Home

Return to Monkey Island

Rum Rogers

1 minute ago, KestrelPi said:

Come to think of it, why DID the ride in CMI have that snow section? All the others were scenes to do with events of the previous games (or their lore) - why snow and yetis suddenly. It would be fun if Brrr Muda retroactively justified the existence of that scene on the ride....

Cause LeChuck is fire. And the writers needed something that beats fire. Ice! (That and the ride is called "Monkey Mountain!")

1 minute ago, Vainamoinen said:

Do we have any idea what engine they use, is it by any chance the one Ron programmed for Thimbleweed Park?

Delores when you start it up describes itself as a 'prototype' for the new engine they were making, which I assume means that they were making it for ReMI - unclear if it's a completely new engine or just an update of the old one though. Maybe someone who knows more about digging around in files can figure that one out.

3 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

Come to think of it, why DID the ride in CMI have that snow section? All the others were scenes to do with events of the previous games (or their lore) - why snow and yetis suddenly. It would be fun if Brrr Muda retroactively justified the existence of that scene on the ride....

It’s just the Matterhorn right? Including the yeti 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

I don't mind the comparison but I don't know that I'm yet sold on Brrr Muda as a concept. Obviously we don't know much about it yet but between the pun name, the very video gamey conceit of 'what haven't we done before? Ah, an ice level!' it still seems a bit odd to me, almost too on-the-nose as a kind of location MI hasn't done before, but it might make perfect sense in the context of the story.

When I played through SoMI again recently, I noticed that one of the boats Stan can talk about is a viking boat, and he has this to say about it:

She comes from a land far to the North, where the sea is as unforgiving as the men are tough and--
--hey, you wouldn't happen to be from there would you? You just seem to have a sort of Nordic quality about you^

Idk, could that be what Brr Muda is?

• Chef's Kiss 2

33 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

I don't mind the comparison but I don't know that I'm yet sold on Brrr Muda as a concept. Obviously we don't know much about it yet but between the pun name, the very video gamey conceit of 'what haven't we done before? Ah, an ice level!' it still seems a bit odd to me, almost too on-the-nose as a kind of location MI hasn't done before, but it might make perfect sense in the context of the story.

If they continue with the surrealism that really started to go crazy at the end of MI2, then this island might even be an extension of that. 

This is a tangent from the locations discussion, but I always put more stock in there being something much more complicated and even disturbing to the reality of MI and it not just being the over-imagination of two brothers. Perhaps that's a factor, but the idea that something just isn't right in the world of MI was what I really felt in MI2 specifically and I would love for that theme to continue in different and unique ways. 

Edited by demone

20 minutes ago, demone said:

If they continue with the surrealism that really started to go crazy at the end of MI2, then this island might even be an extension of that. 

This is a tangent from the locations discussion, but I always put more stock in there being something much more complicated and even disturbing to the reality of MI and it not just being the over-imagination of two brothers. Perhaps that's a factor, but the idea that something just isn't right in the world of MI was what I really felt in MI2 specifically and I would love for that theme to continue in different and unique ways. 

Oh yeah, I'm totally ready for it to make sense in context, it's just ostensibly a noticeably goofier name and concept than anything else the game has shown us so far, and I'm just... curious about it is all.

1 hour ago, Knight Owl said:

When I played through SoMI again recently, I noticed that one of the boats Stan can talk about is a viking boat, and he has this to say about it:

She comes from a land far to the North, where the sea is as unforgiving as the men are tough and--
--hey, you wouldn't happen to be from there would you? You just seem to have a sort of Nordic quality about you^

Idk, could that be what Brr Muda is?

Maybe, but pretty sure that's just a Viking longship, and I doubt the game plans on taking us THAT far away from the Caribbean. But who knows!

The islands have all been quite close together in previous games. Do we think Guybrush will have to travel a bit further to get to Brr Muda considering the weather difference?

Just now, KestrelPi said:

Maybe, but pretty sure that's just a Viking longship, and I doubt the game plans on taking us THAT far away from the Caribbean. But who knows!

That's funny, I was just typing my post about travelling further when you added yours!

19 minutes ago, Vainamoinen said:

Hope they're not overdoing the "mighty pirate" line.

Tales kind of ran that joke into the ground.

That made me curious actually, and so I searched the game script. How many mighty pirate references?

MI1: 4

MI2: 1 (in the end sequence. That sort of surprised me)

CMI: 12

Wasn't able to find the others... Perhaps it was CMI that started the trend of overusing this one. As for the new one, I imagine they cherry picked this for the tease, hopefully it's not overdone.

• Like 2
  • Chef's Kiss 1

41 minutes ago, KestrelPi said:

Wasn't able to find the others... Perhaps it was CMI that started the trend of overusing this one. As for the new one, I imagine they cherry picked this for the tease, hopefully it's not overdone.

Unless the pyrite parrot returns, I'd say there's a good chance they won't.

3 hours ago, KestrelPi said:

Sure, but I mean what's it doing in this ride of otherwise LeChuck/Monkey Island lore themed scenes?

Any answer from us would be headcanon.

(But it's totally because the Big Whoop Amusement Park is an elemental force of reality/fantasy beyond LeChuck's control and the Matterhorn section existed without LeChuck constructing it - it just existed because Big Whoop predates LeChuck whooaah spooky mystery child at Disneyland whoOoaaah - and obviously the room wouldn't have even been connected to the roller coaster track but Elaine saw it and pulled the levers to connect them because she deduced the probability of Guybrush being able to defeat LeChuck in that room k thnx bye.)

1 minute ago, Knight Owl said:

So is the judge named judge Plank? I think that’s what he said

Correct. And Schafer originally wanted Guybrush to be called Hank Plank.

It’s only safe to assume Guybrush, LeChuck, ElCarlo, and Plank are quadruplets. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Vainamoinen said:

Do we have any idea what engine they use, is it by any chance the one Ron programmed for Thimbleweed Park?

It's an evolution of the engine he built for Thimbleweed Park (he wrote a blog explaining all the things he wished he'd done differently). He then made the free mini-game Delores to test out this new evolution (and made the engine open source for others to play with).

I would guess that Delores is where you want to look if you're interested in how the interface is going to work.

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

1 minute ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

It's an evolution of the engine he built for Thimbleweed Park (he wrote a blog explaining all the things he wished he'd done differently). He then made the free mini-game Delores to test out this new evolution (and made the engine open source for others to play with).

I would guess that Delores is where you want to look if you're interested in how the interface is going to work.

It feels like the context sensitive stuff was there but the implementation felt quite clunky, which I suppose was to be expected for a prototype.

He released the prototype in I think May of 2020 (or March? It was one of the M months), a couple of months before starting work on ReMI, and in November in the Dev Diary said "Thinking about the ui. I hate the current status-quo." - so I'm guessing he considered what was going on in Delores still not "it" and the UI work went through considerable iterations since then. They sounded pretty excited by what they came up with.

1 hour ago, Remi said:

Correct. And Schafer originally wanted Guybrush to be called Hank Plank.

I didn't know that, but then I Googled and found this amazing Live Tweet of Tim playing MI2 (which I'd totally missed)...

https://scummbar.com/games/index.php?game=2&sub=info&todo=21

What a swanky website. I can't believe I didn't know about it!

6 hours ago, Knight Owl said:

In thimbleweed park you could turn off the wobble if you went into the prefs.json file, so I'd assume the same is true here

You could what?! I was joking about not knowing about The Scumm Bar... I really didn't know about this. Damn, I suffered for nothing.

• Haha 2
  • Chef's Kiss 1