Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

23 minutes ago, Vainamoinen said:

Could you elaborate on this a bit? I have no idea what this means. 🤔

The Wii was tales of MI’s target platform and it was really bare bones even by Telltale standards. There was no way all of Flotsam Town was going to fit in one scene, so it was split into two with a camera cut in the middle (between the courthouse and the glass blowers shop), which has a load delay the first time you visit it in any play session. It meant we could never present the town from a big wide shot like you see in the concept art. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Udvarnoky said:

But I think what was eventually learned is that at some base level the world needs to take itself seriously enough to work up some level of mystery and atmosphere.

That's something I still struggled a bit with Tales lately too. Well. To be clear I think Tales definitely gets to where it needs to go by the end, and I think that's why overall it lands, but I think something that is true about MI1 and 2 especially is that Guybrush himself takes his ideals and goals seriously, even if everyone around him is mocking him.

I don't think Tales Guybrush takes himself seriously a lot of the time. Even the winking-at-the-camera parts:

In MI2, Guybrush turns to the camera and says:

"Ha! Those guys  wouldn't know a  good story even if they paid fifty bucks for it. "

but then he follows it with:

"When I find Big Whoop I'll become legend among pirates for generations to come. 
If I could only charter a ship and get off this stinking island..."

He might have just brushed up against the fourth wall, but he's still serious about his aspirations and we're supposed to believe his adventures are 'real' enough to him.

In Tales, we open with the conceit that Guybrush has already been on a big adventure culminating in a sea battle with LeChuck. Which is a cool idea! But instead of hinting at some really cool and evocative things, and making us believe that Guybrush has really been through the wringer with some choice allusions to that unseen adventure, we get throwaway jokes like:

"I'll never forget the horrible hula of Hades I had to do to get this thing!"

Do I buy that Guybrush really had to do something called the hula of hades to get that Cutlass? Nah. It never comes up again. It is written as, and reads as, a throwaway line that sort of winks to the player and says 'eh, don't worry about what his adventure was, we'll just joke our way around it'.

And that's a choice. It's not necessarily wrong. It's a somewhat amusing line. But it sets a sort of tone, y'know? Of 'we're not taking the world building seriously' in a similar way to what I think you were alluding to up there.

(Again, I think Tales eventually strikes a decent balance, this is just an example of where it doesn't always work for me)

Whatever ReMI is, I hope it is commited to its world, and I'm optimistic about that.

Edited by KestrelPi

1 hour ago, Jake said:

The Wii was tales of MI’s target platform and it was really bare bones even by Telltale standards. There was no way all of Flotsam Town was going to fit in one scene, so it was split into two with a camera cut in the middle (between the courthouse and the glass blowers shop), which has a load delay the first time you visit it in any play session. It meant we could never present the town from a big wide shot like you see in the concept art. 

... and I really love these establishing shots, they give a great sense of place. 🥺

4 hours ago, Udvarnoky said:

But I think what was eventually learned is that at some base level the world needs to take itself seriously enough to work up some level of mystery and atmosphere.

Very good point. I think that's why I dislike the first SE so much. They played everything for laughs. I like the fact that Ron has focussed on making a solid pirate adventure again. I can't wait...

The new game absolutely has to be pixel art and if it's not it will be totally ruined! 😠

Oh no, wait... The new art looks really cool and is making me even more excited to play the game. Now that's a plot twist I wasn't expecting considering what a nostalgia-loving-change-o-phobe I am 😁

In other news...

7 hours ago, madmardi said:

Honestly, I don't expect to change people's opinions, but if I can get even one person to replay the game and have a slightly more positive experience with it then I'll take that as a win.

I've never been keen on Escape but your comments have made me look forward to playing it again and being open to enjoying it even more this time! 👍

Also, hello everyone 👋 I'm new and I've just read through this whole thread.

Right, back to your interesting discussions.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Chef's Kiss 1

1 hour ago, KestrelPi said:

Let's predict what we'll be shown on Monday.

We've seen a chapter title screen, the new version of a familiar location so my guess is that the next one will show off something about how the UI works.

If they keep up the trend of 10 second  clips, it'll be just enough time to show Guybrush looking at one item in his inventory 😜

• Like 2

I predict that we will be shown absolutely nothing of the location Monkey Island™ until release. They've taken so much care to not show us anything. I'm rather certain that the entirety of Monkey Island is one big whoop boo boo spoiler alert. 🙈

Inventory items, also extremely spoilery. No inventory items will be shown. I mean, what if Guybrush has 69 Pieces o' Eight in his inventory and by pure deduction we guess the entirety of the game? ( @Al.DeHyde will know why this is hilariously funny if, you know, he did the thing) 🙉

Unless the UI is some miraculous new invention that enthralls both the "I'll point and click on it even if it's just the trailer" as well as the "sure I'm sitting in front of my PC using a console controller for a lucas-artsy adventure game" crowd, I also predict we will not be shown how the UI works. 🙊

My guess would be that (a) they show us more of Melee Island, because they've been using that nostalgia hook and first-part-no-foul spoiler policy for a while now; (b) it will contain or even be music from the game and (c) that music will comprise some motif that gives us some hints as to what locations or characters to expect.

Edited by Vainamoinen

On 4/7/2022 at 5:56 PM, Udvarnoky said:

I fear some people are going to judge this game against their conception of some mythical version of MI3 circa 1992 (a game that doesn't exist and never did), which is gonna lead nowhere pleasant or even responsible. What we're getting is the Monkey Island he's decided he wants to make today -- whatever that might mean. Enjoy the ride!

In honour of some recent rejoiners I also decided I'd go through the thread from the beginning, and may I just say this from page 5 is still on point.

• Like 1

By the way, yes, I click on those fish bones to pick them up.

Then I use the corn starch with the vichysoisse.

I then use the solidified vichysoisse with the fish bone and mold a tasty raw fish lookalike.

This enables Guybrush to win the raw fish eating contest that the Brr Muda monarch usually dominates.

I will totally rock at Return to Monkey Island, y'all. 🤘

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Vainamoinen said:

I predict that we will be shown absolutely nothing of the location Monkey Island™ until release. They've taken so much care to not show us anything. I'm rather certain that the entirety of Monkey Island is one big whoop boo boo spoiler alert. 🙈

They have shown us a bit, though--we've seen the giant monkey head in a couple shots. The jungle area where we saw LeChuck in the trailer could be set there as well.

1 hour ago, Niemandswasser said:

They have shown us a bit, though--we've seen the giant monkey head in a couple shots. The jungle area where we saw LeChuck in the trailer could be set there as well.

Just out of the habit of contradicting myself, I'm also pretty certain the Marley Foundation is on Monkey Island.