art style'.

Realistically seeing it in motion was only ever going to tip people that were on the edge. For those that dislike the art, it's a fundamental issue rather than a superficial one.

I think it's fair to say it is a very polarising artstyle, and in a way that is a very fitting with the franchise's legacy.

I honestly just can't stand when they make these ridiculous claims that Ron is destroying his own creation and then hide behind "its my opinion." Nah, some of these are just personal attacks. 

Don't like the art style, fair enough, but don't attack the guy. 

Edited by demone
  • Like 4

The latest Mojo article states that the trailer mentions (twice) that The Secret will be revealed in this game. But actually, it doesn't. The narration said that Guybrush "finds" the Secret, the on-screen text says that it's "waiting to be discovered". Maybe this is nitpicking, but there might be ways for Guybrush to find the Secret, without revealing what it really is...

I feel like the internet is always going to internet about something and complain. I usually tend to avoid online discussions but this pulled me out of the woodwork after lurking on this site/scummbar.com for 23 years. Everyone here is so excited and looking forward to this game, and while I’m probably biased, I think this community is the best and our excitement matters to the team over a smattering of blog comments. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Laserschwert said:

The latest Mojo article states that the trailer mentions (twice) that The Secret will be revealed in this game. But actually, it doesn't. The narration said that Guybrush "finds" the Secret, the on-screen text says that it's "waiting to be discovered". Maybe this is nitpicking, but there might be ways for Guybrush to find the Secret, without revealing what it really is...

That is beyond nitpicking.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vainamoinen said:

A series of random trailer observations (possible spoilers)

• Wally confirmed (a much more happy and content dude than in the last parts)
  • Swordmaster confirmed (and beefed as EFF)
  • Otis confirmed
  • Voodoo Lady confirmed (an aged variant?)
  • Scumm bar owner/ cook confirmed
  • Ask me about Loom™ dude confirmed
  • Zak McKracken squirrel confirmed (just kidding, or am I?)
  • "control Elaine" section back as possibility
  • fish eating contest probable
  • we have a new shadow shape to figure out
  • crate delivery guy not just in teaser
  • Violin ghost lady NOT spotted 0/11
  • Damn that LeChuck likes big and scary ships these days
  • Dynamic light source / lantern spotted
  • No other glimpses into UI / game mechanics
  • Guybrush design seems more ToMI than LCR to me (sleeves, blonde, slim)

And some rambling

"Storybook" may have been the wrong term for the style. But the scrapbook, that idea could have communicated his spark of inspiration better to me. And the fact of the matter is, I love scrapbooks, especially as a travel journal. From Nathan Drake's scribbles on his quest to find Avery's treasure to Jones Sr.'s grail diary. This has always had the whiff of great adventures for me, regardless of the style, because the scrap only ever is a piece torn out of reality, leaving you to remember – or imagine! – the entire rest. And thus, the Ploy of Rex finally makes total sense to me. He could not ever hit a style that would fit everybody's idea of the places and the characters, so he must scrapbook the (s)crap out of this game.

Maritza!! The "Power Nap" Maritza!? So glad to meet you again!

And the Swordmaster as, probably, the new Governor of Mêlée Island (That part seems to be the Mansion).

In the overview of the website; "His true love, Elaine Marley, has turned her focus away from governing and Guybrush himself is adrift and unfulfilled..."

• Like 1

I also love that it seems we will also be getting several new villains in this game. Guybrush has amassed quite the rouge's gallery over the years, so it's great to continue and see new antagonists show up. I wonder if Largo will be in the game? I would love for his character fate to finally be wrapped up. If he is, I think that's one of the many surprises Ron will want to keep secret for players to experience firsthand in the game itself, especially since fans have been asking about him since LeChuck's Revenge came out. Also, I wouldn't mind some Governor Phatt lol

I'm so intrigued to see how this game will begin. Based off everything shown and said, the beginning will finally reveal what happened at the carnival and serve as a nice bridge into Curse, then jump ahead after Tales, acknowledging things that fit and avoiding anything that would limit the scope of their story. I love how Curse intentionally kept what happened at the carnival vague with Guybrush also fuzzy on the details; almost like was planned lol (I obviously know it wasn't but its awesome how that worked out). It's the best of all worlds in my opinion and I couldn't have hoped for it to work out better seeing as I love all the games that came before this one.

Speculation tangent; Maybe the game will open with modern-day Guybrush finally recalling what happened at the carnival, goes into a playable flashback, and the details of those memories serve as the foundation for him to start his new journey. Flash to the present and the new journey officially begins.

As for the secret, I'm not sure if I'm in the minority here, but I think it's time. I said before that I'm not expecting to be blown away by the secret simply because its relevance was really only in passing references in optional dialogue trees. I'm more invested in how everything is connected, which I imagine the secret is integral to. So, I say let's roll the dice and risk it.

One last thing I will say about the art style; I think it lends itself so well to the overall tone and vibe most Monkey Island games have. They have funny and outrageous characters and situations, but the core storylines are typically pretty serious and spooky. These art style really conveys the foreboding sense of something sinister going on just beneath the surface and is slowly revealing itself more and more as the story continues. This is what I loved so much about LeChuck's Revenge tone in particular so much. I love that I am already getting that same feeling from this trailer.

Edited by demone
  • Like 3

I was definitely someone who felt let down when they first saw the new designs on announcement... but honestly now I've had time for them to sink it, and finally watched the new trailer... I'm SUPER EXCITED. I think it looks great. It's completely its own thing. And so it should be. I think I'd actually have been a little disappointed if they'd gotten Purcell and Chan back (which is crazy talk considering how much I love their work). But this looks NEW and DIFFERENT. Ron was totally right to push the series in a new direction after all this time.

So consider me a Grumpy Curmudgeon converted to Excited Evangelist. I'm sure the rest of the grump sods who still can't get over the fact that the series hasn't looked the same twice in 30 years will come around eventually. I sure have. I CANNOT WAIT!

Heh, I found this one interesting/funny in one of the JS scripts of the webpage. I'm too lazy right now to breakpoint my way to the point that function is actually called and I can see what the input param contains besides the exports field. Maybe tomorrow.

image.png

Edited by Rum Rogers
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, KestrelPi said:

Ugh. Listen, uh. Ron did another blog post too and unless you would like to be sad, don't look at the comments.

The comments are at least 98% glowingly positive! There's been a huge sea change since the announcement, which is great to see. Yes, there's 2 or 3 (Edit: OK 8-10, I read further) mean ones, but in an ocean of positivity they don't count :)

I like this one in particular:

Some comments in here remind me about when The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker was first shown to the public. Almost everyone complained about the artstyle and how they hated it. Now it is celebrated as one of the most unique and possibly best games of the series. Having mixed reactions like this shows that the artstyle is not boring. Don‘t let it get to you Rex. You did great :) you too Ron!

Fans don't know shit! I remember reading the original fan reaction to Battlestar Galactica... it's a shame it's no longer online, but it's hilarious given how the reboot series ending up eclipsing the original.

Edited by ThunderPeel2001
  • Like 2

I've written about this before, but I often think how Monkey Island has just the right level of brand awareness and fandom popularity. Popular enough to keep it relevant after 32 years, but not too popular that it needs to please a huge and varied audience and must therefore lose a lot of character, quirkiness  and risk taking in the process, like what has happened to Star Wars.

So it's not the sort of property that has many casual fans. Those who love it, reallly love it. And I used to think this shielded Monkey island somehow from the usual internet vitriol. But reading some of the comments about the art style, the tone and meanness in which they are written, just saddens me to no end. I really thought this was a fandom immune to this sort of discourse.

Some people can let go of their childhood toys. No matter what. And it tends to permeate everything

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Romão said:

I've written about this before, but I often think how Monkey Island has just the right level of brand awareness and fandom popularity. Popular enough to keep it relevant after 32 years, but not too popular that it needs to please a huge and varied audience and must therefore lose a lot of character, quirkiness  and risk taking in the process, like what has happened to Star Wars.

So it's not the sort of property that has many casual fans. Those who love it, reallly love it. And I used to think this shielded Monkey island somehow from the usual internet vitriol. But reading some of the comments about the art style, the tone and meanness in which they are written, just saddens me to no end. I really thought this was a fandom immune to this sort of discourse.

Some people can let go of their childhood toys. No matter what. And it tends to permeate everything

Yep, that sums up my thoughts about that whole thing nicely. It's sad, but I refuse to let it damper my personal enjoyment of the game. Bring it on!

Admittedly, I was feeling naively triumphant after the trailer was released. I thought 'see? It's brilliant. Everyone will love it.' which of course wasn't gonna happen. So it was a bummer when I STILL saw some obnoxious comments on his blog. Like that one someone posted earlier where that one guy is gonna not play the game to own the libs or whatever.

But whatever. It doesn't matter. It's more distinctive, interesting looking and frankly higher production value than I ever expected a new MI game to be, so they can stew in their distaste for all I care. NEW MONKEY ISLAND! :D

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

Like that one someone posted earlier where that one guy is gonna not play the game to own the libs or whatever.

Aaaaaaa. Even if I was like, a right winger, I.... I don't see how this has any connection to that. "Liberals love geometric art styles" – like what? 

1 minute ago, Knight Owl said:

Aaaaaaa. Even if I was like, a right winger, I.... I don't see how this has any connection to that. "Liberals love geometric art styles" – like what? 

It was a general comment about wokeness and how the game better not be woke. Quote: "dont make it a leftist multiculti gender bs" [sic]

Edited by ThunderPeel2001