Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

I got tired of seeing a vocal minority spouting vitriol in supposedly LucasArts fans Facebook groups, so I created "Exited for Return to Monkey Island" group -- no shitposting allowed.

So if you're interested in having some positive ReMI stuff in your Facebook feed...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/excitedforreturntomonkeyisland/

Edited by ThunderPeel2001
  • Like 1

I was on board with the art style from the very first announcement and as much as I loved the trailer, I must say what truly convinced me how well the art style works with the gameplay was the interaction you can have with Stan on the official website.

It feels like a proper Monkey Island game though and through

Edited by Romão
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

Heh. I allowed myself one more post on Ron's blog after all as a little about-to-turn-40 treat. It's probably a bad idea. But we're all young once.

That was top notch, sir. It's a shame those pricks won't understand a word you've written. I'm also done arguing there. It's too much.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Romão said:

I was on board with the art style from the very first announcement and as much as I loved the trailer, I must say what truly convinced me how well the art style works with the gameplay was the interaction you can have with Stan on the official website.

It feels like a proper Monkey Island game though and through

I just knew that having seen what else Rex had made there was no way he was gonna half-ass an opportunity to work on Monkey Island so I expected that when we saw it all up and moving it really would click. Which has been true for me at least. But I agree that website was a really nice touch too, wasn't it? Really sort of brings it to life. Makes it feel real, and close.

I'm so pleased than every reservation I've had about Return to Monkey Island has completely evaporated since I completed my Thimbleweed Park playthrough (and realised it's actually a brilliant structured game with a satisfying and clever ending) and the trailer dropped (and showed me how great the game is going to look). 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

well, that's a wrap for hearing from Ron about the game. Thanks, Internet. Good job. *slow clap*

ac9NfRL.png

I'm so fucking angry about this. "The joy of sharing has been driven from me" that's absolutely heartbreaking. Internet discource is poison.

Can't blame him but good on Ron for always ready to defend his team and friends. It shouldn't be necessary, but having someone lead a project and always have their team's back is still awesome to see. I'm buying every version of this game I can lol

Edited by demone
  • Like 1

Man, this whole thing is so devastating – to have the joy of sharing art sucked out of you has got to be one worst feelings ever. No one should have to go through the kind of vitriol the team is getting, and I hope Ron shutting down the comments will lessen that at least a little. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Staple Remover said:

Do you all think there is anything we can do to better promote the positivity and support for the development teams? I feel fueled up to fight this with adoration but I don’t know how. 

Idk, it seems a bit tricky, since I doubt the team wants more notifications flooding their inboxes. But maybe we could all make a collaborative project or something to show our love and support? Idk.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Staple Remover said:

Do you all think there is anything we can do to better promote the positivity and support for the development teams? I feel fueled up to fight this with adoration but I don’t know how. 

Honestly, I just hope Ron visits this forum. It would be great if he made a profile and shared updates here. I think he would really enjoy the comments here. Even if there are disagreements here, they are civil from what I can see and lend themselves to a good discussion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KestrelPi said:

well, that's a wrap for hearing from Ron about the game. Thanks, Internet. Good job. *slow clap*

ac9NfRL.png

This just makes me sad.

From the looks of things I think the chance of ever getting another MI game is nil. And why? Because some fans were upset about the graphics. After over 10 years of thinking we would never have a new game, they chose to be upset about the art direction rather than excited that we were getting a new game.

I. Just. Don't. Get. It.

• Sad 2

I also feel a component of it is truly not engaging the negative comments. As hard as that is, it's just more fuel. People are not going to be swayed by any wall of text we might post. They see what they see. Also, on the other side of the spectrum, I've seen a lot of comments on YouTube and Twitter where someone who was actually just making a civil observation on the art style got cursed out by someone defending it. It does go both ways. No one on this forum as far as I've seen, but just a general observation. 

Edited by demone

The sad reality is that in this day and age is much preferable for a creator to work on new properties than tackle an IP with decades of fandom piled up. I doubt Ron Gilbert will ever tackle Monkey Island ever again. And I don't blame him

• Like 1

I am hopeful that the negativity will fade after people recalibrate their expectations. I think this was a sharp blast of emotion because the art is very different to what some longtime fans expected. I think the best thing to do is ignore the haters and just continue to discuss what is interesting about the game. Can you imagine the backlash about the MI2 ending if there had been social media in 1991??

• Like 4

Damn, that is depressing. I really dislike what fandom has become the last couple of years, and I think it shows just how unhappy a lot of people feel about the world and their place in it. If people were leading rich and fulfilling lives, they wouldn't need to ventilate so much hostility on someone else's product.

It makes me sad for Ron, Rex and their team. But it also makes me sad for the people who ventilate such toxicity. They must truly feel unhappy with themselves.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I don't do social media (I haven't got Twitter etc) and I haven't used a forum in 15 years, but I signed up just now as I'm so angry seeing this (I have been following this forum from afar).

Everything seems to get ruined these days, anytime I check comments on articles it's inevitable that some crazy folks are going mad about something. I thought Monkey Island fans would be better than this? Surely, they are of adult age but some of the things I've read are so disrespectful, even a child wouldn't say them. 

I wonder what goes on in the mind of some people, I can't fathom why anyone would want to sit there under a cloud of pure hatred and go on and on about the same thing. I actually feel quite sorry for them that they must live there lives in this way.

I feel bad for Ron and team, I hope Rex doesn't take this to heart. Hopefully they know this is a minority of crazies with too much time and nothing better to do than attack (hell, people are still going nuts over the Last Jedi so it never ends).

Ron cutting himself off is a shame as everyone misses out, but this is the way on social media, I guess those trolls will now be "happy" about their achievement. 

Anyway, add me to the list of "beyond excited", the trailer looked absolutely fantastic. It shows a lot without giving anything concrete away.

I still can't believe it's happening, I played most of the Monkey Islands over Christmas. Each year I usually play part 1 & 2 and then wonder what "really" happened. This year I added Curse to my list and although I like the game I always felt it cheated a little bit, so starting in the carnival gives me goosebumps! 

*Apologies for the long rambling!
Edited by OldAdventurer
  • Like 6

17 minutes ago, Kroms said:

Fandoms have always been obnoxious. I'm glad the general thrust on Mojo is positive, and I'd try to direct some of that at Ron Gilbert and the team.

The irony is that I've seen some of the most offensive posters claim that we're the ones in an echo-chamber. What a joke.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, OldAdventurer said:

*Apologies for the long rambling!

You're very welcome, and sign me up for the list of naive dunderheads who back in April thought that this kind of negativity would plague every game fandom besides, of course, Monkey Island.

When Drew Struzan looked back on his career, he noticed how the suits almost always approached him wanting to do something new, something fresh, something that hasn't been done before, something shocking, something provocative, something that isn't that easily digested. When he delivered what was asked, he was rejected, each and every time.

That might be, in a nutshell, our upbringing in narrative media. We've only ever experienced commercial art through a corporate normalization filter. We scream for something new, something fresh, something that hasn't been done before, something shocking, something provocative, something that isn't that easily digested. Once we get that, we're appalled.

7 minutes ago, OzzieMonkey said:

The irony is that I've seen some of the most offensive posters claim that we're the ones in an echo-chamber.

Make no mistake, this is an echo chamber.

But it's not the only forum I post in, it's the forum I retreat into to lick my wounds. Constant negativity itself is toxic, but a forum in which all members are more or less of the opinion that "the art is shit" won't even have the toxicity compared to a forum that has two deeply entrenched sides trying to find the ultimate insult that gives them a win.

This may be an echo chamber, but it's a big one, and I think the one that is both most representative and most knowledgeable of what they speak. I don't think it's too big headed to say that. The people who built this community are the same people who helped, say, build tools allowing us to play the games easily, still. They're the same people who now work for the people who made those games we love, the same people who have actually now made Monkey Island games. If I trust any echo chamber to have a true sense of what the vibe is around this game, it's this one.

And hey, if it is an echo chamber, I don't think it's one to an unhealthy degree - we disagree on stuff all the time, right?

Edited by KestrelPi
  • Like 1
  • Chef's Kiss 1