Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

16 minutes ago, Vainamoinen said:

Always encouraging to see they're still heading for a 2022 release – especially since Sea of Stars got pushed back to '23 and since November and December are undevolvery months to release anything in.

I'm not seeing that release date just around the corner though. It's indie development in the roaring twenties ... as soon as they're more or less done, they announce a release date in the following days, and even that might get pushed back as new bugs resurface.

I agree we're unlikely to see a release date until it's very close... but I would say what we're seeing lately is the widening of the mid-tier indie release, and Devolver being very much one of the kings of that kind of still-indie but has-a--bit-of-budget territory, and I think Devolver in general have tended to stick things closer to a traditional release schedule.

The only time I didn't think this was going to be late 2022 though is when the date wasn't announced with the trailer. All other signs point to sooner rather than later:

• They seem confident about 2022. Ron has said something like 'unless something disastrous happens'. And I don't think you need a disaster to slip from November 2022 to, like, January or something
  • These new Monkey Island Mondays. They probably don't plan to keep on pumping those out indefinitely
  • The fact that there are exactly 10 of them before Talk Like a Pirate day, a day that Ron HAS acknowledged in the past. Could be total coincidence, could speak to a release plan.
  • It probably isn't going to be released during that late-september through october heavy release window
  • Devolver aren't releasing any other games in September I think, but they are releasing something Mid-Auguest, so that suggests to me September is a perfect time for them to focus on Monkey Island.
  • They've put the credits in

But yeah, I think it's going to be something like... on talk like a pirate day they say 'and we're dropping it this thursday' or the week before that they announce a release for the following Monday. I think by the time we know the date it'll be very nearly out.

Edited by KestrelPi
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KestrelPi said:

But yeah, I think it's going to be something like... on talk like a pirate day they say 'and we're dropping it this thursday' or the week before that they announce a release for the following Monday. I think by the time we know the date it'll be very nearly out.

I'm fairly certain that a release (or rather just bombshell info) on Talk like a Pirate Day is something Terrible Toybox/Devolver think of as a "stars align" moment right now, in much the same way as the April 1st/4th announcement was a "stars align" moment. If it looks like it could work, they're doing it, but it's just a nice to have.

I mean, there are nicer things to have, like Return to Monkey Island in August. If they can do that, then personally, I don't need TlapD shenannigans. 😆

It feels like

30 minutes ago, Vainamoinen said:

I'm fairly certain that a release (or rather just bombshell info) on Talk like a Pirate Day is something Terrible Toybox/Devolver think of as a "stars align" moment right now, in much the same way as the April 1st/4th announcement was a "stars align" moment. If it looks like it could work, they're doing it, but it's just a nice to have.

I mean, there are nicer things to have, like Return to Monkey Island in August. If they can do that, then personally, I don't need TlapD shenannigans. 😆

Sure, but then again... I think that if they were going for that date then by now they'd have a pretty good idea if they're going to hit it. Been playable start to finish for months, the voices are done, probably all mastered by now, the credits are in, the bugs are ticking down, feels like we're entering the final phase of the development which is generally... kinda dull, but (mostly) predictable.

The worst thing that could happen is them discovering an absolutely game-breaking bit of logic which requires some redesigning around, because that's the kind of fix that is going to potentially hit the whole team but that's fairly unlikely at this stage of development as that kinda thing ought to have been caught early on by testers.

I think the main reason you wouldn't slap a date on the teailer is that either you weren't confident in it, or had a better plan for that announcement, and just reading the vibes in the room at the moment I'm thinking it's the latter.

1 hour ago, Vainamoinen said:

Sure we all love

Monkey Island Mondays

But now there's no news

on Sundays.

The curse of living in Australia means that for me it's Monkey Island Tuesdays...doesn't exactly roll off the tongue in the same way 😜

Edited by OzzieMonkey
  • Haha 2

Oh dang it. I did not realize they were up on Archive, by Dom himself. I wouldn't have bothered uploading them to SoundCloud but I also was having trouble finding them in mojo's archives so I thought they were a bit of lost media. Just wanted to give some people a bit of fun before the next MonkeyMonday, or TreasureTuesday for the Aussies.

• Like 1

Just now, KestrelPi said:

It's a very small snippet of new music but what I'm starting to hear is something that reminds me very much of CMI but with added Peter McConnell and Clint Bajakian, which is basically all I could ask for from a new MI soundtrack.

YES! Thanks! It sounds like a mix of COMI and EFMI and I fricking love it!

• Like 1

I think I probably said it before but I quite enjoyed EMI's soundtrack, but also think it was the least 'integrated' of the games in that I think you could kind of see the seams of each composer's involvement quite clearly, moreso than MI2.  So the thing that excites me are having them back but with the same sort of singularity of vision that we got from the CMI soundtrack, and IMO the MI2 soundtrack, diverse as that was.

• Chef's Kiss 1